Cold

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Posh, Jan 28, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Posh

Posh Hero

In for a cold spell next week. Wrap up warm & get them hats & gloves out. On the brighter side springs nearly here & we've been lucky so far.

Advertisement
  2. jimlaffo

jimlaffo Guest

Can't wait!!
    Don't wear gloves myself, what are the best tO buy? I'm a trad windy, doing scrim with gloves could be tricky.
    Any tips?

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

You are right about that posh, we cant really complain about the weather this winter so far. Still, cant help hoping that the cold snap wont last long!.[hr]
    jimlaffo, gloves are a very personal choice. I have tried a few without much satisfaction, but the next i'm lining up to try are joka polar. Theses are probably too cumbersome for trad (i'm wfp only), but they do have other, less chunky gloves though, check out www.jokaglovesuk.com

4. Posh

Posh Hero

To be honest I can't wear gloves either. I'm a trad to and yes yer right you can't scrim properly. Tried fingerless but within 2 mins there soaked. To be honest it's my Ali ladder that makes my hands cold.[hr]
    Thanks badbusdriver for the link

5. Masons

Masons Guru

I'm both wfp and trad, both I cannot stand to do wearing gloves.
    Slow me down rather than help.
    I'm lovin the weather so far this winter, it says can be bad for a week but I'm not worrying.

6. jimlaffo

jimlaffo Guest

Same here posh, Ali ladder is a killer on a damp cold day, fingers have been red raw at tunes this last week. Oh well, soon be spring, can't wait

7. simon

simon Guru

i use unger neoprene gloves i found them great for trad especially when i changed from wooden ladders to aluminium & easy to scrim with, im mostly wfp so dont really need gloves now

8. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Simon, you dont need gloves now because you are wfp?!. You must be hard as nails!, i need gloves when its colder, and have done since i started cleaning windows (wfp only) 2.5 years ago. Maybe its because i am getting older, but i have a constant battle to keep my hands warm!. I have tried many different gloves, including unger neoprene, which were ok as far as keeping my hands warm, but i kept nipping the material in the pole clamps ending up with holes all over the place!. I went on to www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk on the recomendation of someone here and bought a couple of different kinds, one of which was advertised as being for wet handling and cold store work. This pair was quite effective, but only once i'd been working for about an hour!. I still havent found ones that keep my hands warm from the start, but as i said in previous post, am eyeing up the joka polars, but again, as mentioned, from what i have heard, they would be far to bulky for trad window cleaning. For you trad guys and gals, maybe you could try the joka hold, or xrp.

9. Masons

Masons Guru

^ Some people have warm hands, or just do better putting up with cold.
    I don't wear gloves, even when it's freezing on windows...

10. chip

chip Guru

me neither, can't work with gloves, well, 2 or 3 times when cleaning shops a 6am trad and it was severe, but could'nt do it all day, all fingers and thumbs! imo i found wearing gloves only delayed the inevitable of bitterly painfull fingers, and i've always found if you ride the pain barrier for 20 mins it passes and you're ok again. definately better to be wfp in that regard, but it still happens!

Advertisement