Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Contacting commercial properties

P

Paul

I just picked this out of another thread by and thought it might be helpful here.

It's on how to contact commercial properties

If I dont know what type of building I am calling I would say the following " Would it be possible to speak to somebody with regards to window cleaning at the premises" Care/Nursing/Rest or Retirement homes, ask for the manager. Pubs/Clubs and Inns, ask for the owner or manager. Schools etc, you would have to start again with the first line, as its either the bursar or the premises manager. (Schools tend to be the easiest to get into) If you can avoid it, don't get into a conversation with the person that answers the phone, its not their decision with regards to service suppliers for the company/business - aim is to get straight through to the decision maker, without having to explain too much, so paramount is getting passed the gatekeeper. Quite often, the person who answers the phone takes it upon themselves to make the decision for the whole company, sounds a bit harsh but you must speak with the person who is in charge of what you are ringing about, thats key. If their not available call back when they are rather than having the person who answers the phone say no. I have written an article on this I have posted it before, but I will attach again, if of any use to anybody

https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/attachment.php?aid=86

So once you have the potential new customer on the phone, what's the best way to sell yourself without sounding like it's the first call you have ever made.

The biggest problem I have every time is loyalty issues (which isn't bad in itself, if the customer is happy with the current service, there's not really a a lot you can do, quite often the window cleaner has been with the company 10/15 years) Your'e more likely to strike lucky if whoever you are speaking with has only had the supplier for a short time - this then gets down to price battles. I work with a couple of freelancers, and they have said its the hardest sell they have ever done. I always enquire on the service side, are they reliable? Do a good job? Compe***ive pricing? These type of sales calls really are number crunching. Ask if its under contract, when the renewal date is - try and get as much information as you can. Aim for an appointment, if you cant get that, get email details to send a flyer to. Its really also about building your database up, if not appropriate at the time that you call - it maybe in the future. Please remember guys though, if your calling numbers to check that they are not on the TPS TCPS list.

http://www.numbercheck.co.uk/logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

I will say I tend to have more luck in the following categories. Nursing homes, rest and retirement, schools, hotels, pubs and bars. Housing associations are notoriously difficult as are property management - but all worth a call. If the person isnt there who you need to speak with, and the receptionist says "is there anything I can help you with?", just say "no, its ok, its a sales call, I will call back", this then gets you out of the scenario of the person who has answered the call saying no. Best time for calling I find is between 10 and 12pm and then after 2pm. I understand though that's difficult for you guys -even if you can spare 1 hour a week to whizz through some calls your building your database. Happy dialling!! PS I have a very cheap data supplier with all numbers checked for 28 days if thats of any help to anybody £50 for 5000 numbers

Have you been on the blower Hinty? Interested to know how you got on

Catherine do you put across that you could try to save them money and still get good quality service ? As I could imagine that will be the best selling point.

Yes I do Paul, but its loyalty issues that stump the call, money very rarely comes into it. They are loyal to current contractors, they have formed a relationship, and that's hard to break. Money bares no factor. All I can say really is guys get on the phone and monitor the response. The people that I call are loyal and if the same guy has been there for 10 years, their not going to change, this is why you need to build a database where you can "stick your nose in" In sales we call it "pipelining" sometimes you wont get an instant result but youve got your base to call from.

Companies do form relationships with suppliers, its human nature. "Hi X come and have a cuppa tea" thats formed over many years and there is an attachment. In some cases its almost a protectiveness If a company has has the same guy for 15 years, the relationship is already there, its the newer stuff that you can get in with. Even if you said I will do it cheaper, they wont because they are probably sitting out the back having a cuppa with the cleaner - whose been there for 10 years. They have built the relationship already with the supplier over a very long time and to stick your oar in over that amount of time is very difficult

I try also Paul, to get articles published in trade magazines - so if I get any enquiries I can farm it out to the lads, im trying to draw commercial premises to my site. Another one attached.

CatererPressrelease (1).doc

Something that's worth mentioning if you're trying to get in contact with commercial cleaning companies that are in the areas that you operate. MANY of these companies won't have their own window cleaning teams and often sub contract window cleaning to individuals or other companies.

It's also worth contacting facilities management companies who operate in your area and see if you can add yourself to their suppliers list. You never know!

Good idea Iain, I'm going to give that a try as I know that a few schools up here us FM companies.

If a commercial property agreed to have their windows cleaned, what would e the next steps? what information would i need to have at hand to sort out payments, risk assessment, any other formalities? thank you

I would personally have a commercial pack at the ready, insurance, risk assessment/ method statement, health and safety, payment details also in that how long they have to pay after being invoiced and I would hand it over with ther quote.

I don't know how other people do it.

I would personally have a commercial pack at the ready, insurance, risk assessment/ method statement, health and safety, payment details also in that how long they have to pay after being invoiced and I would hand it over with ther quote.

I don't know how other people do it.
thanks, is there some kind of contract that has to be written up? and would you need a business bank account?

I don't think you would need as business bank get paid via check or bank transfer, with the contract It depends if you want one done, it can sometimes alienate you tho as alot of people don't like to sign up to things they like the option of change, personally up to yourself

In the VIP download area I have uploaded contract templates risk assessments introduction letters everything you would need

There is also leaflet templates quotation letters invoices all sorts mate

just another question, with invoicing, do you just literally send them an invoice in the post, drop it at the premises or email it? thanks

We've started emailing PDF invoices as these get their quicker and save a ridiculous amount on postage.

When tendering for work with commercial clients, you need to provide risk and method statements. Method statements would be quite generic but a lot of the time the risk assessments can be specific to the site as there are different factors to take into consideration.

Back