Cleaning Frames Using A Pole

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by geckofly, Dec 31, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. geckofly

geckofly Guest

I plan to start cleaning windows in the next few weeks , so very new at this !
    I would like to use a pole a 5M harris pole for cleaning first floor windows rather than ladders, and am going to try with a wagtail.
    it seemes to me that making sure the frames are clean would be a big part of keeping customers happy!
    so my question is , what would people recomend as a sequence for cleanning frames and glass
    would you use a brush first to clean the frames
    would you mop the frames first ,or just use a damp microcloth
    what would best way of fixing a cloth to the pole be for cleaning the frames
    Ive seen videos of people wrapping cloths around 6" squeegee or using cloth on pole top
    for detailing , but what would be best for frames?

would be great to hear some advice
    and this is a fab Forum !!

I

Advertisement
  2. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Whilst I don't disagree with doing it that way, it works for many windies in fact but I can't see anyone doing first cleans this way. Some I've done would have taken a month of sundays to get all the dirt off the frames this way, you really need to get up there and get that dirt off the frames if you're planning on doing them and after that do it with the harris.

Just my opinion and I'm sure there'll be different one's.

3. jimbob

jimbob Well-Known Member

youll probally have to get up there on a ladder for most first cleans It can be done with just using a pole but youll find it difficult on some properties and have to turn jobs down. is there a particular reason you don't want to use ladders ?

4. You need to use ladders on first cleans its a must .

Unless your going wfp .

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

If you are not so keen on using ladders then maybe consider wfp for tops to start of with instead as you may find trad pole work can be very difficult to master.

6. stevelewis

stevelewis Forum Addict

same as others i use ladders for 1st cleans and access if needed but after that pole and wagtail with a cloth attached to one side for detailing and one the othe side to give frames a quick wipe over, works well and i find quicker than ladders and less risky, hope this helps mate

ive got the 5m harris decorators pole aswell bargain for £15 bet more windys use that pole than actual decorators lol

7. Squeak and Bubbles

I have seen loads using them. If they work, and cheap, why not use them. Great idea, personally I don't use one.

8. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Thought about replying here before everyone else but then thought see what other poeple say.

Basiclly everyone here is right, if your gonna clean windows, first cleans would be better to clean on a ladder and you can clean frames too, frames dont need cleaning that often.

After that you can use a pole.

9. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

I not sure how you would clean leaded windows(upstairs) with a pole though....

10. jimbob

jimbob Well-Known Member

I was just thiking that might have to use one of them internal cleaning kits the ones with the pad and microfiber cloths

Advertisement