Cold Hands

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Skippy2107, Feb 22, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Skippy2107

Skippy2107 Guest

Hello everyone. Just wondering what you guys do to keep your hands warm at this time of year. I've tried seal skinz gloves but they interfere with the cleaning. Any ideas? Thank you

Advertisement
  2. mark m

mark m Hero

3. Murphy

Murphy Active Member

Nothing just grin and bear it

4. Posh

Posh Hero

My hands were going like sandpaper & cracking so from Wednesday I have worn surgical gloves all day. Wot a difference. My hands Wernt that cold. I could trad with them on & they feel softer now.

5. harunh

harunh Legend

I always fort about latex glovee

6. iluvwindows

iluvwindows Well-Known Member

+1

7. John B

John B Active Member

I don't wear gloves, even in the coldest weather. I put hot water in my bucket to the highest temperature I can put my hands into. After about an hour or so of working, although the water will have cooled, my hands will have usually warmed up enough to be able to keep going.

John

8. Mart1001

Mart1001 Well-Known Member

Yea, back in the day when I used to use damp scrim and cloth only, I always had to wring my cloth into the bucket and therefore, always had wet hands but always, even in warm weather, used hot water. I remember facing my first winter and was worried that I'd get cold hands but it didn't happen....even when the water has gone cold, it was still warmer than the air temperature and the moment my hands felt a little cold, it was simply time to wring my cloth out again.
    Even today, I try to clean windows with warm water....I know it works out more expensive but, cleaning windows with cold water 20 years ago was a no no and really, I can't understand why it's become acceptable today.

You do have to be careful working all day with cold hands, This time last year, I was perfroming major surgery on my car and was working out in the bitter cold for days on end, I got cold in one of my knuckle joints....it took a whole 9 months to work it out. It wasn't painful as such, it always gave me that slight ache you get when you need to crack a joint and once I did crack it, it eased off for an hour or so but like I say, it took 9 months to get it back to normal.....very wierd.

I would really recommend pouring your water down the drain and asking one of your fav customers for a top up of hot/warm water when it's really cold....they'll understand in this weather. Even if you knock um a quid off for the privilege, it's worth it as it keeps you working at speed.

Mart.

9. harunh

harunh Legend

im confused

10. John B

John B Active Member

The hands will warm up at a quicker rate than the water will cool.

Besides, gloves get in the way when detailing, and can be lethal when trying to grip a wet or icy top window sill. Also, when you are a seasoned pro you toughen up!

John

Advertisement