Car mount system

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by slippy, May 8, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

car boot photo.jpg inside of reel.jpg stick in barrel.jpg reel on board.jpg

This is my attempt to run a reel from my car. Tried it yesterday The reel is secured on a board and the pump (in blue box) is placed next to the car. I closed (but didn't lock boot.

It was quicker than using a trolley and was better on my injured shoulder, however, the connector on the inside of the reel came off, why? this meant lots of water poured into the boot. I tried to pump most of it out and mop rest up. It seems like the two areas where water can leak are from the reel connectors and also the pump (where hose comes out), should I place both on the pavement? Even though I put tarpaulin underneath everything, and it definitely was much better than having nothing but because so much water leaked out some got through to the carpet in boot, is there a better way to waterproof underneath?

Finally, I put a hose taped to a piece of garden cane to keep the hose sucking right from the bottom of barrel, is there a better way?

Advertisement
  2. jimmyboots

jimmyboots Forum Addict

For the hose into the barrel you want a hole in the top of one lid, thread the hose through lid and then a piece of plastic tubing the length of the barrel for the hose to thread down to the bottom of the barrel. put a none return valve on the end of the hose.
    It looks like you dont have any o clips on the ends of your hose going to connections, that would be why its all leaking.
    you should be able to keep the pump box in the car, no need to have it outside really.

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

You could also find water has leaked into the floor cavity under the back seats and the seats will be full of water. There is a rubber inspection cap on the driver's side to access the pump in the fuel tank, but I don't think there is anything on the other side. The passenger foot wells will also fill with water.
    You need to dry that car out asap or it will stink of damp.

-

4. Solarpanelcleanington

Solarpanelcleanington Forum Addict

Maybe try and put everything in a large shallow tray? Cut the bottom couple of inches off an ibc maybe?

5. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

#5 slippy, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Do you mean o ring (or would a jubilee clip do?) on the connector inside the reel? You mean put the o ring just before the hozelock connector?
    Will try and find some plastic pipe which is hollow through the middle so can get my (estimated 10mm) hose through it.

But surely it would be just so much easier to just put the reel and battery/pump on the pavement until I get all the connectors sorted. Another question, I can shut the boot door, but it isn't locked but there's no way to run hoses in and out of boot without keeping it unlocked , is there? Just don't keep valuables in car I guess!

Also, how much damage does pure water do to metal in vehicles if it works its way through to it? I heard it's like acid!

6. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

How much are second hand IBC tanks. The passenger seats don't fold down enough to be perfectly flat like the boot, but I guess it doesn't matter does it. Are the IBC strong enough to not crack if barrels fall over or whatever?

7. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

You wanna shove an IBC tank in your car now!?:eek:

Sorry, but I can't stop giggling :D

8. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

I was thinking along the same lines. I see you have everything on a board. Could you screw and glue some 2x2 round the edge of the board to make a tray that fits the back of your car. Paint it with a waterproof coating. I would use several coats and choose something that dries flexible if you can for obvious reasons. I would leave the tarpaulin under it as a second line of defense against water leakage. Must admit I've had barrels fall over in my car and leak all over and it's never got under the tarp as long as I've turned the sides up. I also replace it every few months in case it splits through wear n tear.

9. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Sorry if this is harsh slippy. Flog the car and get a van

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

Actually that board was just for the reel and two barrels either side to hold it down, it's quite small, but as you suggest could get a bigger board and glue and screw 2 by 2 all around it (use ply) then put silicon around the join and then paint it. Be on a bit of a slope as back seats aren't totally flat, but that doesn't matter.

Advertisement