Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning vents waterfed pole

Chris33

I want to make sure I make no mistakes when finally transferring to pole, I am doing that this very minute. Finally.

Hear mixed things about cleaning vents on first clean or not, for those of you that do; does the water often get in the house and any tips on how you set out a first clean inc vents would be helpful. Do you inform customers to close vents, do you inform them by letter?

When the vent is clear I assume it will run clean rather than dirty water, do you then rub it with the dry brush head and rinse glass?

ANY help or ideas appreciated.

Chris

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Vents have never been a problem for me.

Ensure you give the top of the frame & vent a thorough clean & rinse first time and let the dirt run out as you say once clean water runs out you can assume the vent is pretty clear of dirt. If you're concerned about it go to the next window & then come back to finish off. For maintenance cleans I clean the top of the frame & vent every time.

Unless you actually spray the jet of water from your WFP into the vent itself the water will not get inside. So no need to ask the customer to close vents.

The best is to ask the customer to close the vents beforehand. If they havent closed them i would clean them anyway or youll be left with streaks. As with anything else fulfill your end of the deal and let them worry about the vents being closed.
First, spray water up in to the vent. All sorts of mucky bits and brown water will fly out. Then run brush bristles in to them if you can. Spray again until it runs clear, (can take a lot of water)
Clean rest of window, spray just below vent one last time where it meets the frame,
Rinse,
Done.
The more water the better. Vents are a swine. Only need to do this process on first cleans. A quick spray on every consecutive clean is all that will be necessary thereafter if anything at all

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

They're a whole lot of trouble that you can't avoid. It is best if they are closed, especially any above ground floor, because if the jets are pointing slightly up there is a good chance water will get inside. 

First wash just rinse the hell out of them, then if you can wrap a cloth round the brush try and dry underneath. 

Oh and be careful. They are generally fitted quite loose and can come off so cinderella the whole process

The best is to ask the customer to close the vents beforehand. If they havent closed them i would clean them anyway or youll be left with streaks. As with anything else fulfill your end of the deal and let them worry about the vents being closed.
First, spray water up in to the vent. All sorts of mucky bits and brown water will fly out. Then run brush bristles in to them if you can. Spray again until it runs clear, (can take a lot of water)
Clean rest of window, spray just below vent one last time where it meets the frame,
Rinse,
Done.
The more water the better. Vents are a swine. Only need to do this process on first cleans. A quick spray on every consecutive clean is all that will be necessary thereafter if anything at all

Incheck
Do you still apply the same method if your swapping over from trad to wfp or strictly for 1st cleans?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yes definitely. In my opinion trad is never as effective as wfp when it comes to UPVC work (frames, vents, sills) . As trad man has previously shown in a video cleaning a conny, the brush bristles and water flow on first cleans, can reach gaps and crevices/creases, that you simply wouldnt be able to do by hand.

I use a dish brush on the vents when I do a first clean - I’ve found if you don’t get up close and personal they drip dirty water out long after your gone, I also find squishing a magic sponge up inside gets a lot of the muck out.
I agree 100% with incheck - treat them carefully, especially on new builds I’m finding. I’ve replaced half a dozen on one estate as they were fitted with the wrong screws and snapped off with just the slightest touch of the wfp; and the same with older ones as they become brittle

I thought you went wfp ages ago...

Never had a problem with water going in, no o es ever said anything.

Only clean them on first cleans, on maintenance just use a microfibre if dirty.

Be carefully not to break them.

Avoid them like the plague wherever possible and you can't go wrong.

No never said I was either...

I have all the kit and had backpack for ages tho, just haven't converted my full round as yet

Rinse,
Done.

Mate do you mean a quick spray inside the vents on further cleans or around them?

Sod that just clean the vent while scrubbing the frame witj the bristles flat on the frame

Don't go blasting water inside the vent

No need as the outside will be clean which is all you can see

I don't get any problem with spots or streaks and i can go over them each time if the top frame needs a good scrub with no issues

Why make it harder on yourself 

Sod that just clean the vent while scrubbing the frame witj the bristles flat on the frame
Don't go blasting water inside the vent
No need as the outside will be clean which is all you can see
I don't get any problem with spots or streaks and i can go over them each time if the top frame needs a good scrub with no issues
Why make it harder on yourself 
Dave cos I am concerned that if they won't rinsed clean there is a risk that water coming from upper frame can drip through the vent and onto the window. The vents up here are clipped on so surely water can get from above to below them..

I also noticed the water seems to hang over the edges of the vents and if inside vents are dirty I thought this could lead to steaks

I blast the dirt out on first cleans to be really thorough. Then just a decent rinse from the top of the frame on the following regular cleans.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock