Bleeding Air From System

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by essex boy, Mar 2, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. essex boy

essex boy Active Member

I get a lot of air when I start up on each job, it only lasts seconds but the spurting is annoying. I read that some people put a spur in directly after the tank outlet but before the pump, maybe with a tap. Assuming you open the valve or tap how does that bleed the air, or is there a better way?

Advertisement
  2. essex boy

essex boy Active Member

Come on, cannot one of you WFP guru's give me some help with the air?

I want to get it sorted today as another week will drive me insane

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Like I said before in another post run the pump flat out to get rid of any air until you get a constant flow rate.

Flat tanks are more prone to sucking in air into the pump hose intake as water sloshing about when driving or even parked on a hill or on a camber/curb when the tank is getting low.

Also disconnecting the hose reel without taps/stops on both ends so air can get in to the hose also exacerbate the issue which can affect the dead end stop on the controller too.

4. HotWash Window Cleaners

What type of tank do you have? Do you have any stop ends on hose like rectus or tap? Do you let your system run dry?

5. Brightsure

Brightsure Active Member

Air can be caused by not priming your pump well enough, some pumps wont prime through 100m of hose as its need air to do this, so dissconnect the hose from your hose reel and hang it out the door, turn your pump up too FULL and wait for all the air to come out your pump, you will see it spluttering for a few secs then switch off the flow controller while its on high reconnect to hose reel and you will be good to go. I had the same problem untill i learnt this trick.

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Thats what I was saying exactly to do in another thread but guess no one listens to me :D

7. essex boy

essex boy Active Member

Smurf, I did remember that you had given me advice before but could not find the thread - so thank you, i'm listening

8. essex boy

essex boy Active Member

I have a grippamax flat tank and yes on the end of my hose i have water stops, i use pro 26 but same diferrence. the short connecting hose off of my reel into my ports is a male end so water does leek out of this, in other words the hose is not pressurised as water has an escape route.I need to use male on the port end so not sure what I can do about this as it will be a pain running pump flat out 25 times a day.

What I was getting at is some people make a spur from the tank outlet before the pump and connect a few feet of hose with a tap on the end. If I did that and ran the water by opening the tap I cannot see how that dispels air as it is directly off of the tank and before the pump.

9. Brightsure

Brightsure Active Member

The hose attached to the output on the pump should not have an end stop and should run direct to your hose reel! if you try and prime the pump with the output hose attached to the hose reel this can cause the pump not to prime 100percent, you need to disconnect the input hose from the hose reel when you first prime a pump, you shouldnt have any problems with lower flow rates or air once it is primed, but to prime a pump it must first run on MAX for a few secs with out it connected to your hose reel! Im just not understanding when you are saying you have no pressure build up, Try posting some pics of your setup be alot easier! Once primed you should never need to prime it again unless your water runs out in the tank and you suck air in!

10. essex boy

essex boy Active Member

I do exactly what you are saying and understand. I have a tank, to pump, to water stop (under van port) so run short hose without reel at max and let water run for a few minutes and then pump is primed as all air dispelled. I do that and only get air if the water is low as I live in a hilly area and everything is on a steep gradient.

I totally understand what you are saying but because of where I work I can get air in the system.

What I am asking is, I have heard of people running an additional hose with a tap on it so they open the tap valve and water comes out and dispels any air thus priming the pump? Apparently they t-off a separate hose direct from the tank outlet. I just do not understand how that would dispel any air in the pump line.

Am I being stupid or does this work. Surely to do that I would have to have a spur after the pump in which case I see little point, might as well just do what you said earlier

Advertisement