curing bad radio reception

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by boarcity, Jun 28, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. boarcity

boarcity Guest

my current vans always had sh/tty radio reception. i renewed the roof aerial....no good, twice ,,still no good. then i had the idea-maybe the aerial needs to be higher than the ladders to work well.
    Photo-0009.jpg . to prove the point i made up a long aerial using a 4ft bamboo cane with bell wire wrapped around it [bottom end of wire goes into place of the original whip aerial

RESULT! Great reception i can hear stations many miles away clear as a bell now

Advertisement
  2. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

Better way would be to expose the wire of the aerial and run a copper wire from it to the ladders on the roof, if done right the ladders will act as an aerial and improve signal

3. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Have you tried this^
    A whip antenna is the standard omni directional radio antenna

4. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

Ive used the principle before. Was a infantry signaller for 4 years, used to use barn roofs, or anything big and metal to boost signal on HF radios. Used to listen to bbc radio on it when not using it so should work in theory

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Clisty you would know about coiling a few metres of insulated wire around a pole of some sort to make a small pole act like a few metres of arial
    I have done one with about 30m of wire round a broomstick wrapped really tightly
    It is in effect a 30m aerial..if it's already high enough on a roof to avoid obstacles you will be able to get any pirate station for miles crystal clear
    That is how the pirate radio aerials were done on our estate lol
    I have used my ladders as an aerial in the past effectively

6. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

True, just thought it would be less obvious and draw less attention, and takes seconds to rig up, plus im lazy and its easier

7. Jimroot

Jimroot Guru

Unless the ladder was vertical I can't see any advantage over the bamboo whip antenna
    Plus you'd have to remember to decouple each time the ladder was off?

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Lazy scaly :rofl:

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Surface area
    If you are only getting a slight signal reach your skinny aerial a bigger surface area would catch more of the weak signal due to the size of it

10. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

All to do with the area of metal and the way radio ways travel. The science is a nightmare and will give u a headache. In my attic the theory fills 3x A4 notebooks!

Advertisement