Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shurflo Problems

bluemoon

hi wondered if anyone here can help? i have just set up and been out this week doing my first weeks work. i am using a shurflo pump and varistream controller. on my gardiner poles i have the stop switches to turn water of. it seems that if i leave the switches turned of to stop the water for a couple of minutes, usually when going from front to back of house, then when i open the switch i get no water coming out or it stops after a minute or two. the only way i can seem to cure this is to disconnect my poles from hose reel and turn pump of and leave for a good 10 minutes. what am i doing wrong? would be grateful if anyone got any ideas. thank you

Might be something to do with the dead end stop on your controller being set wrong

far as i know it wired up correctly. followed instructions and connected wires from pump to controller as per diagram and connected to batt as per diagram???

yep thats how it set up. as i said it only seems to be if i leave the shut of valve on my poles closed for more than 4 mins or so that i get the problem. ????

So did you get any instructions on how to setup the controller too.
got the controller and pump in package from cleaning warehouse. just had diagram showing controller, pump and batt and what wires to connect to what.

Ok sorry I can't really help on that controller as I use a different type but I'm sure someone in the past uploaded a copy of the instruction for that one but I can't seem to find it now.

got the controller and pump in package from cleaning warehouse. just had diagram showing controller, pump and batt and what wires to connect to what.

Ok sorry I can't really help on that controller as I use a different type but I'm sure someone in the past uploaded a copy of the instruction for that one but I can't seem to find it now.
ok thanks anyway will see if anyone else has any help or ideas. the connections can't really be wrong i don't think as it only a problem when valve turned of???

hi wondered if anyone here can help? i have just set up and been out this week doing my first weeks work. i am using a shurflo pump and varistream controller. on my gardiner poles i have the stop switches to turn water of. it seems that if i leave the switches turned of to stop the water for a couple of minutes' date=' usually when going from front to back of house, then when i open the switch i get no water coming out or it stops after a minute or two. the only way i can seem to cure this is to disconnect my poles from hose reel and turn pump of and leave for a good 10 minutes. what am i doing wrong? would be grateful if anyone got any ideas. thank you
When this happens, does the Varistream try to restart the pump even with your tap open? If it does then you could look for a blockage. The first place to look would be the Hozelok stop valves, usually the one on the van's ports that you plug your hose to reel into. If you remove the hose at the hose reel does the water start to flow? If you remove the hose from the van port outlet leaving the 'joiner' in, does the water then start to flow?
The other one I found was the hose on the hose reel. One batch of minibore expanded too much under pressure and throttled/squashed the hose on the centre 'bar' of the hose reel preventing water flow.

Hozelok stop is most likely the culprit.

A Varistream comes setup for a Shurflo pump so shouldn't need any initial adjustment to work properly 'straight out of the box'.

Thinking about this further, it could also be a flat battery.

The Varistream cuts out at 10.4 volts (if my memory serves me right), so the cutout could be this. It would restart once the battery recovers at bit.

Check the charge of your battery as another solution.

If it is a genuine Varistream and if it's the latest one - the one that has LED bars indicating battery charge/condition, then you need to fit a isolator switch on the power side (+) from the battery near the Varistream. In our experience the latest Varistreams consume current even when switched off. We found it will drain about 25% of an 85 amp leisure battery in about a week lying idle.

We found that this works fine and you just switch it off at the end of the day. http://www.screwfix....ip55-240v/47152

my varistream is the VSD6. you can hear the pump running and i can change the settings up and down but it doesn't make any difference to the water coming out of my pole, it is just a few little spurts. have charged my battery today and will see if this helps. after having the valve turned off for a while you can hear the noise of the pump change. somebody said the pump should have a return on it but i not sure what they mean or if this would make any diff?? mmmm confused.com

Sound like you have not primed the pump right! Try disconnecting the hose that attaches to your hose reel, then run the pump at MAX for 1 min untill you get a constant flow rate, some pumps wont prime through 100m of hose reel

Sound like you have not primed the pump right! Try disconnecting the hose that attaches to your hose reel, then run the pump at MAX for 1 min untill you get a constant flow rate, some pumps wont prime through 100m of hose reel
thanks mate i tried that and it seems to be working ok now. think it combination not priming pump and low batt DOH!!!! thanks again and to all for your help and advice

Back