Concrete and tin cladding building cleaning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Reform, Feb 16, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Reform

Reform Guest

Not sure if this is posted in the appropriate place, my apologies if not.

I have been given the opportunity to tender for a VERY large contract, cleaning windows and walls (some concrete and some tin cladding).

At first i thought it is way out of my league and to walk away being the size of the job and also the fact that i have no experience of cleaning building walls in this scale. However, i do want to expand and grow, and with a good contract like this, it is very tempting to take it on.

is there anyone with experience in this kind of work that could help me???

I'm assuming that the cladding could be done WFP, and concrete by pressure washing...but how to quote a job this size is frying my brain (which don't take a lot) :D

thanx in advance.... Kev

Advertisement
  2. chip

chip Guru

sorry kev, never done anything like it. could give them a day rate if you can't fathom it.
    i agree concrete would probably be best jet washed, not sure if wfp would tackle the cladding, might be ok with detergent in water, would definitely use a different brush to what i clean windows with

3. mr shine

mr shine Guru

hi i cant advise you on price as i dont know how much is involved you can use tfr to clean the cladding with wfp if you had access to an outside tap connect hose to pole this would be a lot faster as you would have much stronger pressure and save on pure water the concrete walls powerwash with a turbo nozzle and stubborn stains treat with chloras and powerwash if the walls are high use a powerpole i hope this is some help good luck anyway

4. Reform

Reform Guest

thanks for your replies.

i think wfp would definately do a good job for the cladding, as it is a flat surface and not shapped like alot of warehousing can be. but thanks for the tip on using tap water as the job is 130 mile from base so finding a b&b that will allow me to refill the van over ***ht could be hard :p

the building height is about 50' which is fine for wfp but from what i can tell, pressure wash poles dont go that high

the main problem in pricing is going to be putting a time scale on how long it is going to take. if it was a smaller job i would be happy to just put a best guess price forward and seeing how it goes, but due to its size, with cherry pickers & pressure washer hire, hotel costs, employee wages ect, if i get it wrong....it could be very expensive lol....tho i have good relations with the guy tendering the work, so putting a daily rate plus expences might be a possibility.

5. James

James Guru

WFP is fine for cladding Kev, I've done it before on a few jobs. Concrete will need to be jet washed.

For pricing you have just hit the nail on the head from what you've said. Add up all expenses i.e. hotel costs, staff wages, cherry pickers blah blah blah and add on what you wan't to make profit wise. That will be your answer.

James.

6. jasonbrien

jasonbrien Guest

Yes, I have tried WFP too for cladding in my office and it was a good experience. The pricing can become a issue with that but you have to sort it out with maintaining your relations.

7. anz0002

anz0002 Guest

Not sure about it but I was reading some details regarding it and I think that for concrete jet wash would be most appropriate.

8. Paul

Paul Guest

As for the hight while pressure washing, you can hire spider lifts or mobile booms with operators however if it's a ongoing contract Maby look at a IPAF course £170 save a fortune on operators, I think the lifts start off at around £100 per day just add to the price.

9. Reform

Reform Guest

Just found out that they dont want access equipment used, so thats the concrete side ruled out being 45' high.

The cladding is painted (i should imagine powder coated) so definately WFP is prefered to pressure washing, but has lichen all over and moss in the cladding joins. Did you guys have to compete with those? if so, did you use chemical pre soak or similar?

10. Paul

Paul Guest

How on earth do the expect you to pressure wash at that hight without accsess :-/

Advertisement