Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello to all, Newbie Question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jules

Firstly, I would like to say hello to all, great website! My query is, I changed over to WFB about six weeks ago, 350 gpd RO, 11 litre RI vessel as I live in a hard water area. Typical reading hovers around 300. My concern is with water wastage, presently on a meter. It typically takes nigh on five or six hour s to produce just 75 litres. Anyway, a fellow windie changed over about the same time as myself and was advised to only use an RI vessel? He uses about 75 to 100 litres a day and has not yet had to change his resin? Could this be possible, how long or how much water could you reasonably expect from an 11 litre vessel? I'm tempted to go that route but obviously don't want to be encountering water quality problems and expense. Your advice would be appreciated. I did think about pumping the

waste water back through the RO but was told it wasn't worth it, diminishing returns and all that?

Something has to be wrong with your set up. 5-6 hours to produce 75L is not right.

With a tds of 300, if you just use a d.i, you will go through resin like lightning

Something has to be wrong with your set up. 5-6 hours to produce 75L is not right.With a tds of 300, if you just use a d.i, you will go through resin like lightning
My water pressure according to my RO is around the 50 psi mark, I'm using a Filterplus RO system. I'm pretty sure it's hooked up correctly, the readings are fine, zero ppm. Thanks for your reply. How long should it take?

Just checked the ppm from the RO unit and its at the 30 mark, so it's obviously doing its job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, I would like to say hello to all, great website! My query is, I changed over to WFB about six weeks ago, 350 gpd RO, 11 litre RI vessel as I live in a hard water area. Typical reading hovers around 300. My concern is with water wastage, presently on a meter. It typically takes nigh on five or six hour s to produce just 75 litres. Anyway, a fellow windie changed over about the same time as myself and was advised to only use an RI vessel? He uses about 75 to 100 litres a day and has not yet had to change his resin? Could this be possible, how long or how much water could you reasonably expect from an 11 litre vessel? I'm tempted to go that route but obviously don't want to be encountering water quality problems and expense. Your advice would be appreciated. I did think about pumping thewaste water back through the RO but was told it wasn't worth it, diminishing returns and all that?
What's your waste to pure ratio?

What's a 350GPD r/o?

300ppm in and 30 out of the r/o. No the r/o isn't doing its job.That's a rejection rate of 90%. A new r/o membrane should be performing at between 97 and 98%, even with your lower water pressure.

Before I went 4040 I had a 450GPD r/o. Water in 250+, water out 4. Tap water pressure 40psi. That r/o produced water at that efficiency for 6 years.

-

I've just set my system up 390 tap tds 14 from the ro, but Thats with a booster pump I added yesterday. From 30 psi to 80 with the boosters, the tds dose drop with that kind of pressure In fact mine was 34

But is now as I said 14. May be see if you have m8 who has one you could try to see if it helps.

Or bite the bullet and get one....

Firstly, I would like to say hello to all, great website! My query is, I changed over to WFB about six weeks ago, 350 gpd RO, 11 litre RI vessel as I live in a hard water area. Typical reading hovers around 300. My concern is with water wastage, presently on a meter. It typically takes nigh on five or six hour s to produce just 75 litres. Anyway, a fellow windie changed over about the same time as myself and was advised to only use an RI vessel? He uses about 75 to 100 litres a day and has not yet had to change his resin? Could this be possible, how long or how much water could you reasonably expect from an 11 litre vessel? I'm tempted to go that route but obviously don't want to be encountering water quality problems and expense. Your advice would be appreciated. I did think about pumping thewaste water back through the RO but was told it wasn't worth it, diminishing returns and all that?
Welcome to the forum Jules, great to have you with us. If you need any help with the forum let me know, otherwise, our fab members have plenty of advice and experience to share. /emoticons/wink.png:thumbsup:

Hi Jules, When my uncle began his transition from trad to WFP, he used 2 Di vessels and as the TDS readings increased he would only renew the resin in the first vessel and move the second vessel to the front and new refilled vessel to the rear and this was the method used for sometime before going fully R.O.

There was never a problem filling from most customers too which helped to keep overheads down, the downside is that you will use more resin and if memory serves me right about a bag every 6-8wks.

When we changed to full RO the amount of water wasted seemed more than we were collecting but now just collect the waste water in water butts to water the garden, pressure wash the drive etc and a bag of resin has lasted over a year still using twin vessels.

I think if you were to input waste water back into the RO it may have an impact on how long the membranes and pre filters last.

Another thing you can try is to try and slow the flow of waste water with a valve which should slightly increase production rate

hope you find something useful

cheers

My ro unit is a 450gpd goes in around 360 comes out at 004 I can't see the other windies resin lasting that long if you're TDs is around 300 and he is running straight from a tap.

Many thanks for the replies, have been away for a few days. Looks like I should stick with the RO and DI method. I recently did another check on my water from the RO and it brings the ppm down from around 290 to 15. So I'm guessing its working ok. Maybe harvesting rainwater is the way to go. Best get my **** into gear and clean my gutters out!

Back