Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof cleaning/ tile colours

joe34

Hi I've cleaned a few roofs now with  soft washing  and I've had great results. The pictures below are samples I've done for potential customers as you can see on both times the tiles have come up two different colours can  anyone tell me why this is? The other roofs I've done were clay smooth tiles and they came up brilliant. Any advise would be great thank you. 

View attachment 10641

20170515_125254.jpg

That could be the tiles original colour. Looking at the untreated tile to the right you can just see the light colour underneath the top dirt..

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Bottom pic i reckon the 2 darker tiles are replacements..

Will find a pic similar and post it to show you.. neighbour assured me that was the tile colour when she bought the house in the late 50s.

52fe497533957728f14a17a7265ada92.jpg

Before
b968fcfd91a87149ee1a98dacbc9769d.jpg

After

Just out of curiosity what was the mix strength of your sample

That top pic both tiles have been treated with the same amount of hypo? I use 1-4 mix .Roof looks good mate

Can only be tile colour then. If both tiles are made from the same substrate then surely it can only be colour..
Bottom pic the darker tiles are different tile. They're larger to tie the other tiles in..
Ask the custy if they remember the tiles when new (if they pensioners)
Sure ive seen roofs with odd second colour tiles back in the 80s.
Could it be cos we never see them anymore we've all completely forgot about them.
You could be about to set a trend off again..

Or on the other hand. Might be the odd tile reacting somehow with the chems.
But i very much doubt it.

Keep us posted on that Joe

The tiles are concrete. They would originally have had a protective pigment type coating on them in usually a slate gray or terracotta color. 

The pigment failed and died many years back. The reason most roofs in the uk are that color is because they got 60 years of shite on them.

The sandy beige color is basically a naked tile. You could apply a colored protective pigment with an airless sprayer if you wanted to just add that final touch. 

How much did you charge? And where abouts are you? 

Thanks for the info, can hypo strip the pigment off those concrete tiles? I've done a few roofs with smooth tiles (clay) and they have cleaned up really well. I didn't get the job in the end I quoted 1200 and she knocked me down to a 1000. But then she had a company go in cheaper and they painted the tiles too. That job was near Stansted airport 

Back