Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Another pole question- which will do?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

AGlassAct

Dilemma still....... been pondering [emoji848] n this for a while and now I'm even more confused.

I need a 37ft + reach pole. Was settled on the Xtreme 35 but it's only going to be used for velux windows and solar panels, having read the 'care' guide I'm not convinced this pole will last. I've read a couple of reviews of people saying it sags at length and can bang on gutters - but assume that's the older version. I also don't understand why you can't use a uni-valve with it. I've ruled out the slx as I have a 22 and think it will be a banana at 40ft. Any of you guys use the Supermax 3k or the Xtreme for similar that could give there opinions.

The obvious choice would be the Ultimate - but at £1700 it's staying in the wish list basket!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have an slx 39 and find its perfectly fine for the jobs I have. No it's not as rigid once you get to that height but considering I rarely need to use it at full extension then it does the job. It doesn't bannana or whip around.

If you only need it for odd solar panel jobs and a few velux windows I imagine the slx would work for you as you know you're getting a quality tool that will last. Also you could just get extensions onto your current slx - that will hurt the pocket less too!

Thanks Hawke - my original plan was to get the extensions as I have a nearly new 'spare' slx22. I think the conclusion to that was it would make the pole longer than a standard one (closed) and wouldn't cost much less than the length pole I wanted anyway. Interesting that you say it's not whippy at length - it would be a lot cheaper to get an slx than the extreme that's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Yeah I've bought extensions to my slx 25 and I take them off when not needed as majority of my work is reachable with the 25.

For me it depends how much you need it. I have a few blocks of flats and I've done some commercial work and I have a few houses with high dormas and velux windows - so in all my work I only have a few hours each month where I'll use the full reach so I can handle the little more flexibility when I need to fully extend.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate your personal experiences. I don't have many jobs with velux windows and tend to do solar panels from gutter level from a ladder - having had a very close call on a ladder the other day I'm looking at a bigger pole for safety as much as speed but want to make an informed decision so I don't have to buy again in a year or two. Now I know the SLX is adequate I'd like to see/hear if the supermax offers much more for the money. No one seems to own - or admit to owning - a facelift for comparison which is a shame as they look like an interesting pole.

I had an extream 47 that I used for solar panels and it does hit the gutter and roof tiles as it's to whippy , only way you might get away with it is don't extend the first section this will make it a bit stiffer , I don't think you will find a 35 will be long enough Evan for a normal semi we use a 47 extream on most roof mounts it's a lot stiffer but a lot dearer , another option is to use a longer goose neck this will help to keep the pole higher off the roof 

I measured 37ft from a foot off the ground to top velux on my biggest house and most of my houses are smaller 60's built houses. Was your pole a xtreme2 PJJ ? And was it durable as I notice you mention you 'had' an Xtreme

I measured 37ft from a foot off the ground to top velux on my biggest house and most of my houses are smaller 60's built houses. Was your pole a xtreme2 PJJ ? And was it durable as I notice you mention you 'had' an Xtreme

Mine was the original one with 3 point clamping I sold it due to its very whippy nature and bought an ultimate much better pole but heavy and dearer , I think the latest extream are stiffer but friends of mine say they still hit gutters and roof tiles with it leaving the first section closed and only extending each section to three quarters does help make it more ridged but obviously you then need a longer pole to reach the panels , personally I think the ultimate is a more robust pole and will last longer than an extream but it should do as it's considerably dearer and a bit heavier 

You would think the Ultimate is exactly that - lightest and stiffest pole but the first thing I noticed in the comparison chart was it's quite a bit heavier than the Xtreme. It still baffles me that you can buy a fishing pole that's as straight as Harry Potters wand at 16 metres but the technology hasn't crossed over to this game! Sorry - that's unfair as I understand some of the modular poles are as good but would be a pain in the ar$e to use.
It sounds like even the top pole has its limitations so for the money would consider the supermax a happy medium?

You would think the Ultimate is exactly that - lightest and stiffest pole but the first thing I noticed in the comparison chart was it's quite a bit heavier than the Xtreme. It still baffles me that you can buy a fishing pole that's as straight as Harry Potters wand at 16 metres but the technology hasn't crossed over to this game! Sorry - that's unfair as I understand some of the modular poles are as good but would be a pain in the ar$e to use.
It sounds like even the top pole has its limitations so for the money would consider the supermax a happy medium?

I've no experience of  the  supermax the ultimate is a very nice pole but it is heavy it is much better in the wind than an extream, I think what might be the best window pole isn't nessasarily the best solar panel pole for roof mounts , it's horses for courses for us we prefer the ultimate but it's expensive you will have to use it a lot to make it pay we only use ours about 3 times a week on a variety of jobs panels and high commercial windows , I wouldn't want to use it 8 hours a day 5 days a week but it is the best pole for the job in my opinion everyone who has used mine prefers it to the extream 47 

Has anyone tried a large gooseneck to help clear gutters?
Yes that's what I suggested earlier it does help 

Cheers PJJ - appreciate your wisdom. If I was full time on the glass I'd get an ultimate without question - kind of a difficult conversation to have with the wife if that turned up on the bank statement!!!!

Latest Posts

Back