Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bought new heavy duty Rapid Shelving.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

scottish cleaning service

With so much stuff I have decided to buy new shelving. Its like the ones that you see in warehouses to hold pallets. Its called Rapid Shelving and consists of 4 legs and 4 spares and a piece of chipboard. They say each shelf can hold 300Kgs and I know its true after we all sat on it. Reason being is because my homemade shelving in my lockup is bending with the weight on it. Decided to spend a grand and rip it out and fit the Rapid stuff instead. Just posting this incase anyone was looking for storage ideas. The reason I like it is one can dismantle it and take it with you when moving.

All day yesterday I was building 2 new shelving units and a 2.4m long by 900mm work bench from Rapid Shelving. Cost a tad over a grand but well worth it. Will never build my own now and will buy this stuff. It means I can remove it if I plan to move house in the future. ?

When I ran my Ebay business I used to build the shelving out of wood, I'd have a storage unit and I'd build them to maximize potential storage space, I'd literally design it on a computer because the shape of the unit can mean a big difference to how much stock you can store and you could pay say £30 per week for a unit that can store as much stock as a £50 per week unit due to it being a more rectangular shape, or slightly wider allowing for an extra rack. Obviously you could ram it all in from floor to ceiling but then you would have to empty out the unit to get to a box at the back, so it was designed to get any box without having to move stuff out of the way.

I moved units countless times and each time I'd be building more and more of these wooden racks. They took about 4 hours to build and cost about £30 in wood. They looked great when done but if I could have used that rapid racking I would have, it's so easy to throw up. The only issue is getting them to fit perfectly for your requirements.

I found that they are just a little too deep and overkill for most things so end up taking up a lot of unnecessary floor space. When you build out of wood you can get it all bang on inch perfect allowing to store more stuff and have more floor space. Obviously if you have a massive warehouse or a big barn or something like that then space isn't a problem so the rapid racking would be a no brainer.

When I ran my Ebay business I used to build the shelving out of wood, I'd have a storage unit and I'd build them to maximize potential storage space, I'd literally design it on a computer because the shape of the unit can mean a big difference to how much stock you can store and you could pay say £30 per week for a unit that can store as much stock as a £50 per week unit due to it being a more rectangular shape, or slightly wider allowing for an extra rack. Obviously you could ram it all in from floor to ceiling but then you would have to empty out the unit to get to a box at the back, so it was designed to get any box without having to move stuff out of the way.

I moved units countless times and each time I'd be building more and more of these wooden racks. They took about 4 hours to build and cost about £30 in wood. They looked great when done but if I could have used that rapid racking I would have, it's so easy to throw up. The only issue is getting them to fit perfectly for your requirements.

I found that they are just a little too deep and overkill for most things so end up taking up a lot of unnecessary floor space. When you build out of wood you can get it all bang on inch perfect allowing to store more stuff and have more floor space. Obviously if you have a massive warehouse or a big barn or something like that then space isn't a problem so the rapid racking would be a no brainer.
I had my lock up all shelved using chipboard and 2"/1.5" framing. I'm a joiner to trade so not that hard to do. No heating in winter so dampness creped in and the chipboard all bent in the middle. This will not happen with this shelving and it can hold 300 kgs. The lock up saves me £30 a month from renting so its a no brainer, only wish I had bought the stuff years ago. Being able to find something without looking for it is the way a storage area should be. If I couldn't find something then I bought it again because the work kept coming in. This will make a great difference and make my business more efficient. ?

I had my lock up all shelved using chipboard and 2"/1.5" framing. I'm a joiner to trade so not that hard to do. No heating in winter so dampness creped in and the chipboard all bent in the middle. This will not happen with this shelving and it can hold 300 kgs. The lock up saves me £30 a month from renting so its a no brainer, only wish I had bought the stuff years ago. Being able to find something without looking for it is the way a storage area should be. If I couldn't find something then I bought it again because the work kept coming in. This will make a great difference and make my business more efficient. ?
Yeah fully agree, all my units were dry stored, no damp so wood was fine. If it was a garage or something cold / damp then no way would I use timber.

we have the heavy duty racks from costco, think they are a generic one as i have seem them in b and q etc , really good

we bought cheap blue ones once absolutely horific they ended up in various family members sheds!

we try now to buy from the business furniture resellers, theres one near us with a warehouse and its brilliant we paid £400 for 3 8ft steel lockable cabinets and 2 4 foots

we have the heavy duty racks from costco, think they are a generic one as i have seem them in b and q etc , really good

we bought cheap blue ones once absolutely horific they ended up in various family members sheds!

we try now to buy from the business furniture resellers, theres one near us with a warehouse and its brilliant we paid £400 for 3 8ft steel lockable cabinets and 2 4 foots
That's handy because not any ware and tear on this sort of stuff. Its okay when one has the time to shop around but I did 3 PW jobs today so its all go. Don't seem to see any slow down and only lost one customer.

If you want the commercial stuff then a good place to try is the self storage warehouses. There was one where I had a unit and they had loads of the stuff, I got a heavy duty pallet racking for about £100, that was a steal at the time. When businesses go bust and struggle to empty the units they often leave it behind and I think a combination of that and the storage centres actually making offers to buy it off them (probably offset the units outstanding bill) means that they have good stock of things like that.

If you want the commercial stuff then a good place to try is the self storage warehouses. There was one where I had a unit and they had loads of the stuff, I got a heavy duty pallet racking for about £100, that was a steal at the time. When businesses go bust and struggle to empty the units they often leave it behind and I think a combination of that and the storage centres actually making offers to buy it off them (probably offset the units outstanding bill) means that they have good stock of things like that.
Great stuff but our timing is out because units are in high demand which means pallet racking and heavy duty shelving is all the rage. Years ago they couldn't give it away, then Covid and everything has changed. Try giving away a shop on the high street and I don't think there would be any takers. My mate said there is now empty shops on Oxford Street which is hard to believe.

Great stuff but our timing is out because units are in high demand which means pallet racking and heavy duty shelving is all the rage. Years ago they couldn't give it away, then Covid and everything has changed. Try giving away a shop on the high street and I don't think there would be any takers. My mate said there is now empty shops on Oxford Street which is hard to believe.
It comes in peaks and troughs with demand on racking. When I had my Ebay business it was around the time of the credit crunch, there were businesses cutting back and big warehouses were closing so there were tonnes of the stuff going cheap, then when the economy picks up units, warehouses, racking etc rockets back up in price. Later this year if we hit a recession / depression the same things will happen again with everything going cheap.

If we hit a recession and the price of racking plummets, it would probably be a good investment to buy racking if you had somewhere to store it because to make it requires significant amounts of energy in both raw material and the manufacture of it, so when the economy recovers the price of making new ones will be very high because of the high energy costs. During the 2008 credit crunch, you could by massive warehouses full of the stuff and other bits in the warehouses, it was going for peanuts at auctions because you needed space to store it and nobody wanted it for business use.

You could probably buy say £20k's worth at today's worth, for about £4k in a recession, then when the economy recovers and the demand returns it would be worth £30k+ due to higher costs of everything pushing the price of new racking higher.

Back