Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Christmas Promotion

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ralf

Hi Guys, recently started part-time and was thinking a way of getting more business would be to run a promotion or special offer at Christmas as I have a spare couple of weeks. Was thinking along the lines of getting your first clean 50% off then full price on a 4 weekly cycle and maybe throw a pack of mince pies and a christmas card in aswell. Anyone done anything similar?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi @Ralf

Welcome to the forum.

I started in March with fliers offering first clean free and got nothing. Well one or two chancers maybe.

I'm chapping doors still and picking up business local to my town (new target zone) and managing fine

Don't feel you'd need any gimics as such,fb business page (advertise on buy and sell sites with it) and door chapping will get work. At your usual prices though.

What you could also focus on is gutter cleaning before Xmas is here, via fliers or door chapping. Since you have free time id hit the buy and sell sites for that twice a day

Don't mug yourself off with deals/prices is the advice I was given here.

for any window cleaner i think banging doors is the key. BUT i fail epic when it comes down to door knocking. ive knocked about 1000 doors in the past week and got 0 ZERO customers, just people who have a window cleaner who want you to go lower. i tell them where to go because i never undercut and i keep my prices high. today i went door knocking till it rained and managed about 130 doors, 60% were out, some said no, others said anything to get inside and get the door closed. best was ill wait for the wife to finish work then call you.

i started to offer my customers a deal. IF they get me 3 regular customers ill give them a free clean.

@4Weekly do you feel there is any different approach to the canvassing that would work for you? Try a few different personas etc

That's a lot of houses to knock with zero work from it. Can't be a good feeling mate.

This time of year can be hard to gain new work if they have gone all summer with out a window cleaner why bother now?

In about 2 weeks my phone will start going crazy with calls these will all be people wanting 1 offs in time for Christmas.

Any promotion now will attract these seasonal messers like moths to flame.

@4Weekly do you feel there is any different approach to the canvassing that would work for you? Try a few different personas etc
That's a lot of houses to knock with zero work from it. Can't be a good feeling mate.
its very demoralising especially when i hate banging doors in the first place. took years to pluck up the courage and grow a pair of balls to even knock a door. its like id get to the door and freeze. but now i done it so much its second nature now. you get the odd person swear at you. i had 4 people today tell me to f off they were doing something. when you have ZERO customers it destroys your confidence LOTS.

my script is Hi there im sorry to disturb you ( OR BOTHER YOU ) im in the area this week and i was wondering if you wanted to be on my window cleaning round. OR id say im the local window cleaner and was wondering if you needed a window cleaner. i mix it up.

Hi @Ralf
Welcome to the forum.

I started in March with fliers offering first clean free and got nothing. Well one or two chancers maybe.

I'm chapping doors still and picking up business local to my town (new target zone) and managing fine

Don't feel you'd need any gimics as such,fb business page (advertise on buy and sell sites with it) and door chapping will get work. At your usual prices though.

What you could also focus on is gutter cleaning before Xmas is here, via fliers or door chapping. Since you have free time id hit the buy and sell sites for that twice a day

Don't mug yourself off with deals/prices is the advice I was given here.
Hi Chris33 thanks very much that is very useful. I also dropped 500 leaflets last weekend and have had one response.

Will definitely start to have to do some door knocking just need to try and get a script sorted and will start soon.

Thank you very much!!

Right first off you are not sorry to bother them so don't lie,but honestly there's an element of truth in what I have just said too lol. And they will have heard that sorry to birher you nonsense at least twice that week!

Do not hand them that level of control at their own door either (yup you read that right). We are to have full confidence and not too cocky but sure in ourself completely.

Try, I do a lot of houses in this area..yeah have great reviews on fb or similar, do all the frames and am a fully licenced business. Then tell them what you do at the end. And smile, smiling is connecting!

Or point to a ransom house, yeah I do that one regularly too.

Be positive, always bounce upto that door like you have it before you do.

Change what you wear to canvass.

Keep it casual,non robot like and natural...therefore there is no total script.

Just some of my own things that work mate,but with the amount of houses you have chapped the odds should be better .

Hi Chris33 thanks very much that is very useful. I also dropped 500 leaflets last weekend and have had one response.
Will definitely start to have to do some door knocking just need to try and get a script sorted and will start soon.

Thank you very much!!
the first door feels like someone is going to open it with a chainsaw and chop of ya head lol BUT its not that bad. i started off with older people in an area that was oaps to boost my confidence and most the time its women who answer for me. im just pants at it.

@Ralf chap at the back of those houses you done the flier on. You'd be surprised how many meant to phone you etc.

So day 1 drop,day 2 drop, day 3 chap day 1s drop, day 4 chap day 4s drop etc

@Ralf chap at the back of those houses you done the flier on. You'd be surprised how many meant to phone you etc.
So day 1 drop,day 2 drop, day 3 chap day 1s drop, day 4 chap day 4s drop etc
Awesome Chris33 that's great.

Think it would be a good idea going round a week later and saying something like " I dropped a flyer through here the other day and was wondering if you would like the service?" Or something along them lines

Cheers!

Aye that idea Ralf,it'd not bother unless you have time mind. As door chapping alone is king!

But gives them time to think I guess.

Mix up how you speak with them ..keeps you engaged/focused in what could be a long night and also less robotic.

Make it clear you work the area though. And also big up your business, you only have one shot at that before the door closes so go hard!

Mine is hi my names mike im doing work in the area this week and was wondering if you were looking for a window cleaner. Keep it short and to the point. You'll either get a yes, a we already have one or a no. If you get the last one I say, "no problems thank you for your time, here's a leaflet for if you ever change your mind". If they have one, I ask if he does many round here, then give them a leaflet saying " just in case he stops coming round". If its a yes then I quote. Its all about confidence.

Never let money be a selling point to get a customer. don't do cheap and don't do offers because all you will attract is price shoppers. marketting this way is making price the selling point. you want to sell value for money. people don't want the cheapest they want value. you are insured, you clean on time, you offer a free re clean guarantee etc

My Christmas promotion is to do nothing.

I stopped canvassing and posting flyers beginning of November. Won't start again until new year.

Still getting customers from other streams, web site, walk ups, recommendations, but I feel people in general have minds on one thing this time of year. Save those doors for the new year and success rate will be much higher.

The one offs will crawl out of the woodwork mid December demanding you clean their windows that day with promises of needing a regular cleaner.

That's a good point,even if picking up some this time of the year it'd be more likely to get more success in these areas after Xmas

But if you need work/money I'd get moving anyway

Im going to get this on a rubber stamp as it's tiring repeating it.

CHARGE A FIRST CLEAN PREMIUM

That way regardless of what they promise you got paid for your effort so if they dont have you back.....oh well... ho hum..... onto the next job.

for any window cleaner i think banging doors is the key. BUT i fail epic when it comes down to door knocking. ive knocked about 1000 doors in the past week and got 0 ZERO customers, just people who have a window cleaner who want you to go lower. i tell them where to go because i never undercut and i keep my prices high. today i went door knocking till it rained and managed about 130 doors, 60% were out, some said no, others said anything to get inside and get the door closed. best was ill wait for the wife to finish work then call you.
i started to offer my customers a deal. IF they get me 3 regular customers ill give them a free clean.
i would never tell a potential customer were to go

a end of the day u cant knock them for trying

all u need to say is thank you for your time but my price is xxx for your home and give them a cardddddddddddddddddddddif they change there

Im going to get this on a rubber stamp as it's tiring repeating it.
CHARGE A FIRST CLEAN PREMIUM

That way regardless of what they promise you got paid for your effort so if they dont have you back.....oh well... ho hum..... onto the next job.
i used to do this, min clean for first one was £30 to cover anything that was cancelled after the first clean, id get ppl say 4 weekly and id say a tenner then they would cancel. so now its 30 quid.

Back