Clarke CBM240E booster pump fittings help please

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by jason1965, Jul 3, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jason1965

jason1965 Member

I have just bought one of these booster pumps today Clarke CBM240E 1" Multi Stage 230V Booster Pump, i really need some advice on fittings, it has 1" inlets and outlets, as i would like to connect this between my pre filters and the 4040 membrane, which have standard hose pipe and hoselock connecters and i think the hose pipe is 15mm, i was wondering how to reduce the size, and it says on the instructions if you reduce the inlet to much it will affect performance, and may defeat the objective, So please could anyone help, and if you have used one of these how did you set it up, and if you did reduce the size to standard hosepipe fittings has it worked okay. Many thanks.

Advertisement
  2. jason1965

jason1965 Member

Hello Spruce did it affect performance at all reducing the inlet from 1" to 1/2 inch.

3. jason1965

jason1965 Member

And are these all metal fittings or plastic, Spruce just asking because of tds

4. jason1965

jason1965 Member

I have just looked at the inlet and outlet and it looks more like 1 1/2 " im confuesed

5. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Providing you have a pretty good flow at the tap then I don't believe you will have much of a problem.

Working under perfect conditions the specs say a 4040 will produce 6 lpm of pure. If you have a 50 50 pure to waste ratio then you will use 12 lpm of water. Our garden tap produced 13 lpm at 40 psi. The water board has since raised the pressure by 10 psi so that flow will be up a bit from 13 lpm. I think I read somewhere that 15 lpm was the idea flow rate from the tap when connecting a booster pump to a 4040 r/o.

Those fittings are plastic and are the ones Alex advised another poster a couple of years ago.
    You can change the reducer to 1" male to 1/2" female brass reducer and order a brass 1/2" male hose tail with 1/2" male hose barb.

This pump will deliver up to 101 lpm. If you want an output volume of around this then you can't use a 1" to 1/2" reducer, as you will never achieve a flow of that much water through a 1/2" pipe.

I found a spec on the booster that you ordered. It has a max pressure of 8 bar so you may need to consider some high pressure 1/2" hose from the pump to the r/o inlet. (8 bar is 112 psi.)

The tds of the tap water will make no difference to the plastic fittings. Its the pressure that's the deciding factor.

The specs say its 1". The parts manual says its 1" so I presume its 1". If you are measuring the diamt of the inlet and outlet then it is bigger than 1". The experts tell us that its 1.309".

-

6. jason1965

jason1965 Member

Thanks Spruce for all you time and research. very very helpful. i will go to pluming supplies tomorrow.

7. camcap

camcap Active Member

Did you get this up and running if so how's it going as looking like I need a booster pump

8. jason1965

jason1965 Member

Hello Cam yes it up and running and very very good, if you check hear over the weekend i will put up all the stats, and how i fitted it and hopefully a few pics.

9. jason1965

jason1965 Member

Good afternoon all, test result and set up of my booster pump, i hope this helps, i am not saying i have done this perfect, but its working and that all i wanted, to produce pure water quicker.

First of all i will talk about the set up, i have a friend who is an industrial pipe fitter, and i ask for his advice about setting this up.

The first thing he said was the pump will only work to its maximum if it is get enough water, and the second thing he said was any leakage from fittings will also affect performance and the third thing he said was try not to reduce the inlet pipe bye more than 1 size down so here is what i did after my friends advice.

The outlet and inlet on the pump is 1" female thread, i have positioned the pump between my 20" carbon filter and the 4040 ro, luckily for me, the fitting for the 20" housing is a 3/4 female thread, so i bought a 3/4" male x 3/4 hose tail, and that was connected to the 20" carbon filter outlet housing, the fitting to connect to the pump strainer is a 1" male thread x 3/4" hose tail, so now i had the fitting for the water feed, ptfe tape and jubilee clips x 2 3/4 ", the hose i have used is 3/4 " reinforced hose, i didnt really need the hose to be reinforced, but as i had to buy it in metre lengths, i got 3 metres 25 bar rating. The fitting from the outlet is again 1"male x 3/4 hose tail and now it changes i will explain later, i got a 1/2" female threaded T connector the feed from the pump is a 1/2" male x 3/4 hose tail, so i connected the 1/2" male thread to the bottom of the T connector, and again and this was IMPORTANT connected the 3/4" reinforced hose between the two again with jubilee clips and ptfe tape. The t piece of the fitting, i got a 1/2" x 1/4" male thread reducer, and this is for the pressure gauge The top of the t connector i use 1/2 male x 1/2 hose tail and the outlet from the ro is a STRIGHT 1/2" male x 1/2 hose tail, my friend advised me if possible try not to use angled connecters for the 1/2" fittings from the pump outlet to the ro, the less bends you have the better the flow from pump to ro. The hose i have used from the top of the t connector is 1/2 high pressure hose 15 bar rated, and it dose not go straight up to the ro it has a curve to help the flow, as you will see in the photos i will put up, i was strongly advised not to use 1/2 hose from the top of the pump outlet because i would of been reducing the size from a 1" outlet to a 1/2 " hose, so i did what i said above, it went from 1" outlet to 3/4" hose then reduced the hose size after the t connector.

I did try using a 3/4" x 1/2" reducer in the ro fitting and using 3/4 high pressure hose from the top of the pump outlet to the ro, but it kept on leaking, my friend said its because the inlet is only 1/2" and the water is being pumped through a 3/4" hose. so as i stated above, i used high pressure 1/2" hose.

Just a couple of quick tips and this is my experience not my opinion, try and use as many plastic/nylon fittings as possible, try not to cross match brass/zinc plated and plastic fittings together if possible, i only had to do this with the t connector because i could not find locally a female plastic/nylon fitting. and the second tip is use brand new fittings, the plastic/nylon fittings can loose there threads very easily and with that amount of pressure they WILL leak, well that was my experience. ha ha.

The best place i found to get nearly all the fittings was my local garden center, i was lucky, i have 2/3 places that do a lot of pond stuff, Jacuzzi and aquarium fittings, they will generally have everything you need.

I really hope this helps and saves someone some time.

Now for the performance test and results

my tap tds is 280

Normal tap pressure 40-45 psi after ro 15ppm, waste to pure production 3/1 1 litre of pure per minute
    Booter pump 95-100psi after ro 8ppm, waste to pure production 1 1/2 /1 2 1/2 litres of pure per minute.

These are not exact figures but roughly what i am getting, i have tried to do this today, but stupid me, the misses is cleaning, and the kids are messing about playing in the garden with water, YES i have shouted twice at them already. And i am not to sure with it being Sunday and other people using taps baths washing machines etc etc whether that would make a difference, but its still over double production even on a Sunday. and i am quite sure it would be even better daytime in the week, when everyones at work. hear are some photos sorry about quality. one is the set up, and the other two are psi pressures without booster and with booster pump

Attached Files:

Advertisement