Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Interior advice needed please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bill Prince

I have been asked to quote fro a large glass building in London, it is about 22 m high and slopes away from building, no access for cherry picker, loads of cables and wires, only apparent answer is scaffolding, I think WFP would work but right at the bottom there is a grill that holds a electric heating element so I cant let the water get into that, is there any bunding that I can stick to the window to hold the water so I can vacuum it out?

At 22' you will be able to clean those from the floor with an applicator and squeegee to an acceptable standard.

We clean a run of glass panels in a leisure center which are 30' high.

We use a 40' SLX40 with a squeegee (no brush) and the applicator is on an Unger Teleplus pole. The squeegee is a Unger 0 degree with swivel. We use a 2nd Unger pole with an Unger flexi clamp with a cloth for detailing.

It does require a bit of practice TBH and need two working together, the first using the applicator, the second (me) squeegeeing and the first going back and detailing. Depending on where we are regarding floor space we can do pull downs, but where space is limited we have to draw the squeegee horizontally. Sometimes it has to be done again as the squeegee doesn't always sit flat on the glass as you get lower.

At that height, we are unable to fan the window as we would normally do on ordinary windows.

Those Sorbo large squeegees look interesting for this height but weight would be an interesting.

We also do a school atrium and have exactly the same issue. The top windows are 35' high. The school has a tower which we use to do the very tops as access from the floor is restricted by large wooden posts and beams that support the roof. We can't use wfp inside due to the number of electric cables inside the structure. The school has a qualified person who signs off the erection of the tower. We provide our own safety harness and lanyard, which again has a life span of 5 years, no matter how infrequently you use it.

If you hire a suitable tower, you need to go on a days training course (I think its a PASMA course). Most hire companies I'm told will have these training courses which you will have to pay for. The certificate is also only valid for 7 years I believe.

In our case the heating in the floor is by hot water, but I would hate to suck that muck up with my vacuum cleaner every year anyway.

Another cleaning company in Middlesbrough have a run on internal windows in the old Wilton Chemical plant offices that face into an atrium. They are able to do those windows wfp as there are no cables to worry about. They use absorbent mats and vacuum up the water from these mats as they go. So 2 people are involved in this operation.

I have been asked to quote fro a large glass building in London, it is about 22 m high and slopes away from building, no access for cherry picker, loads of cables and wires, only apparent answer is scaffolding, I think WFP would work but right at the bottom there is a grill that holds a electric heating element so I cant let the water get into that, is there any bunding that I can stick to the window to hold the water so I can vacuum it out?

Sorry Bill. I misread this as 22', not 22 meters as you have written.

I was waiting for the penny to drop Spruce /emoticons/smile.png)

Bill is talking best part of 66ft here. :eek:

I would suggest piping back to the building Bill, getting some photos and posting them on here so we can see accurately the hazards and requirements involved before we all just give random advice based on pictures in our heads.

At 22' you will be able to clean those from the floor with an applicator and squeegee to an acceptable standard.
We clean a run of glass panels in a leisure center which are 30' high.

We use a 40' SLX40 with a squeegee (no brush) and the applicator is on an Unger Teleplus pole. The squeegee is a Unger 0 degree with swivel. We use a 2nd Unger pole with an Unger flexi clamp with a cloth for detailing.

It does require a bit of practice TBH and need two working together, the first using the applicator, the second (me) squeegeeing and the first going back and detailing. Depending on where we are regarding floor space we can do pull downs, but where space is limited we have to draw the squeegee horizontally. Sometimes it has to be done again as the squeegee doesn't always sit flat on the glass as you get lower.

At that height, we are unable to fan the window as we would normally do on ordinary windows.

Those Sorbo large squeegees look interesting for this height but weight would be an interesting.
Hi,

Sorry its 22 metres high not feet!

Back