Business worth starting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Samuel H, Oct 29, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Samuel H

Samuel H Guest

[size=medium]
    Hi folks, first time poster here!

I'm currently working in a job where I am very unhappy. I have had a succession of unhappy jobs and I am becoming frustrated by working for someone else.

My dad has suggested going self-employed. This idea really interests me, because as someone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder I like to do things my way, and find it difficult to adapt to the way other people do them!

I enjoy cleaning and housework and I have always thought Window Cleaning might be something worth getting into! So my question is: do you think it is worth having a go?

Some questions I have about starting up would be:

1. How would I find customers at first? I'm working full time so would it be worth switching down to part-time and window cleaning when I'm not working?

2. Would window cleaning provide a regular income all year round? I don't want to be rich, I just want to make enough of a living to support myself and my lovely wife. Would window cleaning be able to provide this?

3. How would I manage things like days off/holidays etc? Obviously I really want to work hard, because I don't like being lazy, but I would want to take some time off occasionally.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

[/size]

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

First of all, you sound motivated and naturally hard working, which will give you a head start to begin with when entering self-employment.
    I entered window cleaning from leaving school and buying into a round, so how to start originally I don't know. But self motivation an organised approach go a long way.

3. mark

mark Guest

The way i got into windowcleaning alongside my full time job was to give up my weekends to start off with.I live in a rural location so i put flyers through all the doors in my village, and waited for the calls to start coming. I then moved to the next village and so on.
    My worry is, if and when i totally give up my full time job where the law will eventually go on the use of ladders as i use the traditional method for cleaning.

4. Aqua-dapter

Aqua-dapter Active Member

Hi Samuel H, and welcome,

Do you do a manual job now? One thing you *may* need to consider is whether you will work quickly enough. If you are a "perfectionist" then you can become consumed by detailing, and that reduces the amount you earn per hour.

It's good to learn from other people, that doesn't mean you have to do things "their" way when you have your own round, but learning from other people gives you a head start. This is obviously best if you have a friend or acquaintance you can work with, who knows you intend to work on your own, a "compe***or" may not feel like giving too many tips away!

Assuming you are thinking of starting with "traditional" methods, then there won't be too much investment in equipment necessary. As you build up your round, you may consider using WFP, in which case you will need to spend at least a few hundred pounds, and more likely more than this for equipment.

Leaflets and canvassing are the tried and tested methods. Depending on any commitments you have outside of work, then evenings (perhaps not in the darkest months) and weekends doing this are a way to get started.

Some people love it, but some get discouraged easily, be prepared for a low response, out of 100 people you meet you should get a few who will accept your services. Ask them to pass on your details to others.

It can. As with any business with potential, it depends how much effort you are prepared to put in to it.

You should try to plan ahead for the more difficult (coldest) months and budget for them.

As above you need to budget for this, put aside a percentage of your takings each weeks for illness, holidays, days off, (pension? ;) & wages etc.

You can work backwards and work out how much you want to put aside for each of these things, and then come to a figure you want (or need) to earn each week to make it a viable business/income for your household.

Hope this helps!

Paul

5. Samuel H

Samuel H Guest

Thanks for your thorough advice Paul! At the moment I'm still not sure what kind of self employment I want to go into, Window Cleaning is just one option! It does attract me though because unless I am mistaken, it seems quite easy to set up and get started, and of course I'm prepared once I get started to put the work and effort into it!

6. Masons

Masons Guru

If you have good start up funds you could become Batman?
    Always a thought if climbing ladders isn't your thing.

7. A.K WINDOWS

its the best job in the world.

Advertisement