Busyyyy Traditional Method

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by jordan, Mar 22, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jordan

jordan Member

Hi Window Cleaners :)
    i have been going for 2 years now and my round consists of about 400 6 weekly houses i'm cleaning the traditional method and im earning about £750-£800 (before tax)a week.
    I love cleaning the traditional way because i'm constantly getting extra work every day and can earn about £25-£35 an hour.I am starting to get worried about my method as my shoulders and wrists are starting to ache all the time and i think i'm overdoing it,i don't want to turn away work so my options are either get someone else to go round in a van and do traditional for me and pay them £10 an hour or get the poles myself.
    I am worried about getting the poles as if i was going to get them i would want to spend about £3000 on the proper kit and have heard so much bad stuff about them.
    So my question is what would you all do if you were me get the poles and loose a few customers and not get as much extra work (But you can clean more houses in a day)
    OR get someone to do traditional method for me?????
    I also understand if i were to pay someone to do traditional they could easily take over my round and just work for thereself.
    Thanks any help is appreciated just feel a bit stuck for what to do

Advertisement
  2. Markyboy 50

I would stay as you are mate. £750/800 is a good wage. Employing someone isn't without it's problems. I used to have 3 vans and 2 people working off me. I reduced it. Now on my own. Only work 3 days a week. Only a few quid a week worse off. Come n go as I please. No one else to consider

3. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

I was in same boat Jordan
    I was knackered
    Then I thought - chuff me al prob be doing this till am 70
    Invest in some gear look after your body

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Just trad downstairs at first
    People will be fine

5. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

Hi Jordan. I was my own worst enemy when it can to making the change from trad to WFP. All I could see were problems. What if this and what if that etc. In the end I had to make the change or give up the job I enjoyed doing for health reasons. A mate lent me a backpack, pole and a couple of barrels of pure water to try it for myself on my house and a couple of neighbors whose houses I cleaned. I initially thought, boy this is using a lot of water, but soon realised after deciding to go for it that it was only those first cleans that were using so much water. Regular cleans use far less.
    Almost all my customers were impressed from the get go, which was encouraging. Yes I did lose a handful of customers. But it was only literally four, right off the bat who just wouldn't even give it a chance, three of which are now steady customers again after the trad guy who took over from me fell off his ladder and decided to call it a day. Another few decided they didn't like it after a couple of months and dumped me but by then I had taken on other customers so it all balanced out pretty well. I also get a good number of people who pass me in the street working and comment on what a good idea it is to clean windows this way this way.
    I don't know what negatives you've heard from others but I love cleaning windows this way far more than I ever did Trad and I enjoyed that too.
    My recommendation would be, if you decide to make the move, invest in good gear from the start, especially your poles/poles. (I can highly recommend Gardiner's SL-X range and brushes)
    You will think WFP is odd at first as it is so very different from trad cleaning especially the leaving them wet part, but it won't last long.
    I don't know about where you live but here in Essex there are so many now cleaning windows this way that new customers I take on are often already familiar with it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

I must try and learn to be brief! :zipit: :laugh:

7. Green Pro Clean Ltd

WFP set up correctly and used correctly does exactly what it says on the can - it cleans windows!

I was on ladders myself pushing 600 houses a month (between 2 of us) and we were feeling 'the burn'

Now do the same number in less time and get just as good a result and custys are happy.

Get yourself a day or two with a seasoned WFP user and have your worries laid to rest.

8. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

As above. W.f.p is easier on the body, easier and faster than traditional cleaning and in my opinion more enjoyable as there are so many toys and gadgets to try nowadays.
    Nothing wrong with trad, I did it for 14 years, but have preferred my time with the poles a lot more.
    Go for it I.m.o

9. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

you have to totally believe in the system W F P, if you loose a few customers hayho
    you will pick up so much work also,it is so much easier and quicker
    if you can get van system go for it. Also it is safer you can work on your own no worries
    i,m suffering from sore arms and feel them every day sure a lot of the guys are the same

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I was trad for 25 years
    Was adamant this stick waggling lark was a load of old tosh
    Bought a pole and some hose to do conservatory roofs from customers outside taps
    Wasn't long before i bought a pump etc and made a trolley and bought my pure water to "just do the tops"
    Yeah right
    After poling the tops you don't want to pack your gear up to get your trad gear out and work slower and harder
    I guarantee if you try it you'll never look back
    Give your customers a guarantee that if there are any problems you will go back to sort them
    They'll soon all be converted
    Any stragglers who are adamant they don't like it you can still trad the odd one or 2
    Most who are against it is because they have heard bad stories because of bad operators

Advertisement