Charging the Battery

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by WinWiz, May 27, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. WinWiz

WinWiz Member

The prodigal son returns...

I'm trying to find a cheaper battery charger than the one from Halfords. It keeps breaking and I keep having to go back and get a replacement.
    I've seen this one on amazon.
    It looks more durable and it's a fifth of the price. Will it serve the same purpose?

I charge the batteries each night after I have worked a whole day.
    Pure freedom say that the Amazon one is a maintenance charger of half an amp and that the Halfords one is 3/4 of an amp. They said you can get one that's 7.5 amp - which will load the batteries quicker.
    I never run my batteries to their bitter end and the 3/4 ones I've been using seem to have been working fine. Do I really need a 7.5 one? If not, where can I get a more durable and affordable lower amp charger?

For the back story of my Pure Freedom system, feel free to have a look here:
    http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/why-leisure-batteries.11194/#post-156192

Advertisement
  2. keir

keir Guru

3. WinWiz

WinWiz Member

Thanks Keir
    Howcome the 3/4 amp one has been working so well all this time then?

4. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

5. keir

keir Guru

No they will do as you can testify, but they are a maintenance trickle charger. They just take a lot longer to charge. I suppose as long as you keep on top of it you'll be fine. I'm going off charging my bike battery and early experiences of charging my leisure battery.

I have whats called an optimate, its a bike charger for over winter when they are stored. I used this for a few months and found after a few months even though it was indicating fully charged, slowly but surely the leisure battery was depleting to the point where my pump stopped working. It just wasnt getting a full boll##ks charge which it needed

The optimate is 0.8 amps and when i used it, it used to get red hot. But on my bike battery it was luke warm.

But there,s a hell of difference from a bike battery to a leisure battery hence i got a big knock off charger for a big knock off battery lol

6. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

A Trickle Charger slowly charging overnight is the best way for a battery to receive a complete full charge.

Advertisement