Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Twin Di Problem

chilt69

I've been exterior cleaning for a few years now, mostly patios & gutters, with a few window jobs - all done trad. The window cleaning side has been picking up, and I have decided to add a WFP system to my van - as it'll help wash down windows after cleaning gutters + it'll speed up my window cleaning work.

I've got some pre-filters already (sediment, carbon) which are between my tap & tank. I've been given a couple of DI vessels from someone, which I think are 4.6lt.

As I'll only be using around 300 - 400 litres a week, do you think these two DI's will be enough - one before the tank, and one after? The TDS reading after the existing pre-filters is around 230ppm. Obviously I'd like to use the DI's as they were free, rather than spend extra on a RO (though I appreciate the benefits).

Any advice gladly received!

Hi chilt69 seen your post earlier and has you've had no response will have a stab at it for you 230ppm seems high to a me as mine lot lower about 25% of your reading would think the two di vessel even though 4.6 would do the trick the problem you will have is the first di will do most of the work and will need resin replacing regularly you can use the resin calculator found on the index page to calculate the cost what you really need to know is will it be more cost effective than ro obviously you can rotate the di vessels to extend life slightly you can fill 1 vessel 5 times from one 25ltr bag approx £80 a bag may be more may be less but good calculator base rate

Christ don't use DI for that will cost a fortune.

Even with twin DI's you will be looking at around £35/40 per month in resin.

You would do better buying an RO unit. Then running through a DI or just using the RO water

chilt69 for the amount of pure water you are using di is the why to go if you say you use 350lt a week a bag of resin will last you 2 months less than £2 a day twin di twice as long and would cost less than a £1 a day

chilt69 for the amount of pure water you are using di is the why to go if you say you use 350lt a week a bag of resin will last you 2 months less than £2 a day twin di twice as long and would cost less than a £1 a day
I agree. One job a day @ £10 per job over 7 days will pay for another bag of resin. Personally I think that's cheap to help run ur business. if you have a large round with 400/500 customers or more, than I would then personally get an RO system. This is what I have had to do to be more cost effective, and boy do I know it.

He would be looking at spending around £400 per year on resin.

If he went the RO route he probably wouldn't even need to change any filters in the first year.

Apart from being easier (DI) it is wasting money.

I would stick to a di vessel as well as you are only part time 300lt a week is so little .You will fill it up in no time and no storage problems and you dont have the expense of buying a ro so thats 9 months free pure water already

The long term intentions are to invest in a static RO system, once funds allow for the necessary equipment & bigger shed!

As the DI's (6.9lt, not 4.6lt) were free, the only outlay is the resin for now. Checked the cost calculator thing, and at £1 a day I think thats okay for now.

@ 230ppm your first DI will need changing after about 2 weeks at 300 Litres usage per week.

You can chop and change the DI's to get the most out of the resin, But you are still going to be talking £30/£40 per month.

RO could be had for less than £100

Tank 2nd hand £75

Pipes and misc £25

Shed ( 350L aint that much to store)

So for £200 you would have water Being produced at 7ppm

After using resin for 6 months, you could have bought the above set up.

You could even sell the DI's or one.

Anyway, best of luck with what you do /emoticons/smile.png

Chilt another rumoured idea I have heard of is give your own gutters a good clean and catch rain water with water butts take a reading of the rain water first of course should be a lot lower than what your getting from the tap then run that through the di . So first catch a sample of rainwater take a tds reading use the calculator and see if the resin would last longer its your low water use age that may make it viable but the savings may not be great enough a gravity filter can be used on down spouts but jeff bumble would be the man to explain this to you

^ Very good idea indeed, in fact probably the best on this thread.

And..................

Its Jeff Brimble lol!!!!!

^ Very good idea indeed, in fact probably the best on this thread.
And..................

Its Jeff Brimble lol!!!!!
Apologies to jeff for that one must have spell checker switched on and the credit all is jeffs most of the good ideas I've gained have come from jeff

Chilt another rumoured idea I have heard of is give your own gutters a good clean and catch rain water with water butts take a reading of the rain water first of course should be a lot lower than what your getting from the tap then run that through the di . So first catch a sample of rainwater take a tds reading use the calculator and see if the resin would last longer its your low water use age that may make it viable but the savings may not be great enough a gravity filter can be used on down spouts but jeff bumble would be the man to explain this to you
Something I was looking at, though would need to change my guttering (no downpipe as middle house in terrace), and get pump to run the water from storage tank to garage about 100ft away at end of garden. However, I just checked some rainwater & with a TDS reading of 9ppm, I think this could happen next weekend!
And having run the figures through the calculator again, it means a resin change every 60 weeks!

@ 230ppm your first DI will need changing after about 2 weeks at 300 Litres usage per week.

You can chop and change the DI's to get the most out of the resin, But you are still going to be talking £30/£40 per month.
RO could be had for less than £100

Tank 2nd hand £75

Pipes and misc £25

Shed ( 350L aint that much to store)

So for £200 you would have water Being produced at 7ppm

After using resin for 6 months, you could have bought the above set up.

You could even sell the DI's or one.

Anyway, best of luck with what you do /emoticons/smile.png

When i was using 27lt twin di vessel i was getting approx 6000lts a bag of resin so if he is using 300lt a week it will work out fine for him

Harvested rainwater works out well for me also alot cheaper in resin as my tap water is 350 ppm. But the downside tis my setup uses electric to run a transfer pump from my holding tanks through filters di to my van tank. So was thinking for me to be true eco friendly to use a 12volt system and get a small solar panel to recharge the battery. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Latest Posts

Back