Canvassing in autumn?

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by slippy, Aug 2, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

I am part time, but may well lose my other job so have been canvassing quite hard recently. May lose other job in September and I canvass from 5pm - 8.30 in the evenings. It's light so people aren't scared. Is it impossible to canvass and get new customers once the nights start closing in? Am I doing the right thing.

I worry also that some customers will drop off in the winter so am trying to get as many as possible. Some I can't do for another 3 weeks. they seem ok with that. is it ok to put customer off for 3 or 4 weeks?

Advertisement
  2. meridion

meridion Well-Known Member

After 8:30pm it's just a bit late time wise mate. It's not normal to get called on that late without appointment.

Keep going though, if you do that every night, you'll soon be covering your bills. I try not to put off new cleans more than a week or two unless they say. Although you can always ask them "do you want them doing more urgently or can it wait until we are normally in that area?"

Or what I do is, if you have a 4 week cycle, I do them immediately and then every 5 weeks until they fall on the week they should be and then proceed as normal. If that makes sense.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

3. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

How do you canvass when it gets dark at 5 or 6. Does anyone canvass during the day? Surely, no one is in!

4. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

Canvas from 12 but wen dark 7:30 be limit for me

5. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Ive never canvassed on an evening, just cant muster going out at that time lol

during daytime on an average day, i would pick up 1 an hour, happy enough with that tbh

prefer just doing an hours knocking or leafletting when ive finished for the day rather than go home, sit down then go back out, feck that lol.

mind you ive not knocked for months, i find facebook and local magazine/website picks up the odd one, glad i dont really need to canvass anymore, picks up all sorts of messers,. Prefer leafletting tbh much better quality customers on the whole.

but yeah daytime is not problem for canvassing

6. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

adamangler u find that wen u dont look for the work .. the work that comes in u can price well and they dont tend to be messers as they have sought u out

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

if you sit at home worrying "what if...." guaranteed youll get no jobs

best to canvass long n hard to build your round , at all times in all weather no excuses or youll fail

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. mark macca

mark macca Member

I'm finding ten in morning when the kids are at school as all te mums are home and bored by then watching jezza and between 4 and half 6 are proveing to be the best times to canvass for me personally and leaflett for a hour at lunch time I personally haven't been stoping as just building a round I'm only rele working 4 to 5 hour days and canvassing all day on a sat doing ok for me ATM

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. meridion

meridion Well-Known Member

When they come to you, you do have the "upper hand" in pricing etc, but it's a slow way to grow. I found its only when you get past the 3k/4k mark that you have enough of a presence to get enquiries every day or other day etc.

Quickest way is always knocking.

10. mark macca

mark macca Member

I agree but some do find it daunting I did when I started but now I knock chat my patter and always flirt abit if it's the woman of the house home love the dress bet ur loveing the weather load of patter to make them feel comfortable around you and 75% are yours don't be shy make them feel comfortable and that you are approachable and it's easy you no if thay need your service or not ie mingin windows or weeds growing out the gutters I think personally if thay are comfortable talking to you half the battle is done

Advertisement