Buying a van and pole system

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Lemonza, May 7, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Lemonza

Lemonza Guest

Hey everyone nice to meet you! I'm new to this forum and think its great and you all seem so helpful. I've been cleaning windows for a few years now traditionally and have a few hundred customers on a 4/6/8 week cycle. The problem is its just getting to busy now and often end up falling behind due to bad weather. I'm thinking about investing in a pole system as I've always fancied the idea of waving goodbye to the ladders! So basically my questions if you can answer are 1. Am I likely to get a half decent van and system for around £6k?(and RO system as I live in Bournemouth, hard water area). And 2. When you change over do the current customers leave in favour of remaining with a traditional window cleaner? Many thanks in advance. :D

Advertisement
  2. mark m

mark m Hero

Hello and welcome
    6 k will easy do it mate the cheapest way would to buy the van you like and make your own system .You can build your own system for about £400 plus your poles reels etc you dont live to far away from me so if you need any help let me know i live in the bridport area

3. Lemonza

Lemonza Guest

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, the system I would ideally like would just be in the van and connected to a water supply over ***ht. Is it pretty easy to set up a system? At the moment I've looked at so many websites and in all honesty it's turned my brains to mush, I pretty much understand the process from tap water to purified water but I believe that setting up my own system could be difficult. Good things that are on my side though, I know a fabricator, plumber and a sparky so I'm sure between us we could figure it out. Thank you for the offer also.

4. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Yes mate, you can get a nice set up for 6k. If that was my budget, i'd split it 5k on van & 1k on wfp set up, I would make it myself (which is what I've done).

As for customers leaving, you may get a few, but you'll easily make the money back with the new kit. Once up to speed with wfp you'll be a lot quicker than ladders, and you can take on jobs you could never do with ladders.

Also, if a £5 (or even £50 for that matter) customer doesn't want you unless you're risking life and limb up a ladder- then stuff em! You don't want those kinda people.

Most people write a brief letter to customers explaining the process (and the benefits!), and you'll find most reasonable customers are more than happy, if they notice at all!

WFP was the best move I ever made business wise. Go for it. And don't be afraid to ask on here, we all gotta learn!

5. Lemonza

Lemonza Guest

That is very true, I'd say 95% of my customers would be fine with the changeover and the others, if I'm honest I don't really like anyway and could replace them pretty quickly I'm sure. What sort of checklist would I require to have a complete setup, ideally for two people so I can employ someone once I get a few more customers?

6. Lemonza

Lemonza Guest

I've just been to see a van that I like the look of, it's a vauxhall Vivaro 1.9 lwb. It has high mileage but has had the cam and gearbox done recently with full service history. Anyone else on here use this or a similar van for their RO pole system? And if so what size tank do you have? :D

7. harunh

harunh Legend

High mileage ? If i was spending over 3,000 on a van... the last thing i would want is high milage.... so make the most of your money lemonza mate

Advertisement