Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What would you do in this situation?

Cleanz

Couple of weeks ago, I went to collect from my customer on a Saturday morning. When she answered the door, she said "you'd better come in". I instantly thought, here we go - wants to go two monthly or something similar. She closed the door and broke down crying, turns out her husband who I knew as well died in front of her all of a sudden a few days before.

He was in his sixties so not majorly old and appeared healthy etc, so it was a huge shock to her - especially as it was right in front of her after they had just had a cuppa! Anyway she was absolutely distraught, I hugged her a couple of times and she really did not want to let me go, she said she didn't know if she could cope etc.

Was really heartbreaking to be honest. She has already written me a note in case she didn't see me when I came and said she wanted to go 3 monthly as she wasn't sure if she could afford it anymore. I'm totally okay with that (although I don't normally do 3 monthlys).

Thing is, like most of us I've had customers die on me a few times. Never nice, but these two have been nothing but really good to me from the off and great customers as well - seeing her that upset was not nice.

I can't help but feel I should clean for her for free in the other months until she decides what's what with her situation and just let her pay for the 3rd month, I'm sure she would try to argue with me and wouldn't accept it but what would you lot do?

This sounds like a conscience matter for yourself. I have a lot of retired couples and when one passes away of course it is soooo sad. I gave one of my older ladys a hug a few months back, as she said it was the annivesary of her husband dying, but I still charged her for doing her windows that day and your post has just awoken my conscience that I should havent have charged her that day. I have a wife and 3 kids to feed and life goes on, so what do you do? Is it only business, or does your conscience tell you to show some sympathy, your choice may depend on what you already earn and can afford to do it and take the hit, or is your heart big enough to take the hit and lose out financially? Do what you think is right:)

and i thought i was a big softie....it is really awkward....but most people know you have to make a living...i was really upset when one of my custys was diagnosed with cancer and heard how she fought it ..and it really did effect me ...i can still see her as clear as day but you have to carry on....i clean the daughters and its really sends the message home which is partly why i listen to the top dog on here on the safety issue ...life is so short...

time is a healer...but its a bloomin long wait....you both above offered understanding and help and that is all you can do..

now you have made me :gush: sad....

but a very good post cleanz

With a conscience like that, it's a good job you never decided to be an Undertaker........

You'd never make any money :whistle: /emoticons/smile.png.

Its really sad, but... a free window clean isn't going to make things better. By all means switch her to a lower frequency visit, but working for free is not the way to go here IMHO. If it was me, I would keep an eye out for her, and throw in the odd extra when I'm ahead of schedule. Something as simple as pulling a few weeds out just shows you are trying to help. But ultimately, you are trying to make a living, so don't shoot yourself in the foot, as there are many customers that are going to have problems in their lives.

Cheers guys, yeah I know, I know. Your right I can't clean for free, have a wife and 3 kids as well as all the problems that come with that to deal with myself /emoticons/smile.png

To be honest a customer death doesn't normally affect me this way, discovered a couple of them dead myself! It was more her reaction than anything, suppose it must have been hard 40 odd years of marriage and then gone right in front of her like that. I'll buy her a bunch of flowers and check in on her when they are due next month but continue with a 3 monthly clean...

Its really sad, but... a free window clean isn't going to make things better. By all means switch her to a lower frequency visit, but working for free is not the way to go here IMHO. If it was me, I would keep an eye out for her, and throw in the odd extra when I'm ahead of schedule. Something as simple as pulling a few weeds out just shows you are trying to help. But ultimately, you are trying to make a living, so don't shoot yourself in the foot, as there are many customers that are going to have problems in their lives.
I just had one die the other month, he fought his cancer like a trooper and his missus was and is just a tower of strength, an inspiration of how to deal with ''life''

Every clean i do a window above her conny that i never used to, and every now and then if i'm in front i give some of her pvc a spruce and pull any weeds i see out of her gutters, takes me literally 2 mins extra but i like to look after her.

But as has been said.......life goes on and sadly it costs money, they understand this too.

Back