Canvassing tactics

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by Paulie18, Oct 18, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paulie18

Paulie18 Guest

Hi. I'll be going out in the next few days to begin my canvassing campaign. I haven't printed any leaflets yet, though I do have a card to hand out. I just wanted to know what the best strategy is at the doorstep. Of course, I'm not expecting everyone to be polite - that goes with the territory with cold calling, I guess. But what would be a good icebreaker?

Any thoughts on this would be welcomed.

Advertisement
  2. Ken

Ken Guest

Nobody has been rude to me on the doors canvassing.

"Afternoon/Morning, I'm (enter name here), and I clean windows in the area and I was wondering if you'd be interested in a free quote?"

8 times out of ten you'll get, "I have a window cleaner, no thanks"
    But keep at it.

3. nearlyclean

Supplier

I use the same lines as Ken,keep it brief if I get a rejection I politely say good bye and get to the next door quick.Later some of these rejections have become customers later when I have cleaned their neighbours for while so always pays to be polite.
    Take a note pad and pen,plenty of business cards.

4. Paulie18

Paulie18 Guest

Cheers for the advice. I guess the key is to keep it short and sweet. I suppose I want to avoid that over-polished approach - the energy salesman thing - where they ask you how you are and how nice your garden looks and how nice the your dinner smells. I find these false compliments a little irritating, as the bottom line is always about parting me from my cash. I just want to be honest, no-nonsense, tell them why I'm there and hope it works.

Thanks, people. Wish me luck.

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

Dont forget to smile and as your last post states Paulie18 treat people how you would want to be treated.Straight to point is the best way and if they say yes I need a window cleaner then you can put on the sales patter LOL

6. ex-jedi

ex-jedi Guest

Make sure you look smart too. If you don't already have a top with your name & logo on it, think about getting one done. Be clean shaven and check your breath too :D

Advertisement