Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Booster pump problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mick henn

Hi everyone. I’m having a problem with my booster pump. It’s only 5 months old. But after only a month the motor was seizing on it and I had to manually spin it to get it going every time I started it. I put up with this and just did it. But the last 2-3 weeks when it runs for about 40-50 mins it was just stopping and would then trip my electricity. And now it’s just not working at all. When I turn it on now it’s just tripping the electricity immediately. I’ve been onto the supplier and they are saying it could be the calcium in the water. I’m in Ireland and the water is very hard but surely this can’t be the case after only 5 months. Plenty of places have very hard water so their pumps would surely be only lasting a few months as well if this is the case. 
All help is greatly appreciated. 

Assuming this is on your water purifying system?

I run mine on a 2hrs on 30mins off basis.

Never had an issue with mine, its a sureflow

Assuming this is on your water purifying system?

I run mine on a 2hrs on 30mins off basis.

Never had an issue with mine, its a sureflow
Yes it’s on my water purifying system. I was never running mine hours on end either. My issue is according to my supplier I will have to fork out for a new booster pump every few months and as I said I haven’t read of anyone else having this kind of problem so surely it can’t be right as lots of places have very hard water. Are they replacing booster pumps every few months?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive run mine for 18months and its never missed a beat.

Id say your supplier is having you over.

Surely they supply a years warranty with brand new pumps?

What make is it?

Have a word with Lee Martin @ bladeright or DA Components.

It seems to me that there's a likelihood it's either a faulty pump or, it's not fit for purpose. The purpose was surely stated at the time of purchase. I can't see why the warranty shouldn't cover a replacement. They may say the purchaser will have to take it up with the manufacturer (an old trick to deflect the blame and make it difficult for the purchaser to get sorted) . This is not the case. The contract of purchase is not with the manufacturer it is with the supplier/seller. This is who accepted the payment and supplied the equipment for its designed and requested by customer, purpose. If they made a mistake and supplied the wrong pump that is their problem, I'd have thought.

I live in a hard water area, around 350 TDS. I used to go through a Varitech supplied booster pump every year or so. Eventually I fitted a translucent 10 inch double filter housing before the booster pump with two sediment filters that I can see and monitor for when they look like they need changing. My pumps last a lot longer now. The rest of the processing system is after the booster pump. Three ten inch carbon filters, two small ROs in parallel and two resin vessels. This works the finest for me, producing around 2000~2500 litres or so a week.

It seems to me that there's a likelihood it's either a faulty pump or, it's not fit for purpose. The purpose was surely stated at the time of purchase. I can't see why the warranty shouldn't cover a replacement. They may say the purchaser will have to take it up with the manufacturer (an old trick to deflect the blame and make it difficult for the purchaser to get sorted) . This is not the case. The contract of purchase is not with the manufacturer it is with the supplier/seller. This is who accepted the payment and supplied the equipment for its designed and requested by customer, purpose. If they made a mistake and supplied the wrong pump that is their problem, I'd have thought.

I live in a hard water area, around 350 TDS. I used to go through a Varitech supplied booster pump every year or so. Eventually I fitted a translucent 10 inch double filter housing before the booster pump with two sediment filters that I can see and monitor for when they look like they need changing. My pumps last a lot longer now. The rest of the processing system is after the booster pump. Three ten inch carbon filters, two small ROs in parallel and two resin vessels. This works the finest for me, producing around 2000~2500 litres or so a week.
I bought it as part of a DIY van install so they sold it to me knowing it was being used for pure water. I asked about a warranty and they keep going back to the calcium thing. They said they would have to inspect it and test it personally so this means I will have to ship it back to them at my own expense and then not be able to make water so will have to put off my customers and turn down any new work. 

I bought it as part of a DIY van install so they sold it to me knowing it was being used for pure water. I asked about a warranty and they keep going back to the calcium thing. They said they would have to inspect it and test it personally so this means I will have to ship it back to them at my own expense and then not be able to make water so will have to put off my customers and turn down any new work. 

Bin it off mate, buy a fit for purpose pump from Bladeright or DA Components and tear the supplier a new one on their facebook or google

What brand is the pump? Who is the supplier? 
Agreed! Name and shame and this is a good place to do it. It might make them think about the deserved adverse publicity.

You might have to buy a new and hopefully better pump from elsewhere to keep your business going as they will probably give you the run around and it could easily run into weeks. Sorry, I wish I could give you better news. I know they're an expensive item. You will get sound advice on the forum from guys with more knowledge on the subject than I have as to the best pump and supplier. I'm not totally convinced my Varitech/Streamline one is the best either.

Very best of luck, Davy

I'm not sure about sale of goods/consumer rights in Ireland but as it was supplied as a commercial item then it's not covered by consumer rights!!!! 

I would try and do some detective work. Find out who manufacturers the pump and motor. The manufacturer should be able to give you spec of what the pump will tolerate. Then see if your local calcium levels fall within this limit. I would also use a completely different email address (get another google one if you want) and email the company saying that you have seen their kit and were concerned if it would be suitable for your area (pick an area close by bot your exact one) and ask if any addition filters are required before the pump? If they say yes it's fine then you have an email stating that the pump should be ok for your area!!!

Also check their web site to see if there are any t&c or faq that are about warranties and who pays for p&p and any 'testing' fees. 

As others have said name and shame them as they sold you a system knowing where you live or at least not checking your calcium levels were low enough to use this pump. Maybe name and shame after you have come to a conclusion as I am sure we would like to avoid a company behaving this way.  

I'm not sure about sale of goods/consumer rights in Ireland but as it was supplied as a commercial item then it's not covered by consumer rights!!!! 

I would try and do some detective work. Find out who manufacturers the pump and motor. The manufacturer should be able to give you spec of what the pump will tolerate. Then see if your local calcium levels fall within this limit. I would also use a completely different email address (get another google one if you want) and email the company saying that you have seen their kit and were concerned if it would be suitable for your area (pick an area close by bot your exact one) and ask if any addition filters are required before the pump? If they say yes it's fine then you have an email stating that the pump should be ok for your area!!!

Also check their web site to see if there are any t&c or faq that are about warranties and who pays for p&p and any 'testing' fees. 

As others have said name and shame them as they sold you a system knowing where you live or at least not checking your calcium levels were low enough to use this pump. Maybe name and shame after you have come to a conclusion as I am sure we would like to avoid a company behaving this way.  
I don't really want to same and shame them as they seem to be the only supplier in Ireland for good water fed pole equipment and because I am new to this industry I will have to use them for any equipment I need going forward. 

I think the pump is a Sealand pump. 

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

I didn't realise that commercial items weren't covered by consumer rights. ?
I am not 100% positive but I know when I bought a shower from B&Q for our holiday apartments and it was faulty B&Q wanted to send someone out to test it (2 week wait) and if it wasn't faulty they would charge me £50. I couldn't wait as need working shower so spoke to local Trading Standards, they told me as the product was for commercial use it wasn't covered by consumer rights laws but I should just take it back to b&q and suggest they replace it or refund as it wasn't working and don't mention holiday apartments!!!! I took it back and after a 'discussion' they supplied a replacement, that worked perfectly ? 

I also believe that business to business van sales are not the same as business to consumer!!! I think that buying stuff as a business your rights might be different! Always best to check with Trading Standards as they are quite good and usually help if you ask.

Not sure what happens if you buy with a credit card for a business purchase. All a bit complex. 

I don't really want to same and shame them as they seem to be the only supplier in Ireland for good water fed pole equipment and because I am new to this industry I will have to use them for any equipment I need going forward. 

You aren't naming them, but I think I know who you mean, very shoddy customer service indeed!!

Without taking the pump apart and inspecting it we don't know what the problem is. If the o/p could spin it by hand to start it to begin with then how could this be related to a calcium issue in the water?

The pump hasn't seized. It could be the o/p had confused the supplier by telling him the pump has seized. If the pump has seized due to calcium deposits then the supplier could well say that this is not a warranty issue.

My first port of call would be the starter capacitor. 

I'm going to go one step further. If a fault occurred which could well be a valid warranty claim and the user carried on using the product to destruction, would that still be a valid claim? Warranty is based on faulty workmanship and/or faulty parts. Improper use or handling of the product could well invalidate that claim. I'm basing this on how we used to handle warranty claims on Bosch power tools many years ago.

If it is tripping your electricity DO NOT USE or you could get electrocuted. It sounds it has a short somewhere which is often caused by water entering the motor. If it has then warranty is null and void.

Try SuperClean in Ireland, they are a commercial pump and pressure washer suppliers who could probably get the best quality equipment and have experience in pumps from boreholes to RO systems 

Without taking the pump apart and inspecting it we don't know what the problem is. If the o/p could spin it by hand to start it to begin with then how could this be related to a calcium issue in the water?

The pump hasn't seized. It could be the o/p had confused the supplier by telling him the pump has seized. If the pump has seized due to calcium deposits then the supplier could well say that this is not a warranty issue.

My first port of call would be the starter capacitor. 

I'm going to go one step further. If a fault occurred which could well be a valid warranty claim and the user carried on using the product to destruction, would that still be a valid claim? Warranty is based on faulty workmanship and/or faulty parts. Improper use or handling of the product could well invalidate that claim. I'm basing this on how we used to handle warranty claims on Bosch power tools many years ago.
I’ve just had a friend of mine look at it who is an electrician and the capacitor is definitely gone in it. I will have to pick one up tomorrow to see if this sorts the issue or if there are other problems with it. 

Back