Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

canvassing phobia

lee.h

well after a few poor attempts at canvassing i finally got over my fear of knocking doors and went pretty mental today, knocking every door in sight

and putting the word out as much as possible . got alot more of this planned

and found it ok actually. A few people told me not to bother as there are already window cleaners in the area but there are numerous cleaners everywhere these days so im not worried. i dont want to tread on toes so i did avoid houses with obviously clean windows.

im no sales man but i think i did ok, have managed to get a few customers in week one so not bad. thanks to everyone who has responded to messages etc your support is extremely appreciated!

should i be dis heartend by the presence of other cleaners in the area?

don't be disheartened by others on the street. i was asked to do a house by someone who said he could'nt find a w/c. on the day i did them there were 2 lads at the house opposite, the following time saw another!

no one has right to a monopoly, and most of the compe***ion is either freindly or indifferent, but there are some who get shirty but i have'nt had one for years

Well done mate. The more you practise the knocking the easier it'll become. Balls to the compe***ion and other peoples "turf"!

just about to go back out again.. i was really strugling with nerves so i just set a target of 10 houses and did that easy. so then i just did the entire area for four hours haha, need to do more tho.

thanks for all the support i dont think id be able to do it otherwise if im hoinest

3 new customers today guys.... cannot beleive it, im so happy.. still a little nervous but it'll go away some time im sure

I been told that when canvassing. People move house, new people move in, you might get someone that don't need you but there mum dad brother sister nan ect might. And believe me mate you will have windys canvassing your "patch" so just crack on. If the custys are happy with the windy they got they will say and just move on.

Mate, canvas EVERY house, I knocked on a door YESTERDAY with (in my opinion) clean windows, and he wanted me to do them today, so did. hehe.

Got 4 houses yesterday on a road where plenty others had window cleaners.

£40 total extra.

Helps pay for a weeks diesel for 2hours work.

RESULT!

Just keep at it, sky is the limit.

in terms of window cleaning i been at it a total of about a week, i really am starting out in that sense. Iv had a small cleaning company for a while tho but out of all of the jobs iv done i enjoy window cleaning the most so im going into that. i have hardly any customers but i do have 2 rather large ones and about 7 houses, which for a week isnt bad i suppose but alot of that is people i know so nothing special. iv done all sorts, builders cleans for an ex employer ( total ***ht mare i nearly cried doing them) clearance of stinking properties , some absolutly horrible cleans full house cleans exterior powerwashing , restoration work on building exterior. Its been a very hard ride to be honest but i genuinely enjoy window cleaning and happiness is key to me. I have done a bit of it over the past year and thought why not go for it full on.

previously i worked as a structural engineer ( i have a degree also) but i absolutly despised it!!!!.

i love working outside window cleaning... simple as that . i would never , ever return to an office job ..never

I'm new as well, doing trad and absolutely loving it (not bad for someone been scared of hights most of his life) but I really hate the canvassing, it's not shyness I've earned my living as a DJ most of my life and shyness don't come with that job. Don't know what it is but I dread it, thankfully though I did a street with the missus last week and bugger me she's a natural so I'm looking at some target areas and gonna send her out.

I hope it passes, missus off work with a shattered wrist but back at work in couple months so gotta face all my fears and get the job done after that lol.

Back