Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

One off Clean Price

WCF

Help Support WCF:

J

Jon Grainger

Hi guys

I have been asked to do a one off clean, which I don't normally do, but it's on the way to some other work, so I'm a bit indifferent if I get it or not.

Going to see the potential customer tomorrow, but I wondered what price structure everyone else uses? I normally do 50% extra, but I might try 2x or 2.5x the £1 per window price, depending on how dirty.

Regards

J

I do take on one off cleans and even advertise it on my van. When asked I say it's £30 per hour and shouldn't take any more than an hour but if I suspect it will I will let them know before I start.

I get about 50% of the ones that inquire. As it is not my main source income it matters not if I get them or not.

I had a chap ask once, I said £30, he said 'I was thinking more like £12' I said 'I was thinking Strawberry Cheesecakes' he said 'What's that got to do with anything?' I said 'Well there's your answer sir!' and that ended the conversation. /emoticons/smile.png)

I do take on one off cleans and even advertise it on my van. When asked I say it's £30 per hour and shouldn't take any more than an hour but if I suspect it will I will let them know before I start.
I get about 50% of the ones that inquire. As it is not my main source income it matters not if I get them or not.

I had a chap ask once, I said £30, he said 'I was thinking more like £12' I said 'I was thinking Strawberry Cheesecakes' he said 'What's that got to do with anything?' I said 'Well there's your answer sir!' and that ended the conversation. /emoticons/smile.png)
you tell them an hourly rate ???????????????? most of my customers would die of shock & resent me i'm sure if they knew what i get an hour lol

Why would you want to do one offs cheaper than your regular work?

A canvasser I had other week quoted a guy £10 for his house. Anyway few days later the guy rang me and saI'd he'd been quoted 10 but was only wanting to pay £4.

I said £4?

He said yes

Then the phone went down just as he probably heard me call him a cheeky **** under my breath lol

One offs I quote double unless it's a first clean which I always take on the chin for the chance of a regular custy

you tell them an hourly rate ???????????????? most of my customers would die of shock & resent me i'm sure if they knew what i get an hour lol
No I do not tell customers what I warn per hour, I tell people that inquire for a one off clean it is £30 per hour. Why not? Call the plumber, the mechanic, any other tradesman and you will be told an hourly rate, why should we be different? Are we lesser tradesmen?

A canvasser I had other week quoted a guy £10 for his house. Anyway few days later the guy rang me and saI'd he'd been quoted 10 but was only wanting to pay £4.
I said £4?

He said yes

Then the phone went down just as he probably heard me call him a cheeky **** under my breath lol

One offs I quote double unless it's a first clean which I always take on the chin for the chance of a regular custy
Agreed, if they are choosing regular cleaning then the first clean is a hit you take in order to maintain the relationship.

No I do not tell customers what I warn per hour, I tell people that inquire for a one off clean it is £30 per hour. Why not? Call the plumber, the mechanic, any other tradesman and you will be told an hourly rate, why should we be different? Are we lesser tradesmen?
not at all good point, never thought of it like that, but i know people roll there eyes at mechanics charging £35 an hour.

but however good a job we do on manky gutters & difficult windows etc we're not gonna be classed as skilled as people who served a 4 yr apprenticeship

not at all good point, never thought of it like that, but i know people roll there eyes at mechanics charging £35 an hour.but however good a job we do on manky gutters & difficult windows etc we're not gonna be classed as skilled as people who served a 4 yr apprenticeship
.... but @simon, a plumber chargers by the hour and they only do a 6 week apprenticeship. They have fewer overheads than we do and their equipment is less than ours. We have to master a number of skills, all they have to do is learn to push plastic pipe all the way into a plastic fitting.

They don't learn how to solder copper pipe and they don't know how to join their plastic pipe to lead pipe mains - after all, there is no such thing as leaded pipe any longer.

We are far better qualified than a newly qualified plumber is.

However, we are probably not in the league of electricians and Gas Safe (Corgi) registered gas fitters.

You are right spruce but a lot of people class window cleaners as casual workers they think you only need a bucket of mucky water and a ladder and away you go so they want their quote to reflect that,most custies dont have a clue of the outlay of a professional window cleaner,by the way that is not in any way a dig at the lads who do it trad and do a great job i am talking about the fly by night who wants to earn a quick buck then disappear off the face of the earth and his low quote sticks in the mind of the custie and they will base any future quotes on his quote and thats when you get the HOW MUCH i only used to pay£4.00 thats when i loose total interest and cant wait to say by by,

.... but @simon, a plumber chargers by the hour and they only do a 6 week apprenticeship. They have fewer overheads than we do and their equipment is less than ours. We have to master a number of skills, all they have to do is learn to push plastic pipe all the way into a plastic fitting.They don't learn how to solder copper pipe and they don't know how to join their plastic pipe to lead pipe mains - after all, there is no such thing as leaded pipe any longer.

We are far better qualified than a newly qualified plumber is.

However, we are probably not in the league of electricians and Gas Safe (Corgi) registered gas fitters.
my step sons in his first year at college for plumbing, if he dosnt get an apprenticeship he's at college for 3 years untill he's qualified so ok i was harking back to old days for 4 years but honest theres no plumbers just do 6 weeks or at least i hope not

As you haven't said what property type it is i typically start at £25.00 minimum as sometimes even the ones that don't look that bad can end up taking longer than you think .

What I do for one off cleans is quote as normal the x it by 3 and say it has to be that much because you put so much effort in to scrubbing the frames sills ect ect if there really bad I will even go up to x4 after all it's only a one off so doesn't really matter to me if I get it or not but if I do I will make sure it's on my terms !!

I used to charge double for one offs, then the penny dropped and I worked out they were taking longer than double if they were really mucky. Now I charge X3 which seems more realistic but no better an hourly rate than a maintenance clean. X4 would be a reasonable earner if the customer goes for it.

My problem with pricing one off cleans different to 1st time cleans is I hardly ever get asked for one offs been scammed a lot lately by people telling you they want a regular clean only to tell you to leave em after you've scrubbed all the cr@p off.

Just add £3 - £5 to your normal rate. When they see what a wonderful job you have done, they might go regular, or definitely call you back again.

Back