Can I WFP all styles of window's?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by OorHuddie, Aug 25, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tags:
  1. OorHuddie

OorHuddie Newcomer

Hello all.
    I've been a member of the forums for quite some time now and have recently taken the plunge and set myself up with a van and wfp set-up. Starting from scratch in the first 4 weeks of work I am up to 35 regular customers and so am happy with the slow but gradual growth. I have been cleaning mainly standard upvc framed modern windows up until now but today got a job to clean a large house with some upvc but also some older style windows. My question may be a stupid one but is it ok to wfp wooden framed windows, sash windows and alike? Do you get many runs or streaks etc? Is there a particular technique or is it just a case of good clean then lots of rinsing? IMG_20160825_100834.jpg IMG_20160825_101113.jpg IMG_20160825_101200.jpg I have attached some pictures of the ones I will be cleaning next week. Thanks in anticipation for your advice!

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

I do but if they in poor condition theyll leak just be gentle and use a low flow rate

3. CHWS

CHWS Forum Addict

Personally I wouldn't do wooden frames , I do one house that has wooden frames that have been freshly gloss painted and have no problems with it

4. Cambride Cleaner

Cambride Cleaner Cambridgeshire Cleaner

I do all sorts with WFP - even a 16th Century Manor House and also thatched cottages. Have to be careful and gentle but so far no complaints

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

5. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Just warn them it might take a couple of cleans to get them spotless. Them old style penny stamp windows (original georgion) can hold a lot of dirt, especially if the paintwork is cracking

6. Cookie

Cookie Member

I clean all types on my round. The key thing is to take your time on the first clean and, as others have said, be more gentle than you would with UPVC windows...

With sash windows I scrub & rinse the top half of the window and then return to clean the bottom half (cleaning other windows in between). Hopefully by this time the top window has mostly stopped dripping. You will find all sorts of dirt and spiders webs collect in the bottom window frame which can be a pain ....

I find brown wooden framed windows much easier and quicker to clean than white UPVC framed windows.

7. OorHuddie

OorHuddie Newcomer

Many thanks for all your replies and advice. That's boosted my confidence. I've quoted enough to give me a good couple of hours doing them first off so hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks guys

8. Adam curtis

Adam curtis Member

Go for it just rinse the hell out of them first time

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

9. Part Timer

Part Timer Member

I find using a very soft bristled brush is best.

10. TWC

TWC Active Member

When I first started I remember doing this wood frame house with my mixed medium and this enormous chunk of paint being dislodged and thinking oh eck I'm never doing wood again. Now I always use Gardiner flocked brush for wooden frames and leaded Windows as its so gentle on them

Advertisement