Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My First Full Year As A Windy!

mrtaytay

Well its been my first full year as a traditional windowcleaner. I started in October 2012 after 28 years of working in a court!. There was a degree of cynicism from some friends, family and colleagues when I announced my intentions to become a windy. It just made me more determined to make a success of it.

I have been looking back in the work diary for last year...some days were very sparse in terms of houses to clean. I remember, sometimes, wondering whether I would ever get enough customers (I imagine that this can be a dark time for some new windy`s). The truth is, it didnt take so long. By mid Jan 2012, I no longer had to do any canvassing. I had concentrated on doing a quality job, taking my time and ensuring the whole window unit was cleaned. It does pay off because you soon start to get recommendations. By mid Feb of this year there were no longer gaps in my diary and I have been super busy ever since. The books are full and I only take new customers if they are really close to other customers. That is the aim now...to condense my patch. Took six new ones on this week...all neigbours of existing customers.

Without doubt, the most frustrating aspect of the year has been the weather. I still find it hard to get used to the unpredictability. The second most frustrating aspect has been living with some of the bad quotes that I initially gave in my first few months. It always happens...we are all so keen to get our first few customers. But even some of the bad quotes have helped me get more customers...at least it gets you out there and seen. Other than that, its been all good. Still lots to learn and I still need to speed up....but I am not going to get hung up about the speed. I am not earning anything like some of the guys on here....nor getting through as many houses!

Thanks for reading.

ps...so glad the shortest day is nearly here.....cant wait for the days to stretch out again.

Brilliant taytay, I wish you more success this coming year, I start my business first week in January, I have bought a decent customer base, hopefully in a year I will post a success story like yours

That is great pal, I am glad things have worked out for you. It does really just time time and patience. One of the things that is good about getting over that first year, is you now have all you data on expenses and can get a better idea of what you need to earn an hour. This is a big thing, and it will give you the incentive to speed up if you know exactly what your making.

Speed does come bit by bit. I think some of the more awkward properties tend to slow you down. I used to dread going to some, but over time I have mastered them, learning the best ladder positions etc. Its also key to try and condense your patch, ideally being able to walk from one customer to another. Thats what is happening to me now...just get out there and be seen and get a good reputation. Its also important to be polite and respectful.

Great stuff mate, glad it's going well. Ya same as me with speed, I'm not fast but concentrate on doing a good job first and foremost but speed will come with experience.

one thing I learnt is that if you do that little bit extra e.g wipe frames be reliable (weather permiting) and just keep your custy up to date with delays/ holidays etc you will soon get recommendations and youl find people are willing to pay that little bit extra for it. good luck for the next 12 months

Well its been my first full year as a traditional windowcleaner. I started in October 2012 after 28 years of working in a court!. There was a degree of cynicism from some friends, family and colleagues when I announced my intentions to become a windy. It just made me more determined to make a success of it.
I have been looking back in the work diary for last year...some days were very sparse in terms of houses to clean. I remember, sometimes, wondering whether I would ever get enough customers (I imagine that this can be a dark time for some new windy`s). The truth is, it didnt take so long. By mid Jan 2012, I no longer had to do any canvassing. I had concentrated on doing a quality job, taking my time and ensuring the whole window unit was cleaned. It does pay off because you soon start to get recommendations. By mid Feb of this year there were no longer gaps in my diary and I have been super busy ever since. The books are full and I only take new customers if they are really close to other customers. That is the aim now...to condense my patch. Took six new ones on this week...all neigbours of existing customers.

Without doubt, the most frustrating aspect of the year has been the weather. I still find it hard to get used to the unpredictability. The second most frustrating aspect has been living with some of the bad quotes that I initially gave in my first few months. It always happens...we are all so keen to get our first few customers. But even some of the bad quotes have helped me get more customers...at least it gets you out there and seen. Other than that, its been all good. Still lots to learn and I still need to speed up....but I am not going to get hung up about the speed. I am not earning anything like some of the guys on here....nor getting through as many houses!

Thanks for reading.

ps...so glad the shortest day is nearly here.....cant wait for the days to stretch out again.
lol, dont worry, neither are they, its all bulls*** mate.excellent post and an excellent effort, well done mate, hopefully 2013 will be kinder weather-wise

@mrtatay-Well done mate are you the guy who started of on a push bike and leaving sets of ladders around your area?or have a got you worng?

with the wages mentioned on here most should be retired now lol.

oh ok mate wonder what happened to him?anyway well done mate doing better than me i make zero profits so to speak till march oh well not long left lol

Good luck for next year dont listen to much about what people earnon any forums a lot of it is just toilet .Quailty of the work is more important than numbers

Thanks for reading.

Well done for doing your own thing; leaving the comfort of highly professional environment behind must have been tough. Wage slaves often don’t realise you are starting a business and not looking for only a job as a window cleaner.

Your prices are just as important as the number of customers you service, so far this week I have average 5.4 customers, by the time I finish for Christmas it will probably be no more than 7, or less. It has been a ‘rainy year’ for a lot of people, but still there is always many more dry days than wet, it wont be long before you make posts on the forum about the ‘hot weather’!

Earnings are relevant to each business, and it is what you do here, that sets you apart from the approach of an employed window cleaner.

Best wishes in 2013.

Richard

Back