Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

buying new van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

With a new van you get a manufacturers warranty which could be up to 10 years with a Toyota! Plus you get too add bits and bobs you would like, things like heated seats or heated front screen, air con, maybe 2 or 3 seats up front, load sensors, parking sensors, even the colour etc.... If you buy used then you may pay less but these days maybe not.
As for justifying it that's a business decision and calculating payback period vs expenditure - it's not just buying the van it's all the extras like swapping system or new one, signwriting, new pole racks, racking, floor protection, seat covers etc.....
I bought a 3 year old Partner with a 2 man, 400lts, rodi system fitted, with 26K on the clock for the same price as an empty van!! A brand new Toyota Pro Ace City (Same van) was only £2K more expensive but instead of getting it in January I would still be waiting as delivery was scheduled for November! OK so I could have struggled on it the car with barrels and a backpack but it's just so much nicer to jump in the van and off I go, no unloading each night and reloading in the morning plus I can do more work in a day than I could have done with the car and it looks a lot more professional when pulling up to quote or do the job. That said the Partner broke down the other day and Peugeot couldn't book it in for 3 weeks to even test what was wrong! Long story but I replaced the alternator (for £30 more than Peugeot wanted just to plug it into a computer and tell me what the computer thought) and it's all good now.

Bottom line is do you Need a new van or Want one and how much will it financially stretch you? Although energy prices aren't going up as much, they are still going up and food is rocketing - no idea how gov fiddling inflation figures but food seems to be going up 10% a month.

Don't over stretch yourself, could you pay all your bills if you lost 25% of your customers? Maybe when the recession hits vans will be cheaper - second hand and new or interest rates will climb higher so getting fixed price finance now could save you long term......

It's a difficult one.

Back