Coming Back After 10 Years..need Some Help Please!

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Marc Neunie Neun, Oct 24, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hello all

I'm an oldie, but still a newbie - i'll explain..

I started a round in 2004 and loved it. I did this for about a year but health/family/life problems hit hard and I stopped window cleaning.

Someone recently has made me realise that I was good at it and I enjoyed my time outside so I am about to make my comeback!

I've never used WFP and i've heard mixed things about it. I believe people like clean frames and being directly in front of the window is better than being on the ground with a brush on a stick. ye? no? Advise me?!

Right I have some questions (sorry if I am being repetitive!)

1. Reccommended Traditional suppliers?
    2. Whats the new law on working at height?
    3. Does leafleting work?
    4. Ladder safe products - I had a few slips the last time I did it!
    5. Does anyone use a contract system where customers have to sign up for a certain period? I had one off cleans before and lost money.
    6. What is the amount you can earn before you declare tax?

There's probably more I need to know but that'll do for now.

Thank you for reading.

Marc

Advertisement
  2. RiceRocket

RiceRocket Well-Known Member

2. There's no law but H&S recommended guidelines to not use ladders when other methods are available eg WFP
    6. I think you have to declare you're self employed & submit annual turnover/expenses/profit but there is a personal allowance of ~£9.5k so with trad expenses you won't pay tax until earning past 10k. Still got to pay like tenner a month NI though.

3. mark m

mark m Hero

Welcome to the forum Marc

4. C-THROUGH

C-THROUGH Active Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I did much the same as you, built up a good round and regular customer base then decided (not sure why) that I would return to employed work!
    Hated it and returned to "The windows" a few years later.
    Managed to build up another good round (to be honest a lot of my old customers happily took me back) and I have not looked back since!
    I am 40 and not very "technical" so on returning to the windows I did things the same way as before!
    1: Customers like personal touch - Phone calls night before etc.
    2: Pad and pen rather than "Apps" and other ways of deciding when customers cleans due!
    3: Always look and act professional, logo on t-shirt, jumper, hoody etc.
    4: Knocking on doors and handing leaflets to prospective customers.
    5: Traditional on residential but wfp on commercial.

Hope this helps and sorry if I went on a bit...........

Advertisement