Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning These Smallish Windows- Best Way?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

buzzing

I was cleaning these smallish windows today and they have a metal frame thingee separating each pane of glass. It is quite sharp- could it damage my squeegee? I was using a small six inch squeegee. i would use the applicator and then wash four panes then use the small squeegee to wipe downwards twice then a microfibre cloth to detail and dry off any bits the squeegee hadn't taken care of, is this the right way?

This was my second job and the whole house (bungalow) took me 2 hrs, i asked for £15 but she paid me £20 and wants me back, but I thought I would earn more than this, am I pricing wrong?

Also the frames and sills were filthy, with spiders and their nests etc and webs, is it the case of using a 50cm by 25cm towel to clean all that? Any spiders in the Uk that bite lol?

View attachment 616

Thats a leaded window.

A good idea if your squeegee can fit inside the squares then use that.

Any other leaded window in different pattens best not use a squeegee as it can nick the rubber.

On a large leaded like that I would just soap it all up, then use my 12 or 14 inch to do straight pulls then clean up with a scrim. Or you could just scrum the lot is its not that dirty

It will just take time starting mate til you find your rhythm then you will learn your work and how is the best to do each house

Ignore the leaded bits and do it as normal then use a scrim to tidy up what blading didnt get. Use sill cloth to get frame clean first. Ive never been bitten by a spider yet....

lol was never a spider lover myself but I've learned to get used to em now, I've had a few cleans where they were crawling all over me. No not been bitten though /emoticons/biggrin.png

I had a fear of spiders! well still do if I see huge ones!

Like Dodger, I have got used to them as theres been plenty around cause of summer.

As regards the price, first cleans always take longer, it all depends how many windows the customer has. a price of roughly £1 per window is usuallly a good price. The customer clearly is happy with the price so she might well prove to be a regular customer for you /emoticons/smile.png

They used to sell lead tape, that you stuck on to the windows. (DIY Regency). On the left window a strip can be seen peeling. Bring it to your customers attention next time you go.

All the best.

Gray1

scrim is a micro fibre cloth? So just use applicator to clean all of the window in one go then use the scrim to polish clean up the windows? How long does this take?

No No.

Aplicator on window, towl to get majority of the water off, then microfiber cloth to buff.

Microfibre cloth is different to a scrim, use scrims to detail with.

scrim is a micro fibre cloth? So just use applicator to clean all of the window in one go then use the scrim to polish clean up the windows? How long does this take?
Just put a couple of lines of cleaning fluid and scrim all over the window till polished.

Scrim and micro fibre are two different things that do the same job. Try both and see which you prefer, I like scrim best but others will disagre with me

I find yeah they do same job, but microfibre is better at buffing.

Microfibre smear less but soaks up water like wildfire.

Scrims are good at soaking water, and takes a while for it to get damp.

I have loads of houses with this style of window...all on one estate. After much farting about, using different methods I have found the best method for me is to wash the windows with the applicator (not too wet)...then dry the majority of water with a big (82cm x 62cm) premium quality microfibre, then finish off with another big premium microfibre. The key is to have a couple of big premium fine weave cloth. Also, make sure that the applicator is well wrung out. It works a treat...I promise.

I have loads of houses with this style of window...all on one estate. After much farting about, using different methods I have found the best method for me is to wash the windows with the applicator (not too wet)...then dry the majority of water with a big (82cm x 62cm) premium quality microfibre, then finish off with another big premium microfibre. The key is to have a couple of big premium fine weave cloth. Also, make sure that the applicator is well wrung out. It works a treat...I promise.
Where do you get the microfibres from , and how much?

I mop, blade then micro leadeds. I used to mop then micro, but found the glass was smeared and really did look shite.

That shouldnt be the case tuffers if you use two big premium micros...one for the intial wipe and one to buff up. Mine look pristine!..lol
Ah, but you get through more micros your way surely? I have an old blade to use on lead, just so I don't take nicks out of my best blades. Not done much trad the last 3 weeks as I moved to wfp. Can't say I miss it either.

Not with the big quality fine weave ones. The dry cloth will last for a few detached houses and the cloth for the wet work, possibly two or three detached houses.

Back