Culling, needed but still sad... no?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Kennygggkent, Oct 4, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Kennygggkent

Kennygggkent Transparent Window Cleaning

Hello Chaps, we all have to do it sometimes but culling still takes it toll doesn't it?

Today I had two frank conversations with customers that I had to decide were either expecting too much or where being undercharged.

One I left a little note with my bill last time saying: Hello Mrs ......., your windows are nice and clean for another 12 weeks, just a note to say that your bill will be going up next time, by £10, I appreciate this is a big jump so please let me know if you still want my service.

I missed her call, but got a nasty little voice message saying she thinks it's disgusting putting the prices up by that much and definitely wont be using me again. DISGUSTING!

Which was really sad because she has a big house which I have been cleaning 4 times a year for as little £15 a time!

Then later in the day I got a call from a custy which I knew would trouble from the start, posh and rich as hell but they want everything for free and want it perfect! now I believe in value for money, but these guys got me back there for no reason really, maybe one smear. and where walking me around trying to show me dirt that clearly wasn't there.

Anyway, I did the old speech about managing expectations, but she really wasn't getting it. So I tried saying it in a different way but still no. So I finally said: "look really I cant be having this conversation every 8 weeks", so I'll do any windows that you feel need doing again as a act of good will but after that I think we call that the last clean. SHE WAS GUTTED, turned her back on me and started huffing. so I got me gear out and started cleaning already clean windows, until she came out 5 mins later to say that the husband says not to bother!

Needed but still sad.... a?

Advertisement
  2. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Initially its annoying that you have lost a couple of customers, but after a week or so the annoyance wares off and the realisation that 2 sh1t customers are off the list ready to be replaced by others that your happy to see, will make your days work a happier one.
    I've been ruthless quite recently since my worker left and am enjoying customizing my round

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I don't ever feel guilty or bad
    End of the day it is business
    I had a bit of a cull recently and worked out i want £400 of new monthly work to be happy
    That was thursday and i now am £157 closer to that target without any canvassing / leafletting
    Never worry about dropping jobs that don't benefit you as there are more round the corner

4. Dragbag

Dragbag Active Member

Is that by word of mouth Davey or facebook, canversing from door to door is what I'v been doing when not on the glass, but it's a bit of a killer:cool:

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

That is facebook, word of mouth and walk ups

6. brianbadonde

brianbadonde Member

Dont feel bad. I have dropped a fair few lately. Mainly ones that have to be in to go through their house, late payers, and jobs I simply dont enjoy. If you are good at what you do you will get a lot of work through word of mouth and walk ups. If youre doing it full time then you want to make it as stress free as possible. Life is too short!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. J and S

J and S Active Member

Putting it up by a tenner would deter most people.

8. Kennygggkent

Yeah, i thought she might kick off. Should of been £25 from the start really so would if been nice if she appriciated that she got a great deal for ages!

9. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

I wouldn't feel sad about it. It's one **** customer and one underpaid job less that you've got to worry about and you'll replace them in a day or two.

Saying that, maybe the first customer might have taken it a bit better if you'd had a nice little chat with her, explained you'd underpriced the job from the start and told her about running costs blah, blah, blah. She'd have at least then understood your reasons for the price increase.

10. Kennygggkent

Yeah totally agree, it sod's law because she wasn't in to talk her through it and when she called i missed it but she showed her true colours leaving a nasty message rather that just asking for a reason.

Advertisement