Cold weather advice...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by rjacandwc, Jan 15, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. rjacandwc

rjacandwc Well-Known Member

Yesterday Suffolk hit sub-zero temp... I went out at 8.30am where I start my day cleaning a care home. When I got there I was all ready to rip into action and would you Adam and eve-it!!! my washer was just icing up all over the first window... I tried a second window and third to find this problem just carried on... So. I went home, comfort ate a load of toast, had a cuppa, and a *** in the garden, waited for the sun to pop up a little more and then went back at 10am... I was out till 2.30 and earned around £70. So, all in all I was happy that i got my work done and I am on top of my work so far for this month.

just wondered how all you all cope in these situations and any hints or tips would be great?... I did here Meths are good to use???

Advertisement
  2. When its cold enough that water is freezing on the windows there isn't much you can do, in the past when i was trad i used to put antifreeze in my bucket which worked to an extent, but for the most part waiting it out is the only option

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

If it is that cold, just stay home. Look at the forecasts for temperature as well as 'weather', i sometimes forget!. If you really need to get out, wait till later, after 10, like you did. Its better to get some work done than none at all. That has the added benefit of you being able to stay warm in bed for an extra couple of hours, which in turn may have other advantages, if your other half is home too.....!, ooh err!

4. rjacandwc

rjacandwc Well-Known Member

No chance of that mate. She is preggers at the moment!!!... Its like sleeping with a Beach Whale!!!

What Temp. from your experience is ok to Clean Windows???

5. laddergarder

There was days last year that this was happening to us all through the day, even at 12, 1 oclock in the the afternoon. We just took the day off. It actually happened quite a lot last year, and like yourself if we could wait a little and just get started a little later, that is what we did.

Thankfully this has not happened to us this year, so far. But it does seems to be getting a bit colder, so hopefully we don't see too much of it.

Bring on the summer :)

6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Im wfp only, and have found water freezing on the glass is not really that much of an issue for me, certainly down to maybe -2. Velux windows can be more of a problem due to the angle, as the water runs down it slower so there is more chance of it freezing. My main worry is water frezing in my hose, esp if i am using a lot of it. The 1st house i plan to do tomorrow is also my biggest, and i will need all 100m. With that much hose lying on the ground, you really need to have the water running all the time, if i stop the water for a few minutes, that can be enough for it to freeze somewhere!. Another issue for me, as my round is spread far and wide, is how much the temperature can vary from place to place. If i look at the forecast for tomorrow, the reading i get is for the nearest town to my 1st house, which is about 2 miles away, it says 0 at 9am +1 at 12noon, which should be fine, but this house is near the top of a hill and quite exposed, so it may be -3 there!. Personally, if the forecast for where i planned to work was saying -4 or colder, i would probably not bother going out, milder than that, i would give it a go, esp if the work wasnt too far away.

By the way, i hope you dont tell your missus she is like a beached whale!

7. chip

chip Guru

i'm wfp but use 25ltr drums, first time i faced winter i had water freezing in the hose, and figured out that as the drums had been left in the van they were already practically freezing, icy ground soon made it freeze up. last year when we had all that snow, i had left them in the house o/night and were at more a room tempreture i never once had a freeze up even though the hose was trailing through snow, although i don't go out in daft temps maybe -2 at the lowest, but don't generally start unless it's past 0, but the ground is usually still frozen, so if you use drums, get them in the house
    only other occasion it freezes on the glass is if it's a conny/room unheated

8. Masons

Masons Guru

Today I got to work about 6ish, the bucket was frozen up and all my jerry cans had ice banging around inside.
    Then at about 11am my pump was froze up in the trolley, so sat their for 15mins warming it up with my hands.

I need to work regardless of temp, I'll stay out as to be honest it could rain the rest of the week and the two or three jobs I got done could pay a bill or two.
    I wouldn't be doing anything exciting if I stayed home so may aswell stay out and try some work.
    Plus theirs always one or two jobs that can be done, unless it's minus 8 lol

9. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Hmm, after my last post yesterday re my 1st house today, guess what?!, thats right, my hose froze up, doh!. Actually it was my downstairs pole that started the problem, the jets froze up, but because that then meant my water wasnt running, the hose froze up too. Cue an hour of faffing about trying to get things flowing again. Didnt have any problems after that though, well apart from spilling half a cup of tea on my lap at dinner time, and that aint relevant! :-(

10. chip

chip Guru

have you tried a heater in your van at ***ht?

Advertisement