Conny roof inside and out as well as rest of conny - self cleaning???

Discussion in 'Conservatory Cleaning' started by Scottie, Oct 30, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Scottie

Scottie Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I have a ful glass conny roof to clean and been told its self cleaning. Well it looks as if that failed, it looks awful. Also inside looks a but manc, maybe smoker :(

Is there any way to clean a self cleaning conny roof. Persoanlly I think its utter **** and they dont work. I do not want to scratch a coating off, or will that not happen or is it what they like to make you think?

I was going to put a cleanign solution on first an spray it on the, then use a hose an brush in one and scrub it clean, then squeegee off, cna a squeegee be uses?

This self cleaning **** is throwing a spanner in rthe works, or do you just ingnor that and clean it up.

Thank you. Alos any recommended cleaning solutions, cheaper ones. I am using e cover and flash.

Advertisement
  2. meridion

meridion Well-Known Member

HAHA 'self cleaning'.

Proceed as normal mate, there is no coating. Window Salesman magic talk. Theyre not gonna take a conservatory back if they're not self cleaning are they? Just carry on mate.

3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Self cleaning glass is real
    It don't work but certain chems can't be used on it
    Smurf will know what not to use
    Just got some asda version of ecover scottie
    Still needs a little flash imo but is only £1.35 a litre
    Put it direct onto wet squeegee uses less than in the bucket

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

#4 Smurf, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Outsides I tend to just use pure hot water using wfp method and mostly

Pilkington Activ™ is based on a thin film of titanium dioxide rather than particles of titanium dioxide and the film is approximately 15 nanometres thick.

This add for self cleaning glass is soooo wrong as misleads ppl they will never need to clean them. :D

If it was so good they would not need to have this to tell you how to clean it and what products to use now would they :laugh:
    http://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/householders/types-of-glass/self-cleaning-glass/brochures

If you then look in the list you will find two relevant pdf's to download.

Cleaning and Maintenance Guidelines

List of Approved Cleaning Agents

5. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i wouldnt use a scraper on the outside ,just in case.

but if you suspect its been smoked in on the inside thats where you need to be careful- nicotine gloop is very toxic. get it on your skin and itll go straight into your bloodstream, you will feel sick as a dog / another thing your scrubber wont ever wash out nicely after its had smokers nicotine on it . price high AND wear gloves or walk away

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Even when i was a smoker i wouldn't do insides if they were sticky with nicotine and smoke
    The smell takes days to get off your hands

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i have found that smokers are quite honest if you ask "has this here been smoked in ?"

the very worst is where the nicotine has dried out ,and turned into an "ancient oak varnish ", its usually at the top edge of a window - its incredibly hard to remove even with a brand new scraper.

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

It's part of the reason i gave up smoking
    Thougjt to myself that's how i must smell to my wife and son who don't smoke
    That and the fact i thought i was being selfish as my dad smoked and died young from heart attack
    Still have the odd crafty 1 when i have a beer though
    Not clever

9. boarcity

boarcity Guest

now wer onto smoking, arent these Ecigs bleedin annoying. my workers use them when my van is motoring along. several times iv suddenly thought Sh.it the fookin vans on fire , then realized its an ecig is to blame

10. PTWC

PTWC Guest

had a job to clean a load of Florescent Light Diffusers in an office once. (the 5' and 6' long plastic covers that clip over the light fittings).
    I cleaned them on site in a big water tank, using water and Sugar Soap, as they were all filthy with nicotine and everything else.
    It was back when people were allowed to smoke in the offices.
    I wonder now if that was hazardous to my health! :eek:

Advertisement