Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Guttervacs & awkward badly blocked downspouts/sods

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use a 10m combi ladder but the reach once set as a normal ladder is 7.2 m max so should just about reach ok.

Regarding resting a ladder with or without a standoff fitted I would never attempt to rest it on wood/plastic fascias etc anymore as the structure could and does give way as frank found out.

That is the reason why I want a decent corner standoff so can put the ladder on the corner of the brick walls safely then should be just about doable from there.

Even though I will be using an ankalad to stabilise the ladder too I will also drill two holes in the chap’s wall and then using eyebolts strap the ladder to the wall. That then means I can use my vertical life line and harness... Not forgetting me hard hat

He don't know yet about the holes I will need to drill in his walls but that is the only way that job is going to get done by me using a ladder. /emoticons/biggrin.png

[media]

[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like those videos smurf. I've been looking for one like that with the roof ladder for ages....

Does he tie the roof ladder to the standoff? I always used to throw the safety line right over the house....

I've had one before above a conservatory where I couldnt do the last foot, and I don't have a gutter vac. I just used my optilock pole with the angle arm bent at an acute goose neck angle, and flecked it all out from the ground. Wont help you with the downspout though so maybe head out and get some pvc pipe. Cut it at a sharp angle and use a heat gun to make a pointy attachment that you can stab into the hole to break it up, If you bent it at the tip you might even be able to make a barb that can hoook the roots out in one go. Just a thought.

I used me gopro on a stripped down wfp to take a vid. Then from that saved some of the frames as pics.

Like you say another way is to errect a tower but seems to much hassle for me to hire one then set it up and take it down just for a 5 min job on that

I think the only way to complete that job is to get up there. Can you rest your ladder (without standoff) against the bottom of the barge board, climb up, dismantle the dog leg and possibly the end section of gutter, take down and clean?I also have a set up that allows me to vacuum gutters from the top of a ladder if necessary which can be very useful for blocked downspouts

Or use your ladder in step ladder mode (as pic) deploying your ankalad for stability? Not perfect and you need to take care, I know, but completes the job.:whew: There is nothing worse than not being able to complete a job.

Good high level pics by the way - what set up are you using?

View attachment 6649

Failing that I have used a quick erect scaffold tower as long as the job pays!

OR if the fee is really good............/emoticons/biggrin.png:D:D

View attachment 6650

The chap in the vid on the roof you will see him when putting the roof ladder up use a wrachet strap to tie the roof ladder to the standoff (5:47 in)

I like those videos smurf. I've been looking for one like that with the roof ladder for ages....
Does he tie the roof ladder to the standoff? I always used to throw the safety line right over the house....

I've used a simular method like that before with great success but was half round not square line guttering. Also the thing is you can't put too much pressure on the end section of the guttering as I found out using my hook to try breaking it up so to be honest I gave up trying as it was a very windy day.

I've had one before above a conservatory where I couldnt do the last foot, and I don't have a gutter vac. I just used my optilock pole with the angle arm bent at an acute goose neck angle, and flecked it all out from the ground. Wont help you with the downspout though so maybe head out and get some pvc pipe. Cut it at a sharp angle and use a heat gun to make a pointy attachment that you can stab into the hole to break it up, If you bent it at the tip you might even be able to make a barb that can hoook the roots out in one go. Just a thought.

Back