Contacting commercial properties

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by Paul, Mar 24, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paul

Paul Guest

I just picked this out of another thread by and thought it might be helpful here.
    It's on how to contact commercial properties

If I dont know what type of building I am calling I would say the following " Would it be possible to speak to somebody with regards to window cleaning at the premises" Care/Nursing/Rest or Retirement homes, ask for the manager. Pubs/Clubs and Inns, ask for the owner or manager. Schools etc, you would have to start again with the first line, as its either the bursar or the premises manager. (Schools tend to be the easiest to get into) If you can avoid it, don't get into a conversation with the person that answers the phone, its not their decision with regards to service suppliers for the company/business - aim is to get straight through to the decision maker, without having to explain too much, so paramount is getting passed the gatekeeper. Quite often, the person who answers the phone takes it upon themselves to make the decision for the whole company, sounds a bit harsh but you must speak with the person who is in charge of what you are ringing about, thats key. If their not available call back when they are rather than having the person who answers the phone say no. I have written an article on this I have posted it before, but I will attach again, if of any use to anybody
    [hr]
    https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/attachment.php?aid=86

Advertisement
  2. James

James Guru

Good find!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?azpqjb

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Thanks to Catherine ;) very helpful

4. Catherine

Catherine Guest

Happy to help if its of use to anybody

5. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Good advice Catherine - put into action since your first post, and it works!

6. Paul

Paul Guest

So once you have the potential new customer on the phone, what's the best way to sell yourself without sounding like it's the first call you have ever made.

7. Catherine

Catherine Guest

The biggest problem I have every time is loyalty issues (which isn't bad in itself, if the customer is happy with the current service, there's not really a a lot you can do, quite often the window cleaner has been with the company 10/15 years) Your'e more likely to strike lucky if whoever you are speaking with has only had the supplier for a short time - this then gets down to price battles. I work with a couple of freelancers, and they have said its the hardest sell they have ever done. I always enquire on the service side, are they reliable? Do a good job? Compe***ive pricing? These type of sales calls really are number crunching. Ask if its under contract, when the renewal date is - try and get as much information as you can. Aim for an appointment, if you cant get that, get email details to send a flyer to. Its really also about building your database up, if not appropriate at the time that you call - it maybe in the future. Please remember guys though, if your calling numbers to check that they are not on the TPS TCPS list.
    http://www.numbercheck.co.uk/logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

I will say I tend to have more luck in the following categories. Nursing homes, rest and retirement, schools, hotels, pubs and bars. Housing associations are notoriously difficult as are property management - but all worth a call. If the person isnt there who you need to speak with, and the receptionist says "is there anything I can help you with?", just say "no, its ok, its a sales call, I will call back", this then gets you out of the scenario of the person who has answered the call saying no. Best time for calling I find is between 10 and 12pm and then after 2pm. I understand though that's difficult for you guys -even if you can spare 1 hour a week to whizz through some calls your building your database. Happy dialling!! PS I have a very cheap data supplier with all numbers checked for 28 days if thats of any help to anybody £50 for 5000 numbers

Have you been on the blower Hinty? Interested to know how you got on

8. Paul

Paul Guest

Catherine do you put across that you could try to save them money and still get good quality service ? As I could imagine that will be the best selling point.

9. Catherine

Catherine Guest

Yes I do Paul, but its loyalty issues that stump the call, money very rarely comes into it. They are loyal to current contractors, they have formed a relationship, and that's hard to break. Money bares no factor. All I can say really is guys get on the phone and monitor the response. The people that I call are loyal and if the same guy has been there for 10 years, their not going to change, this is why you need to build a database where you can "stick your nose in" In sales we call it "pipelining" sometimes you wont get an instant result but youve got your base to call from.

10. Paul

Paul Guest

loyalty is not always a bad thing is it, i hope i get customers like that.

Advertisement