Cleaning These Smallish Windows- Best Way?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by buzzing, Oct 2, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. buzzing

buzzing Active Member

I was cleaning these smallish windows today and they have a metal frame thingee separating each pane of glass. It is quite sharp- could it damage my squeegee? I was using a small six inch squeegee. i would use the applicator and then wash four panes then use the small squeegee to wipe downwards twice then a microfibre cloth to detail and dry off any bits the squeegee hadn't taken care of, is this the right way?

This was my second job and the whole house (bungalow) took me 2 hrs, i asked for £15 but she paid me £20 and wants me back, but I thought I would earn more than this, am I pricing wrong?

Also the frames and sills were filthy, with spiders and their nests etc and webs, is it the case of using a 50cm by 25cm towel to clean all that? Any spiders in the Uk that bite lol?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Thats a leaded window.
    A good idea if your squeegee can fit inside the squares then use that.

Any other leaded window in different pattens best not use a squeegee as it can nick the rubber.

3. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

On a large leaded like that I would just soap it all up, then use my 12 or 14 inch to do straight pulls then clean up with a scrim. Or you could just scrum the lot is its not that dirty

It will just take time starting mate til you find your rhythm then you will learn your work and how is the best to do each house

4. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

Ignore the leaded bits and do it as normal then use a scrim to tidy up what blading didnt get. Use sill cloth to get frame clean first. Ive never been bitten by a spider yet....

5. Dodger

Dodger Hero

lol was never a spider lover myself but I've learned to get used to em now, I've had a few cleans where they were crawling all over me. No not been bitten though :D

6. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

I had a fear of spiders! well still do if I see huge ones!

Like Dodger, I have got used to them as theres been plenty around cause of summer.

7. bvwcs

bvwcs Member

Dont use your blade, it will damage the rubber in no time. Just use scrim

8. rshorland

rshorland Member

As regards the price, first cleans always take longer, it all depends how many windows the customer has. a price of roughly £1 per window is usuallly a good price. The customer clearly is happy with the price so she might well prove to be a regular customer for you :)

9. Gray1

Gray1 Newcomer

They used to sell lead tape, that you stuck on to the windows. (DIY Regency). On the left window a strip can be seen peeling. Bring it to your customers attention next time you go.
    All the best.

Gray1

10. buzzing

buzzing Active Member

scrim is a micro fibre cloth? So just use applicator to clean all of the window in one go then use the scrim to polish clean up the windows? How long does this take?

Advertisement