Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Talking To Other Windys

WCF

Help Support WCF:

W

Wheatie

This weekend I was speaking to a windy roughly 20mins away from me. As normal chat goes spoke about tips business. but this stuck in my mind:

I asked about how things are going for him, rounds, custies etc etc. He said hes packing it in, I asked why.... He said there are to many Windys in this area, said theres people doing it for nothing nower days. I ask if he had been recruiting custies on new ground(first thing I have learnt on here is work aint gonna come to you, you gotta go get it). I asked then asked about canvassings and why dont he do it? he replied with theres no point far to many windys or people just dont want there windows cleaning, he then said do you clean your own windows, I then said course i dont, my wife does it lol! but on a serious note I said to behonest I dont, but will be cleaning my own soon.

I asked about why not get into other lines of work with the window cleaning, like cleaning Solar panels? gutter hoovering & cleaning? conservatories? he said: Solar Panels no point the companys who fit them send there own cleaners around a few times a year, gutter hoovering and cleaning not really heard of, and conserv's said that might be a good idea if he was staying in the business, I ask are you packing it all up? he said yeah he thinks so, just money is never a defo, the winters are too long, which i replied try going 6months in the artic circle in Norway them Nights/winters are long!

all in all this guy had loas all hope, he had the WFP, a nice van, but just lost all motivation. I just think to myself, we live 30-40mins from west of London. 35-45mins away is Slough, Stains, Reading, Guildford etc etc... big towns and cities with buildings going up everywhere how can it possiblie be this bad???

I asked about buying his kit and he said hes already got someone lined up, so was this bloke feeding me shite? or was he rubbish at his job, thats why he dont have as much work as he wants?

I got to admit sometimes i get down hearted, me thinking what if this/that and the other, but i try not tho think that in all honesty!? but i guess if you never try i guess you never know?

do you guys get like this bloke, cos in all honest if i looked and sounded like this he might be in a bad way? but if things are that bad, I would get me shoes on, iron the trousers get the company T-shirt on, print leaflets and get my ass out there canvassing and looking for work!!!!

What do you guys say about this whole talk?

In all walks of life you get people like this. Those negative people who no matter what have an excuse for everything and nothing ever goes right for them. I believe strongly that we are in the situation we are in because we put ourselves there. I don't care about economic downturn and this and that. If you want to succeed at anything you have to apply yourself. If you think things are bad and everything is doom and gloom IT WILL BE. If you think you'll fail you will. People like that are always right. If You have to work harder and Longer than before so be it. Just keep going. I left this game about 18 months ago NOT due to not enough custies blah blah but because I had a business disagreement with my business partner. In a time when everrything was the worst it has been for a long time we had managed to build a round of about 250 customers in less then 3 months. The work is there you just have to go get it.

Take the solar panel question. How many do you see that are minging. How often do you think these companies clean them? do they do it for free? Are you cheaper and more reliable then the services these SP companies offer. The guy sounds like he wants every one to come to him, if so he doesn't deserve to have his own business. If you want to make it work, have the freedom of being your own boss and such then it comes at a price. Nothing is free in this life and this proves it. Some people aren't cut out to lead. Some just need to be told what to do and told to get on with it.

You've got the right attitude to to succeed buddy, I'm sure you'll do great. Just keep going...

He's probably just bullshiting you so you change your mind and pack up before you start !!!

If he's not then he must be **** at his job!!!

Regardless of if there's 20 window cleaners In the area as long as you do a good job and are reliable and trustworthy

You will have no problems at all .

If he's wfp then he should be lapping the jobs up and raking it in .

I reckon he's shitting ya .

There's loads of work around loads of guttering jobs loads of conservatory jobs all you gotta do is get out there and get them .

You ask anyone on here I was ready to pack up after the first 4 weeks but just kept plodding on and I tell you what I

Have never been happier ! Cleaning windows suits me down to the ground I wouldn't change it for the world never .

In all walks of life you get people like this. Those negative people who no matter what have an excuse for everything and nothing ever goes right for them. I believe strongly that we are in the situation we are in because we put ourselves there. I don't care about economic downturn and this and that. If you want to succeed at anything you have to apply yourself. If you think things are bad and everything is doom and gloom IT WILL BE. If you think you'll fail you will. People like that are always right. If You have to work harder and Longer than before so be it. Just keep going. I left this game about 18 months ago NOT due to not enough custies blah blah but because I had a business disagreement with my business partner. In a time when everrything was the worst it has been for a long time we had managed to build a round of about 250 customers in less then 3 months. The work is there you just have to go get it.

Take the solar panel question. How many do you see that are minging. How often do you think these companies clean them? do they do it for free? Are you cheaper and more reliable then the services these SP companies offer. The guy sounds like he wants every one to come to him, if so he doesn't deserve to have his own business. If you want to make it work, have the freedom of being your own boss and such then it comes at a price. Nothing is free in this life and this proves it. Some people aren't cut out to lead. Some just need to be told what to do and told to get on with it.

You've got the right attitude to to succeed buddy, I'm sure you'll do great. Just keep going...
I got to admit I did feel for the bloke, but at the sametime i thought why not get off ur bum and go look for work.

but your advice is great mate! and cheers for info!

He's probably just bullshiting you so you change your mind and pack up before you start !!!

If he's not then he must be **** at his job!!!

Regardless of if there's 20 window cleaners In the area as long as you do a good job and are reliable and trustworthy

You will have no problems at all .

If he's wfp then he should be lapping the jobs up and raking it in .

I reckon he's shitting ya .

There's loads of work around loads of guttering jobs loads of conservatory jobs all you gotta do is get out there and get them .

You ask anyone on here I was ready to pack up after the first 4 weeks but just kept plodding on and I tell you what I

Have never been happier ! Cleaning windows suits me down to the ground I wouldn't change it for the world never .
I know mate, I cans see where yur coming from mate!

like yourself in Wolves, and got some big places around you too, I just feel there is work, BUT you gotta go look for it.

Where as a person head of a company doesnt get into work and think first thing I gotta call a windy, but when a windy wakes up hes on his round or canvassing dropping leaflets emailing, you gotta remind these guys they need there windows cleaning not hoping they call you!

there are 62 window cleaners in northampton that are on yell, then the ones that dont advertise and im still picking up work no problem there is work out there if you make the effort to work for it,

RC thats great to hear your doin well, but end of the day you put the effort in. I guess this bloke dont or hes feeding me shite!

yer thats ture, maybe he is going through a mid window cleaner life crisis and just lost it or like you say just givin rubbish info out to stop aomeone else starting out!

we all seem to go through that stage of it, then its just about kicking urself back in to line and gettin out there again. that feelin soon goes!

all i can say really, thank god for winter coming up, that nearly always gets rid of a few window cleaners that are out there just doing it for quick money in warm weather!!

all i can say really, thank god for winter coming up, that nearly always gets rid of a few window cleaners that are out there just doing it for quick money in warm weather!!
Do you find a lot of people who are jus in it for the summer months?

Do you find a lot of people who are jus in it for the summer months?
wouldnt say a lot, but yer there are blokes out there that only take it on to get money in the summer and cant hack it in the winter coz its harder to work

I guess if you lose one you gain another tho, few months when the weather turns you get a phone call off the old custy asking for ur services again and you tell then where to go lol

I guess if you lose one you gain another tho, few months when the weather turns you get a phone call off the old custy asking for ur services again and you tell then where to go lol
yer true,

depends if im near them i prob still clean them again, its still money and if they are really bad after the bad weather, you could even try and get more money out of them ! lol

Only thing holdin me bk is the cash, but just gotta wait till December. Get it all planned, everything ready, all kit lined up & a van, then once that cash comes in I will buy it all there n then! That's why doin all the home work now mate.

Back