Catalyctic Converter Theft

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by harvey69, Oct 22, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. harvey69

harvey69 Member

Hi there. I just got my catalyctic converter nicked in the middle of the afternoon from my citroen berlingo van parked in south london . Has anyone else been victim of such a theft lately? That cost me £360 to replace!! If anyone gets theirs nicked I would strongly advice you to shop around before using kwick fit! A bunch of thieves!! They quoted me £630 at first saying that a catalyctic converter replacement for my berlingo van would be
    rather expensive because of the make !!! When I objected to the price saying that on the phone I had been told that the price would be between : £350 and £530. That riff raff of mechanic pretended to be talking to someone on the phone !!
    Just for me he might be able to get me a better price . and hey bingo : £530! I just told him to forget about it ! Being taken for a mug not for me ! I called a friend of mine who recommended me a mechanic who did the job in less than half a day and charged me : £360. Definetely worth shopping around.

When I objected to saying it was far too expensive

Advertisement
  2. Dodger

Dodger Hero

First time I've heard of that mate jeez. And almost getting robbed twice is even worse.

3. nwcs

nwcs Forum Addict

I've heard gypsy going round nicking them off mobile homes,

the police caught them in the end,

was on the local news about 3 years back

4. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

not good, they was being stolen a while ago as there was good money in them,

I had to replace mine as it was on the part of the exhaust that snapped, think I only got charged £150 - £200 for my berlingo,

you can get the part from euro car parts from £78. if I had the jacks I could of done it myself as it was only some clip clamps holding it all on.

5. mufcglen

mufcglen Well-Known Member

i used to be a mechanic at peugeot and they used to get nicked all the time,we also had plastic fuel tanks pierced to nick fuel and with french cars having the spare wheel underneath,they used to get nicked too!
    the best one though was we had a peugeot boxer yrs ago we pushed out of the workshop into the car park as we had to order some parts in under warranty and when we pushed it back in the workshop once the part come in a week later,some pikey had been under the van and ripped the engine wiring loom out and absolutely butchered it!
    we always found these goings on when the travelling caravan crew always arrived in town for a few days, we always had to lock down our snap on roll cabs too as they always tried to break into the garage!

6. Eclipse

Eclipse Well-Known Member

If you haven't replaced it already get someone to weld a piece of pipe in there for you, CAT isn't a legal requirement for a diesel.

7. harvey69

harvey69 Member

Well . I got it replaced now for £360 ! And that was done by a trustworthy mechanic who told me there was no other alternative otherwise it might not pass the mot. The gypsies were at it again! Oopsss I'd better say nothing or I might be the one being for discrimination !

8. harvey69

harvey69 Member

Hey they ve got to find the money somewhere to pay for their big caravans!!!!!

9. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Correct chaps we can't allow rascism of any kind sorry. I know its lighthearted but still we can't allow it.

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

they usually go for the bigger vans as they are easier to slide under . its worth getting the fixings welded on if you have a big van

Advertisement