Climbing on roofs

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by adamangler, Jul 22, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

When u first started cleanin windows I took this job on and used a ladder to get on the roofs and walk about (for all the top windows you can just about make out) well I got asked to do it again today and I had forgotten about the access issues. So I simply didn't do them claiming health and safety.

Just wondered if anyone would climb up here?

Wanted the money before but now seems too much hassle it's underpriced anyway 20160722_100153.jpg 20160722_100012.jpg 20160722_095951.jpg

Advertisement
  2. Derbyshirecleaning

I personally don't as my insurance won't cover me for it, plus if I fall through the roof I damage myself and the roof. I just tell people that and that I could damage the roof walking on it and most people understand. It's not worth it risking it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. HALTON

HALTON Well-Known Member

That's a good point about insurance any one know if gleaming covers walking on flat roofs for access?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

4. tobyswindowcleaning

I was a roofing labourer so I know if a roof is in good shape or not. I still go on them if they're in a bad way anyway

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Chris Dall

Chris Dall Active Member

I don't think the working at height regs include access, seeing as you're not working from the ladder but using it for access to a flat roof.

6. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

#6 Marko067, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    I've had a number of flat roofs go under me in my forty years in this trade. On the last one there was absolutely no warning. Roof felt solid as a rock when I walked to the far end of the job and on the way back I just went straight through it. Left a hole the size of a bucket. Fortunately I wasn't injured, just a little shook up. The boards under it were left exposed and were completely rotted. After that I always asked any new customers with flat roofs to put scaffold boards on the roof to spread the weight, otherwise I wouldn't get up there. At the moment I can reach over all my flat roof jobs with my 25ft Carbon pole

7. HALTON

HALTON Well-Known Member

Did insurance pay out ?

8. Marko067

Marko067 Well-Known Member

#8 Marko067, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    On that last one I was fortunate in that the roof was quite old and the customer had planned to redo it anyway so although he did talk about making a claim from my insurance, he never did. The earlier ones I felt going soft and warned the customers that I wouldn't be climbing on them again till they got them sorted. They chose not to so I never cleaned those windows again. One of them I still work for twenty years later. They eventually got their's repaired but never asked me to do those windows again which I was more than happy to comply with for my own peace of mind.

9. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

Wouldn't be a problem .. Do it all day long Simple task using fold up ladder outta back of van

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

one things for sure ,if you walk the roofs often youre going to be in sh/tstreet sooner or later .my lads and i now rarely walk any

Advertisement