Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Buying pure water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PC

Long shot!
I live in mid-Wales but work predominantly in Shropshire. I have no way of producing pure water at home as my water supply is by rain water harvesting. Not enough to run house and business.
I currently drive to Spotless Water in Telford at the end of each day which is around 100 miles extra on each day. This is costing me a fortune in diesel and a lot of time.
I’m looking for someone who lives in Mid Wales or Shropshire or anywhere in between who produces their own water at home and could supply me with 400-500 litres a day. If you don’t have the capacity to produce that extra amount at the moment I would be happy to pay for what would be needed to up your producing capacity.
Any other ideas would be great

Maybe you could find a garage with water and power to rent then set your own ro up? Maybe post on a local Facebook group asking about renting a local garage with power and water?
100 miles a day in fuel and water must be about £15 a day let alone the extra time you have to put in?

Maybe you could find a garage with water and power to rent then set your own ro up? Maybe post on a local Facebook group asking about renting a local garage with power and water?
100 miles a day in fuel and water must be about £15 a day let alone the extra time you have to put in?
I have looked at the possibility of a garage to rent. It’s more than £15 a day but it’s the time as well that us the killer

I have looked at the possibility of a garage to rent. It’s more than £15 a day but it’s the time as well that is the killer
I have looked at the possibility of a garage to rent. It’s more than £15 a day but it’s the time as well that is the killer
no idea why there are multiple replies from me. This site is mad sometimes!!

Have you tried local farmers as a lot have space and usually water and power around?
Livery yards? Neighbours? Pet shops that sell fish, garden centres. Maybe local Council, some have business development departments or business startup help - they might know somewhere to rent. Put an add in local shop window asking to rent space with power and water.
At £300+ a month costs have you looked at commercial units?

At the monthly extra costs let alone the extra time you need to look at every possibility.

On other possible solution could be one of your customers!! Maybe add a little note to your invoices asking if they know anywhere to rent with power and water. One of them might have a garage they would be willing to rent to you, or know someone who does!

On other possible solution could be one of your customers!! Maybe add a little note to your invoices asking if they know anywhere to rent with power and water. One of them might have a garage they would be willing to rent to you, or know someone who does!
Thanks for the suggestions

Stupid question maybe but why don’t you have a mains water supply at home ? Surely over time it would be more cost effective to try and sort that out , maybe a bore hole if you live in a rural location ??

Stupid question maybe but why don’t you have a mains water supply at home ? Surely over time it would be more cost effective to try and sort that out , maybe a bore hole if you live in a rural location ??
just had a borehole dug but it was dry
Believe me I’m doing everything in my power to rectify the situation at home. It is in my thoughts every single waking hour.
At the moment I’m going to start digging at the original source (well fed from spring) and see why it isn’t filling. It is going to take a long time and a lot of effort but I have no choice.
My post was about getting a better way of sourcing my work water whilst I battle with the other problem. If I can save money - great. If I can save time I can spend that time along with all the other time I spend on the water situation at home.

Believe me I’m doing everything in my power to rectify the situation at home. It is in my thoughts every single waking hour.
At the moment I’m going to start digging at the original source (well fed from spring) and see why it isn’t filling. It is going to take a long time and a lot of effort but I have no choice.
My post was about getting a better way of sourcing my work water whilst I battle with the other problem. If I can save money - great. If I can save time I can spend that time along with all the other time I spend on the water situation at home.
with respect you don’t dig a bore hole , it’s drilled they are very popular ware I live a decent company will do surveys first to find the water table then bore a 6-12 hole ,line it and drop a pump down, some bore holes go down several thousand feet to get to a water supply if it’s done properly you will never loose water and will have a limitless supply .

with respect you don’t dig a bore hole , it’s drilled they are very popular ware I live a decent company will do surveys first to find the water table then bore a 6-12 hole ,line it and drop a pump down, some bore holes go down several thousand feet to get to a water supply if it’s done properly you will never loose water and will have a limitless supply .
my mistake ‘drill’! ?
Had it done 2 weeks ago. Local guy well respected and spoken highly of. His quote was £10k. Other quotes ranged from £12-£18k. I went with him. Using his knowledge of the local area he was expecting to hit water within 35 metres. ‘Drilled’ to 120 metres but just a trickle. It happens. I’m just special I suppose as it happened to me. Cost me £2000 dry borehole charge. The other companies wanted £3000 even if they hit no water. To be fair their expenses are quite high. My guy drilled for 3 days and it is a really messy hard job. Put the steel casing in. If as expected he had hit water all he would have had to do was put in the pipe, borehole pump and hook to electricity and he would have collected his other £8k. So he wasn’t particularly happy either.
To be honest this water situation has dominated my life for a long time now and it is ongoing so can we please just stick to my original post regarding pure water.

Long shot!
I live in mid-Wales but work predominantly in Shropshire. I have no way of producing pure water at home as my water supply is by rain water harvesting. Not enough to run house and business.
I currently drive to Spotless Water in Telford at the end of each day which is around 100 miles extra on each day. This is costing me a fortune in diesel and a lot of time.
I’m looking for someone who lives in Mid Wales or Shropshire or anywhere in between who produces their own water at home and could supply me with 400-500 litres a day. If you don’t have the capacity to produce that extra amount at the moment I would be happy to pay for what would be needed to up your producing capacity.
Any other ideas would be great
What about the full set up in the van? then you could just plug in at the odd compliant customers place and give them a free clean while your tank is filling up.

As someone has suggested Standpipe Water Map | Aquam Water Services they appear to hire standpipes at about £35 a week plus water charge at about £1.35 /cubic meter. I believe that there are standpipe points all over the area that each water board covers - you have to specify which water board you want. Then you would need a van mounted RO and away you go but that might take too much time waiting to process the water? At a guess that would cost you about £40+vat a week for standpipe and water. It would be OK if the water tds is low as you could fill your tank then use DI to your brush?

my mistake ‘drill’! ?
Had it done 2 weeks ago. Local guy well respected and spoken highly of. His quote was £10k. Other quotes ranged from £12-£18k. I went with him. Using his knowledge of the local area he was expecting to hit water within 35 metres. ‘Drilled’ to 120 metres but just a trickle. It happens. I’m just special I suppose as it happened to me. Cost me £2000 dry borehole charge. The other companies wanted £3000 even if they hit no water. To be fair their expenses are quite high. My guy drilled for 3 days and it is a really messy hard job. Put the steel casing in. If as expected he had hit water all he would have had to do was put in the pipe, borehole pump and hook to electricity and he would have collected his other £8k. So he wasn’t particularly happy either.
To be honest this water situation has dominated my life for a long time now and it is ongoing so can we please just stick to my original post regarding pure water.
I would just move house and when I viewed a property then I would check the main water pressure in the house. It would save you in the long run.
It’s really difficult to sell your house with no water supply ? I don’t think they would give anyone a mortgage so would have to be a cash buyer and they would be in the same position I am. Obviously could sell at a considerable reduction in price but that’s certainly something I don’t want to do.
The standpipe idea sounds promising so will look into that.
Not sure about customers take as would depend on tds I suppose.
Thank you for all your input. Much appreciated

Another though, although it's probably a silly one. On Clarksons farm he had a tractor with a water pipe laying machine. As he drove it, it cut a trench and buried the pipe as it went. I realise that you might need to comply with water board specs and lay it deep enough to prevent it freezing not to mention getting permission from land owners to lay the pipe but It might be something you could consider if you could get friendly with a local farmer?

I think I would put a notice in some local shop windows or even ask in the local pub you never know what or who people know.
There must be a local solution to be found, it's just trying to think out of the box.

my mistake ‘drill’! ?

It’s really difficult to sell your house with no water supply ? I don’t think they would give anyone a mortgage so would have to be a cash buyer and they would be in the same position I am. Obviously could sell at a considerable reduction in price but that’s certainly something I don’t want to do.
Not sure about customers take as would depend on tds I suppose.
Thank you for all your input. Much appreciated
So what’s changed since you bought the house ?? Why has the supplied dried up ?? Seams unusual that this is the case , I have never known a bore hole company not find water , usually they just keep going deeper until they find it , only other option is to fit underground tanks like they do in Australia and have them filled but that would be expensive, the fire service will supply water by tanker and charge for it we do a few deliveries like this now and again , it isn’t technically classed as drinking water as the tanker isn’t CIP cleaned but if boiled it’s fine to drink . You could also fill the tanks with rain water not saying this is a permanent solution but it might help , but guess it would be costly.

my mistake ‘drill’! ?
I would just move house and when I viewed a property then I would check the main water pressure in the house. It would save you in the long run.
Not sure about customers take as would depend on tds i
So what’s changed since you bought the house ?? Why has the supplied dried up ?? Seams unusual that this is the case , I have never known a bore hole company not find water , usually they just keep going deeper until they find it , only other option is to fit underground tanks like they do in Australia and have them filled but that would be expensive, the fire service will supply water by tanker and charge for it we do a few deliveries like this now and again , it isn’t technically classed as drinking water as the tanker isn’t CIP cleaned but if boiled it’s fine to drink . You could also fill the tanks with rain water not saying this is a permanent solution but it might help , but guess it would be costly.
Thanks for your input
Appreciated

Back