Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Block paving sealant

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tutster

Hi all
I've been self employed for around 6 year's now and been doing the driveways and patio cleaning annually from spring to autumn but I always choose to stay away from the sealing side of it mainly due to the price of the sealant and customer's put of by the high prices anyway i started sealing them around a year ago with mixed results some have turned out great with no weeds returning but the odd job a few weeds are still returning after only a couple of weeks and it's doing my head in I pride myself on doing a great job at a very reasonable price and this seems to be out of my control I have been using the Thomsons wet look brand and making sure all the sand is covered with the sealant and soaked in is anyone else having any issues simular to this I wondered also I need a super strong weed killer sodium hypochlorite is OK for a week or two then boom the little f**kers return any information would be very much appreciated cheers all

Hi all
I've been self employed for around 6 year's now and been doing the driveways and patio cleaning annually from spring to autumn but I always choose to stay away from the sealing side of it mainly due to the price of the sealant and customer's put of by the high prices anyway i started sealing them around a year ago with mixed results some have turned out great with no weeds returning but the odd job a few weeds are still returning after only a couple of weeks and it's doing my head in I pride myself on doing a great job at a very reasonable price and this seems to be out of my control I have been using the Thomsons wet look brand and making sure all the sand is covered with the sealant and soaked in is anyone else having any issues simular to this I wondered also I need a super strong weed killer sodium hypochlorite is OK for a week or two then boom the little f**kers return any information would be very much appreciated cheers all
That's why I advise never to seal because they can't be cleaned later on. Some seal will sink in and some will not so when one PW it, some will come off and some won't, not worth the hassle. Stick to cleaning and forget about the sealing I would advise.

Sodium hypochlorite isn’t a weed killer although it will kill them you need to use a glyphosate based weed killer spray before cleaning leave a few days then pw this will give the best results and slow down re growth ,
I do a 3 stage cleaning cycle. PW the area then come back on a sunny day and sand area. Finally I wait a few months and come back with weedkiller (glyphosate) and spray them, never had a complaint yet.

That's why I advise never to seal because they can't be cleaned later on. Some seal will sink in and some will not so when one PW it, some will come off and some won't, not worth the hassle. Stick to cleaning and forget about the sealing I would advise.
Thanks for the reply scottish I do understand what you're saying I have returning customers who have spectacular driveways it's just such a shame they can't keep that look without a sealant any advise on an industrial strength weed treatment what does the job and lasts at the moment I'm swaying towards gallup 360 but like everything it seems overpriced ?

Thanks for the reply scottish I do understand what you're saying I have returning customers who have spectacular driveways it's just such a shame they can't keep that look without a sealant any advise on an industrial strength weed treatment what does the job and lasts at the moment I'm swaying towards gallup 360 but like everything it seems overpriced ?
I bought a load of Gallup last year at half the price now. You can get 5 litres for under £70 but not sure the strength.

No sealer can guarantee no weeds and at best will only inhibit weed growth. If dirt is allowed to build up on sealed joints then new shallow rooted weeds will grow into it.
These are new weeds growing in, not old weeds coming up through and customers should be made aware of this. YOU can't guarantee no weeds.
They're a fact of life so just be up front about it and advise they buy a decent weedkiller.

Back