Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Boots for work

Yogi1872

Does anyone wear hiking boots for work?. And are they comfy?. Buying a pair in the next couple of months and have had a look on go outdoors but there's loads to choose from and I've no idea which are good and which aren't.

Willing to go to around the £150 so I'd imagine il get a half decent pair for that. What's the comfiest water tight boots that you get good wear from ?.

Go for lightweight waterproof summer boots for cleaning , made of fabric.

Avoid heavy leather ones. They will slow you down. Keep them for tough days out in the highlands etc.

Don't get regatta ones, I bought some and while they were nice and light and comfy I wore through the soles in about 3 months part time! I emailed them and they did refund though!!!
I have some No Risk Safety boots which I have been using for a few months and they are comfy, grip well seem waterproof so far and have steel toe cap (insulated inside) and steel plate in sole so no worries about standing on a nail etc. They have a water resistant rating and have cork insole that moulds it's self to your foot. They weigh about 800gms each!
I have just bought some Sketchers Escape Plan Trainers as they are water resistant, have gel inserts and nice squishy soles. They are very comfy and feel really 'bouncy', they weigh about 300gms each.

Hiking boots are all I have worn for the last 22 years mostly through autumn, winter and spring and wet days in the Summer the only decent boots I have had in recent years that haven't leaked or been changed over the years and become an inferior product are https://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-swift-r2-mid-gtx-shoes/CM7500.html they lasted a good 7 months of almost daily wear as I had some other boots and they still have some wear in them but I stopped wearing them months ago for some trainers and some Merrell Moab boots, Merrells, in general, I have a bit of love-hate/dislike with as they are super comfy they just don't perform or hold up so well but I go back to them ti me and time again but I have some Goretex ones at the moment

Don't get regatta ones, I bought some and while they were nice and light and comfy I wore through the soles in about 3 months part time! I emailed them and they did refund though!!!
I have some No Risk Safety boots which I have been using for a few months and they are comfy, grip well seem waterproof so far and have steel toe cap (insulated inside) and steel plate in sole so no worries about standing on a nail etc. They have a water resistant rating and have cork insole that moulds it's self to your foot. They weigh about 800gms each!
I have just bought some Sketchers Escape Plan Trainers as they are water resistant, have gel inserts and nice squishy soles. They are very comfy and feel really 'bouncy', they weigh about 300gms each.
Got a set of the Sketchers myself. They seem to be wearing out a lot faster than my last set! Bought them in november and already the tread on the bottom is wearing thin in some places. The front 'turn up' of the sole has started coming away from the trainer too. BUT they are very light and comfortable, and do a decent job of keeping most of the water out. Reckon they may last a year, but then thats only £5 a month when you look at cost over time, so im guessing thats worth it? (Last set of trainers I bought before that were also sketchers - though not for work - for £20, and they lasted 20 years :ROFLMAO: so im a bit of out touch on value for money!)

Hiking boots are all I have worn for the last 22 years mostly through autumn, winter and spring and wet days in the Summer the only decent boots I have had in recent years that haven't leaked or been changed over the years and become an inferior product are https://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-swift-r2-mid-gtx-shoes/CM7500.html they lasted a good 7 months of almost daily wear as I had some other boots and they still have some wear in them but I stopped wearing them months ago for some trainers and some Merrell Moab boots, Merrells, in general, I have a bit of love-hate/dislike with as they are super comfy they just don't perform or hold up so well but I go back to them ti me and time again but I have some Goretex ones at the moment

What's the sizing like on these ? If your a 10 would you need a 10.5 ?. Some addidas trainers I've had in the past I've had to go a half size up from what I normally would be. Just going to order them.

I used to grudge spending money on work clothes but think nothing of spending £500 on a jacket etc. I'm in my work clothes more than my other clothes but as it was for work grudges it. Changed that a few years ago. Even spending money on decent trousers etc makes your day alot easier. It's easier to move etc.

What's the sizing like on these ? If your a 10 would you need a 10.5 ?. Some addidas trainers I've had in the past I've had to go a half size up from what I normally would be. Just going to order them.

I used to grudge spending money on work clothes but think nothing of spending £500 on a jacket etc. I'm in my work clothes more than my other clothes but as it was for work grudges it. Changed that a few years ago. Even spending money on decent trousers etc makes your day alot easier. It's easier to move etc.
Go half a size up if I was you, I have bought the same brand of trainers and had to go half a size up I'd rather have a tad more room

You can never waste money on a good uniform. Makes perfect sense when you realise how much time you are in them and the customer notices a smart employee.

You can never waste money on a good uniform. Makes perfect sense when you realise how much time you are in them and the customer notices a smart employee.

It was by accident I ended up doing it too. Was in arco and asked what shorts had zip pockets. He went through a few but they didn't have zips on them. Told him I need a zip pocket for notes. He said only ones we have with a zip are these mascot advanced. I said if that's the only ones with a zip il take them. Got to the counter and they were about £90. To save looking like a phany i said aye that's fine, while in my head going ouch. After wearing them I noticed a massive difference between them and the shorts I usually bought. Ended up buying the trousers too, jacket. Anything I buy now for I get mascot advanced.

It was by accident I ended up doing it too. Was in arco and asked what shorts had zip pockets. He went through a few but they didn't have zips on them. Told him I need a zip pocket for notes. He said only ones we have with a zip are these mascot advanced. I said if that's the only ones with a zip il take them. Got to the counter and they were about £90. To save looking like a phany i said aye that's fine, while in my head going ouch. After wearing them I noticed a massive difference between them and the shorts I usually bought. Ended up buying the trousers too, jacket. Anything I buy now for I get mascot advanced.
My wee brother is an electrician and always wore old jeans to work. He became interested in my Snickers trousers with slot for knee pads. He done me a turn and I said I would buy him a pair of my trousers (£120 plus £40 for knee pads that slot in) I met up with him a week later and he said what a difference and kneeling down was like kneeling down on a memory foam mattress. For 20 years he wouldn't change until he wore them. Every year I buy him a pair for his Christmas because he is like a walking tool box and has a pocket for every tool he needs. Visited my mechanic who was wearing shorts, what a site. He said the only day I put on shorts and have a van's wheel bearing to change, his knees were blacker than his trousers. ?

I had a quick look this morning and found these https://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-ax3-mid-gore-tex-hiking-shoes/BC0469.html I paid £61.60 with a 20% voucher and free next day delivery only in green though

Here's mine, yogi, boo boo, and ranger

Attachments

• 20220513_163514.jpg
    20220513_163514.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211019_164751.jpg
    20211019_164751.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220630-171037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-171037_Gallery.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220630-171122_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-171122_Gallery.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
Kind of dogs you have .?
Fox red lab, well he was but fading now with age and a whippet cross, Jake & Jess aka knackers & Knickers both are good hunters, my old boy, not so much now as he is 12 years old the 2nd pic he was in his prime, little Jess has high prey drive and will hunt until she is fit to drop

Your dogs look like nice dogs couldn't be doing with all those dog hairs though

Attachments

• PXL_20220706_174351034.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220706_174351034.MP.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2017-03-12-07-51-24_2.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-12-07-51-24_2.png
    510.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220326_072327480.jpg
    PXL_20220326_072327480.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 2
Your dogs huge lol. I get a cleaner I'm once a week to help with the hair. I hoover everyday but once a week the cleaner will do it properly. Do you ever take thr dogs out while working ?.

Mine goes to my mums all day when I work and she walks him twice, if I get a pvc or roof job I tend to do them when I finish the windows. If they don't have a dog il tell them il be bringing my dog too incase my mum has things to do. I take his Teddy and he sits in there garden fine. Doesn't move if a dog walks past etc. I'd take him with me all the time as I could get him to stay out the gardens no problem as he's very well behaved. Not everyone likes dogs though so I've never done it.

Latest Posts

Back