Clearing gutters in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by Smurf, Feb 1, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Went out to do a bit today and my goodness was that cold. The wind was whipping up too so felt like -5

Before I leave for a job in cold weather I tend to check the temp which was about 1c in my back garden this morning. Then I reach into my conservatory gutter to see if the standing water is frozen or not. Doing so gives me a good indication if the jobs I'm going to do are also going to be frozen or not.

Is it just me or do you guys do something similar?

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

tother week i got up ladder to find gutter was frozzen solid. customer down below says , hold on i can get you a kettle of hot water

no,no, no ! i can do it another time...

jus hang on mate,, let me get you some tools

reluctantly cleand out his gutter using an old file minus handle

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Gutter cleaning is for the summer lol wouldn't entertain it in the winter, nobody where i come from asks for it until summer anyway, which i thought was common practice

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I bet you were not a happy bunny when he insisted to help you with some hot water and tools :rolleyes:

I've found It certainly can make the job so much harder/longer to do when gutters a frozen solid depending how much crud is up there. You also can’t use a guttervac when the gutters are frozen solid either as I've found out on more than one occasion too.

5. kev

kev Well-Known Member

How do i create my own post on here, i wrote a big page earlier about the best wfp system to start off with for beginners and it seems to have disappeared

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I do gutter clearing jobs all year round

7. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I have done a few gutters lately
    Not as many as autumn when the leaves fall but enough to keep the extra cash coming in
    Had a few gutter clean inside and our inc fascia jobs the last couple of weeks
    Tends to be people who then get me to email invoice for their landlords rather than homeowners

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Go into your messages and copy the message you sent me and post it in the forum instead might help.

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

And one very lucrative one with ivy all over one end of the fascia (first floor extension)and then 2nd floor clean plus front
    Spray with flash/water leave to stand
    Scrape with wide scraper
    Wipe
    Job done but charge high

10. kev

kev Well-Known Member

I am talking about regular customers though who i have had for years, i rarely get random people asking me to do theirs

Advertisement