Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Block paving filler and seal

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mike-71

Hi all ,

Can any one recommend the best way to fill and seal block paving after pressure washing .

I’m due to pressure wash it this morning and now the customer would like it filling and sealing so weeds don’t come back through.
Any suggestions of the best products to use ?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Kiln-dried sand is the thing to use in between the blocks, chances are unless it's red hot you won't be able to do the sand till Monday and I'm guessing as I don't do pw jobs the sand will have to be wholly swept away before sealing the block work also the blocks need be 100% dry otherwise you'll end up with the sealer drying milky white a mate of mine who is a landscaper use this Everbuild 405 Path & Patio Seal Sealer 25 Litres PAT25 | Sealants and Tools Direct

Kiln-dried sand is the thing to use in between the blocks, chances are unless it's red hot you won't be able to do the sand till Monday and I'm guessing as I don't do pw jobs the sand will have to be wholly swept away before sealing the block work also the blocks need be 100% dry otherwise you'll end up with the sealer drying milky white a mate of mine who is a landscaper use this Everbuild 405 Path & Patio Seal Sealer 25 Litres PAT25 | Sealants and Tools Direct
Thanks for that iron giant , it’s much appreciated. The customer is after stopping the weeds growing through also . Hopefully that will work

Last edited:
I don't advise sealing after cleaning because you can't PW it again or it turns out patchy. I never PW sealed blocks nor advise ever sealing blocks in future. ?
Thanks for that also , any suggestions for keeping miss or weeds coming back through the cracks as that’s what she’s hoping for ? I guess it’s inevitable they will come back though

Thanks for that iron giant , it’s much appreciated. The customer is after stopping the weeds growing through also . Hopefully that will work
I believe that some people add a load of table salt to the sand as weeds don't like growing in salty conditions. Not sure how much you need or how long it lasts.

Thanks for that also , any suggestions for keeping miss or weeds coming back through the cracks as that’s what she’s hoping for ? I guess it’s inevitable they will come back though
I have a backpack weedkiller sprayer which cost £200. I buy Gallup weedkiller and offer to spray the area after a month or so when the weeds begin to appear. The only problem is the Gallup price has doubled since last year.

There are various sands which claim to stop
weeds but they’re ridiculously expensive and generally don’t work.

Advise them to keep a pressure sprayer of glyphosate somewhere handy and just give any new growth a quick squirt on a dry day. Will kill them for weeks on end and a very easy way to keep on top of it.

unless she's will to go out and spray weed kill every month or so, it'll be impossible to stop. Maybe she needs a resin driveway install ;)

The best you can hope for is that sealing will inhibit, not stop weeds. It makes the sand harder so not so easy for weeds to take root but if dirt builds up on top of joints weeds will grow into that. And they grow into it, not up through the joints.
But it's still worth sealing because it helps bond the sand together and hold it in place, otherwise it will soon wash out.
Steer clear of wet look and gloss finish and use invisible / clear. It won't go patchy if used correcrly on dry paving and no rain forecast. The sealer @Iron Giant mentioned is a decent quality, excellent value for money sealer. It contains a fungicide that will stop algae etc but not weeds. It can also be used on blocks, slabs, concrete, stone etc.

residual weedkiller like Path Clear give some ongoing protection but weeds are a fact of life and tell customers they must sweep regularly or wash it down with soapy water to stop weeds appearing. Make all this clear from the outset and make customers aware there's no such thing as a maintenance free driveway.
Sealer isn't a wonder product but has its uses and is perfectly safe if used as per instructions. But gloss, colour enhancer etc never seem to have the finish as advertised

It’s inevitable they will eventually come back , we don’t seal drives did one years ago never again ,you can buy a kiln dried sand with a weed killer in in never used it but know ones that have and they say it’s quite good

I would never advise to use that sand with weedkiller in it because it goes green and looks terrible. I brush in the kiln dried sand and go back a few months later and spray with glyphosate and weeds don't seem to come back, not sure if they will ban it one day.

I believe that some people add a load of table salt to the sand as weeds don't like growing in salty conditions. Not sure how much you need or how long it lasts.
I have heard of that but the prospect of efflorescence puts me off. I know they may be different types of salt but adding more salt might be asking for trouble.
But if that's not an issue it should be effective because plants grow in salt - the Romans allegedly salted lands of their enemy e.g. Carthage.
At the end of the day weeds are a fact of life and it's a case of managing customer expectations and preparing them for the reality of future weed growth. How much of a problem they are is down to how much maintenace the customer is willing to do. Regular sweeping and washing down will keep weeds down to a minimum. A few buckets of soapy water will do the job or Jeyes liquid or as @scottish cleaning service has said a good weedkiller like glyphosate

I have heard of that but the prospect of efflorescence puts me off. I know they may be different types of salt but adding more salt might be asking for trouble.
But if that's not an issue it should be effective because plants grow in salt - the Romans allegedly salted lands of their enemy e.g. Carthage.
At the end of the day weeds are a fact of life and it's a case of managing customer expectations and preparing them for the reality of future weed growth. How much of a problem they are is down to how much maintenace the customer is willing to do. Regular sweeping and washing down will keep weeds down to a minimum. A few buckets of soapy water will do the job or Jeyes liquid or as @scottish cleaning service has said a good weedkiller like glyphosate
Adding salt ,over time as it gets dissolved by water will mean the sand level will drop needing re sanding again . We always tell customers that this type of drive needs on going maintenance ie regular weed killer applications.

Best thing I bought was a professional backpack sprayer and Gallup weedkiller. Which means you don't go through much weedkiller and don't waste much. It also has an expanding lance which save one bending down.

weeds don’t come back through
Weeds don't come back up through, they grow down into the sand when fresh seeds land on it. Weed killer is your best option. Seal it all you like there will be some cracks and as soon as a weed gets in there it will expand out and remove the seal. Also walking on the driveway or driving a car on it will wear away the seal. I used to work for a driveway company, the boss would explain to people how sealant was like a clear nail varnish, it will flake and break away. If you want to reapply it ideally you need to remove all of the old stuff so it's on a level surface again. That is a tedious and time consuming job. Then there's the issue that it makes the area less porous and the run off may cause issues elsewhere.

NB, I am aware the post is 3 weeks old and this may have already been dealt with. Just incase it can help someone in the future.

Back