Competition

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by brianroberts569, Sep 16, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. brianroberts569

brianroberts569 Newcomer

Is it me or is our business the only one that does not tolerate competition?
    I am talking about not offering service to people who already have a window cleaner. If it were the same in all businesses there would only be one of each shop on the high street and one chippy per town. Personally I do not go where there are other window cleaners. But I do get others in my area and I was recently called by a guy who was obviously another window cleaner I had seen in my area, he said he was from an address that didn't exist.
    I just feel a bit baffled by our attitude toward competition . I have spoken to people who have been threatened for having customers in someone else's PATCH. We should be able to at least offer our services to everyone and let them make an informed choice. Some people have said o me that there window cleaner does not provide the service they promise, or the customer needs, but tolerate it for years. You wouldn't go to Tesco and tolerate mouldy bread. Just saying like.

Advertisement
  2. Eclipse

Eclipse Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me, I won't knowingly undercut someone unless their price is ridiculous. When we go canvassing I always ask if the householder has a window cleaner, if they have I'll ask if they're happy with them then leave a card. I also upsell other services if the require them, I have a regular customer who has 5 shops that I clean tha fascias on as their window cleaner won't do it, no bother to me as I get £50 a month off them for an hours work.

3. dasslr1

dasslr1 94 to go

i recently posted some cards around my area and got i call off a chap askin if i was a window cleaner then ask were my work was ,which i told him .he seem to be getin really mad and i ask him if every thing was ok ,he tells me hes i window cleaner and said "that would you like it if i posted my cards around were you worked" i replied "no worries bud theres enough houses for everyone if you can get them fair play" he started stuttering and quitened down then said "fine " and hung up loll

4. RiceRocket

RiceRocket Well-Known Member

My main working area usually gets canvassed by cards/flyers 2-3 times a year but I don't get bothered by them as I've never lost a customer or see any new WCs, some of my customers actually get more worked up about it!

Though I did notice some fascias cleans not done by me back in my trad days.

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Funny thing is most of the work I do customers already have a regular window cleaner. Go figure :Image3:

6. brianroberts569

brianroberts569 Newcomer

Great comments, thanks. I just think we (by we I mean me) should worry less about others and concentrate on doing my job as well as I can. Time to stop looking over my shoulder.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Indeed...

8. Kips

Kips Well-Known Member

Never worried about it really - never had a bad experience, but also I've got a mate who's been doing MMA for 12 years and I think if I ever got any jip I'd say hey listen i'm just the monkey here, let me phone the boss for you.. :p

9. harvey69

harvey69 Member

you don t go where there are other window cleaners ? well in london there are virtually no streets without a window cleaner lol . if I ever get threatened by anyone I wouldn't think twice about going to the police and press charges for threats and harassment. not sure how good for their business that would be! never got bullied by anyone not gonna start now at 43 lol

Advertisement