Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help please!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

nahh, you can get them all over the place, eBay too. just need to makes sure you buy the right size. its useful to have a few spare and some hose mender sections in the van for running repairs.

From Gardiners?

nahh, you can get them all over the place, eBay too. just need to makes sure you buy the right size. its useful to have a few spare and some hose mender sections in the van for running repairs.

I prefer the Gardiner single ear ones although I also have a selection of double eared ones as well. They have an inner band/ring which clamps completely around the hose where the double ear ones don't quite do that and can leak at the crimped ears.

And yes, the single eared ones are more expensive because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the Gardiner single ear ones although I also have a selection of double eared ones as well. They have an inner trim section/ring (can't think of a better word) which clamps completely around the hose where the double ear ones don't quite do that and can leak at the crimped ears.

And yes, the single eared ones are more expensive because of that.
But still only 46p + vat. 

I think my pole hose is 6mm so would the 7.5 -8.5mm inner O ring suffice? 

Most of the pole hose Gardiners supply is 5mm ID and 8mm OD (there are variants though)

I would imagine that the 7.5 -8.5mm will accommodate the slight enlargement of the hose once the hose is pushed over the 8mm stem to 5mm barb hose fitting.

I would certainly buy a few of them. However, to be sure, its easy to email Gardiners and they will respond with the correct size. You might be able to get a few double eared clamps and a crimper at a DIY store over the weekend. Someone said that B&Q sell the double eared units but I have never looked or seen them in there.

Most of the pole hose Gardiners supply is 5mm ID and 8mm OD (there are variants though)

I would imagine that the 7.5 -8.5mm will accommodate the slight enlargement of the hose once the hose is pushed over the 8mm stem to 5mm barb hose fitting.

I would certainly buy a few of them. However, to be sure, its easy to email Gardiners and they will respond with the correct size. You might be able to get a few double eared clamps and a crimper at a DIY store over the weekend. Someone said that B&Q sell the double eared units but I have never looked or seen them in there.
Thanks very much Spruce..

Always first class advice.

Perhaps it's the hose on my reel that I registered 6mm. 

Would go and check but I am only just defrosting from the day  :1f609:

I will definitely order up some spare ones as u suggest prob along with a pump so can increase my water pressure.

May I just check with you Spruce?

If your water pressure is low like mine so only dribbling very slowly pure and my waste water is probably at 10 times the pure. 

Will that damage my membranes quicker as not enough pressure pushing through?

I have the old RO man style if you remember ?

Warm regards 

They sell them in my b@q where all the reels of hose and chain is that you buy per metre

Thanks very much Spruce..

Always first class advice.

Perhaps it's the hose on my reel that I registered 6mm. 

Would go and check but I am only just defrosting from the day  :1f609:

I will definitely order up some spare ones as u suggest prob along with a pump so can increase my water pressure.

May I just check with you Spruce?

If your water pressure is low like mine so only dribbling very slowly pure and my waste water is probably at 10 times the pure. 

Will that damage my membranes quicker as not enough pressure pushing through?

I have the old RO man style if you remember ?

Warm regards 

Having low water pressure won't help your cause. It won't damage your membranes but it won't help them work efficiently either.

You need to identify why you have such a poor water pressure. Is it the same in the rest of the house? Is the shutoff valve in the kitchen fully open if the rest of the house is the same? What about the stop valve in the street? Do your next door neighbours also have a water pressure problem?

It could well be that you will have to go with a booster pump, but you can fit a different waste tap (I can't remember what tap you had - brains a sinkhole at the moment) so you can close down the waste outgoings at little more to get a better ratio.

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/1-4-fittings/a-push-fit-in-line-valve.html

I know these aren't as nice looking but they work well;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-GATE-VALVE-BSPT-SIZES-FROM-1-4-TO-4-RATED-TO-PN20/111513070867?var=410505788784&hash=item19f6b26d13:m:mZIcaXBBfUqQJysHCGntEyw

along with a couple of these

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/1-4-fittings/john-guest-a-push-in-fitting-to-a-male-screw-thread.html

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you can buy the single lug ones from any good hose repair place if they dont carry them they will order them in for you most will have the double lug ones on the shelf there penny's to buy 

i would just cut that straight off no point in trying to save 2 cm of hose and risk cutting your finger too bits , two pair of pliers , one to hold the fitting and hose  and the other to  twist the lug each way a few times just done   

Last edited by a moderator:
Having low water pressure won't help your cause. It won't damage your membranes but it won't help them work efficiently either.

You need to identify why you have such a poor water pressure. Is it the same in the rest of the house? Is the shutoff valve in the kitchen fully open if the rest of the house is the same? What about the stop valve in the street? Do your next door neighbours also have a water pressure problem?

It could well be that you will have to go with a booster pump, but you can fit a different waste tap (I can't remember what tap you had - brains a sinkhole at the moment) so you can close down the waste outgoings at little more to get a better ratio.

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/1-4-fittings/a-push-fit-in-line-valve.html

I know these aren't as nice looking but they work well;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-GATE-VALVE-BSPT-SIZES-FROM-1-4-TO-4-RATED-TO-PN20/111513070867?var=410505788784&hash=item19f6b26d13:m:mZIcaXBBfUqQJysHCGntEyw

along with a couple of these

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/1-4-fittings/john-guest-a-push-in-fitting-to-a-male-screw-thread.html

Yes Spruce my neighbours also have low water pressure. 

My neighbour said that his washing machine failed due to lack of pressure when we were home using water also.

The stop valve is located in the middle of a large garden all.

The stop valve tap just rotates freely which means it's broken inside. 

The broken components inside could be impeding he flow of water.

The problems is the supply comes across fields and is a private pipe so the water board say it's not their responsibility.

Our pressure has gradually been dropping for some weeks. 

We had very very good pressure before.

The owners are dragging their feet over several issues. It's a catch 22 situation presently. 

Thabks for the links and advice 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you can buy the single lug ones from any good hose repair place if they dont carry them they will order them in for you most will have the double lug ones on the shelf there penny's to buy 

i would just cut that straight off no point in trying to save 2 cm of hose and risk cutting your finger too bits , two pair of pliers , one to hold the fitting and hose  and the other to  twist the lug each way a few times just done   
Thanks Julian for reply.

The photo I took was just to illustrate the clip and what I can remove it with.

The actual hole in my pole hose is at the bottom of the SLX 25 Pole (when it's not extended) where it bends back on itself. 

So I was planning to cut hose just below the hole and reconnect to what I now know is o clip etc at top of inside the pole.

I'll just snip it off with some wire cutters. 

Thanks 

Yes Spruce my neighbours also have low water pressure. 

My neighbour said that his washing machine failed due to lack of pressure when we were home using water also.

The stop valve is located in the middle of a large garden all.

The stop valve tap just rotates freely which means it's broken inside. 

The broken components inside could be impeding he flow of water.

The problems is the supply comes across fields and is a private pipe so the water board say it's not their responsibility.

Our pressure has gradually been dropping for some weeks. 

We had very very good pressure before.

The owners are dragging their feet over several issues. It's a catch 22 situation presently. 

Thabks for the links and advice 
Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I would be inclined to get the neighbours together and call out a plumber to replace the tap and share the costs.

In the worst case senario they will freeze the pipe and the water in it on the supply side of the tap, replace the tap and let it thaw out to restore supply.

Thanks Julian for reply.

The photo I took was just to illustrate the clip and what I can remove it with.

The actual hole in my pole hose is at the bottom of the SLX 25 Pole (when it's not extended) where it bends back on itself. 

So I was planning to cut hose just below the hole and reconnect to what I now know is o clip etc at top of inside the pole.

I'll just snip it off with some wire cutters. 

Thanks 
If you need to get going again and don't have the clamps cut 3 or 4 inches off the top of the hose and wrap electrical tape around the hole in the hose which will then be up inside the pole.

If you need to get going again and don't have the clamps cut 3 or 4 inches off the top of the hose and wrap electrical tape around the hole in the hose which will then be up inside the pole.
Hi 1576

I can see what you mean about wrapping some insulation tape over the hole but not sure why I need to cut off 3-4 inches off top of hose? 

Thanks mate

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I would be inclined to get the neighbours together and call out a plumber to replace the tap and share the costs.

In the worst case senario they will freeze the pipe and the water in it on the supply side of the tap, replace the tap and let it thaw out to restore supply.

You are probably right Spruce - The thing is that 2 of the 6 cottages are empty and a third is a lady who is rarely here..( owns a place elsewhere)

That leaves 2 others who I can't see ever digging into their own pockets....

Back