Business Mileage

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by mattg, Nov 23, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mattg

mattg Guest

Im a self employed window cleaner. What can I count as business mileage? If I do my paperwork at home does that count as one of my workplaces? Therefore can I claim for mileage between home and where my customers are? Many thanks.

Advertisement
  2. nearlyclean

Supplier

If it is a work vehecle and you have another car then yes if you have one vehecle then about 80 o\o best to speak to an accountant

3. Border

Border Newcomer

As said, an accountant is the best bet, but make sure you have an accountant who's principal function is to minimise your tax liability as much as legally possible.

You should be able to claim your mileage from your principal place of business (your home) to your customers' since it will be different customers every day i.e. you're not travelling to the same place each day.

Best thing to do is keep an accurate record of your mileage at the start and end of each day, and even a note whenever you fill your car, and do it dilligently.

Although the tax man will prefer to work with a percentage (better known as an estimate as he has no idea), if you keep an honest(ish) record then he can't really argue with you. If you don't keep a record then it will be a battle of wills where he will probably have the final say. You might find that your business mileage is close to 100% of your total mileage if you live close to shops and don't go out much, or if you have another car for personal use.

4. ricoclay

ricoclay Guest

I wouldn't even bother with an accountant unless you are earning more than £67k a year. Most of the stuff you can claim for, you find out online. Save the 500 odd quid and spend it on equipment etc

5. laddergarder

You can claim for your mileage, but you wont get 100%, your accoutnant will tell you unless you have acces to anothe vehicle, the tax office wont buy it that you don't nip to the shops or something now and then.

You can also claim a certain percentage of your household bills, heating, water etc.

6. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

If you use the same vehicle for work & leisure you are only allowed to claim the percentage you use it for work.

May be worth keeping a mileage log - then you can prove that you have only used the vehicle for a small amount of personal miles.

Bear in mind too that you may use much more fuel when working - as you may be loaded with water, tools, ladders etc. and be doing lots of start-stop journeys, so you may be able to claim slightly more on the fuel - but not on the rest of it - insurance etc.

dave

7. Iain

Iain Guru

You can claim from your home to your places of work (where your clients are). The current rate is 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles. After that it's 25p per mile.

HTH

Advertisement